PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If I make it to 60 I'll be amazed so the heck with it. Might as well enjoy what I have left to the most.
Living without all the things that make it enjoyable seems pointless.
Existing to just exist sounds more painful to me than taking some risks.
I am not saying to shave years off one's life but the finer points of it are to me what make it.

Else we would not have our Hemingways and so forth. Live it as it fits your outlook I guess.
I always say the best part of being healthier isn't that you get more years, but that you feel better and more functional during whatever years you have left. I've never been able to take care of myself by thinking about being alive 20 years later, but I have been able to take care of myself by thinking about how much less annoying and frustrating now can be. Example I didn't care much about gaining too much weight until my knees started hurting then I shed the pounds and kept them off. Just something you made me think about.

peacepiper85

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
I tried smoking a pipe some thirty years ago but never liked it, but I found new interest after walking into a pipe shop and purchasing a churchwarden pipe a week ago. I fired it up today for the first time and at age 64 found I really liked sitting on the porch and smoking this new pipe. Now being a person who has never really smoked I have health concerns due to the fact I may really like this.
I think as with most things, common sense prevails-so do what you enjoy, but in moderation. I know smokers who just need their fix but really don’t enjoy being a slave to nicotine.
Not knocking a cigarette smoker, but I think the motivation and enjoyment with respect to pipe smoking is different. That said, enjoy sensibly.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
In my past, I’ve done much worse things to my body. I no longer drink, do drugs, smoke cigarettes or fornicate with strange. Comparatively speaking...the pipe has been good for my mentality. We can’t live in a bubble. Make sure you don’t inhale too much, rinse and take care of your mouth...that’s about all I can say.☕

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I think as with most things, common sense prevails-so do what you enjoy, but in moderation. I know smokers who just need their fix but really don’t enjoy being a slave to nicotine.
Not knocking a cigarette smoker, but I think the motivation and enjoyment with respect to pipe smoking is different. That said, enjoy sensibly.
never really ever a cig smoker. Sure the teenage tryout as many did back decades ago. I don't miss that taste if you want to call it that.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I just had a vision of me laying in bed smoking my pipe with an oxygen tank next to me feeding me oxygen while I smoke my pipe. Now that is what I call determination.
Oxygen generators work out better over the long run. Get a big guy for the home and a portable.
They are a great way to start the day, too!

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I always say the best part of being healthier isn't that you get more years, but that you feel better and more functional during whatever years you have left. I've never been able to take care of myself by thinking about being alive 20 years later, but I have been able to take care of myself by thinking about how much less annoying and frustrating now can be. Example I didn't care much about gaining too much weight until my knees started hurting then I shed the pounds and kept them off. Just something you made me think about.
Fat I am not. Chef I was and love to cook. I think I just like the finer things. When I was well to do- I certainly indulge. I am now at the end of my wine stock and so on. Still- we try to travel but Europe is off limits due to time.

So hey smoke well, if you shall drink- then drink the good stuff as possible. Big fan of the Gestalt theory and the here/now.
I should have fell of the side of a mountain a long time ago so I am not sure I can even knock myself off (oh the stories).

Reactions: kurtbob

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I've never had a doctor directly state that smoking is bad or to quit(sane doctors I guess) one told me that there is no upside without downside so that was reasonable. Someone told me once 'you need to go easy' and 'you need to be careful with this stuff' but that's it. I wanted to know though; Does anyone think filters make the experience healthier? Is a filter pleasurable? I've never tried one.

Reactions: cosgringo

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Try them and find out for yourself. I don't think it makes it 'healthier' in so far as whatever maladies are s'posed to result from smoking, with the sole exception of tongue bite/burn, perhaps.
Is it like a cigarette filter? I'd probably need to find the right size for one of my pipes. I can get one of those Savinelli wood ones I suppose.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Is it like a cigarette filter? I'd probably need to find the right size for one of my pipes. I can get one of those Savinelli wood ones I suppose.
Not quite. I'm no expert on cigarettes; but the filters for pipes are more about absorbing moisture that can lead to tongue burn. Some makers, like Dr Perl Jr. also advertise that their filters absorb a given amount of nicotine and other combustion products for a 'cleaner' smoking experience. I hardly ever get nicotine from a pipe, filter or no filter, so I can't tell you they're right or wrong.

I like the balsa ones, and the maple ones Brigham pipes use.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Not quite. I'm no expert on cigarettes; but the filters for pipes are more about absorbing moisture that can lead to tongue burn. Some makers, like Dr Perl Jr. also advertise that their filters absorb a given amount of nicotine and other combustion products for a 'cleaner' smoking experience. I hardly ever get nicotine from a pipe, filter or no filter, so I can't tell you they're right or wrong.

I like the balsa ones, and the maple ones Brigham pipes use.
I'll try a balsa.

Reactions: olkofri

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Does anyone think filters make the experience healthier? Is a filter pleasurable? I've never tried one.

I'm new to smoking, so take this for what it's worth. I always smoke with a charcoal filter (9mm). I have found the balsa ones to only absorb some moisture. I think the charcoal ones do absorb nicotine and other impurities. I find it provides a perfect resistance to the draw that allows one to smoke slowly, and therefore rarely does the pipe overheat. But "healthier" as you put it??? I have a hard time using any form of the word "healthy" with pipe smoking. However, I do think charcoal filters reduce some of the risks. Smoke lower nicotine blends, and DON'T drink alcohol while smoking and you lower the risks considerably more.

Reactions: Bowie

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I'm new to smoking, so take this for what it's worth. I always smoke with a charcoal filter (9mm). I have found the balsa ones to only absorb some moisture. I think the charcoal ones do absorb nicotine and other impurities. I find it provides a perfect resistance to the draw that allows one to smoke slowly, and therefore rarely does the pipe overheat. But "healthier" as you put it??? I have a hard time using any form of the word "healthy" with pipe smoking. However, I do think charcoal filters reduce some of the risks. Smoke lower nicotine blends, and DON'T drink alcohol while smoking and you lower the risks considerably more.
Well I'm screwed I guess. The filters kill it for me and my whole ritual is typically at a late hour when I find it proper for an adult beverage.
I am going green though and will not taking up precious land with tongueless body. Burn me along with a nice esoterica mix.

nauzetobserv

Lurker
Aug 4, 2022
I know a guy who started doing drugs and smoking heavily once he turned 60. He told me he had lived enough and now wants to enjoy life finally. I am not sure I would do it, but it looks romantic.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Status
Not open for further replies.