PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Renaldo

I tried smoking a pipe some thirty years ago but never liked it, but I found new interest after walking into a pipe shop and purchasing a churchwarden pipe a week ago. I fired it up today for the first time and at age 64 found I really liked sitting on the porch and smoking this new pipe. Now being a person who has never really smoked I have health concerns due to the fact I may really like this.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
We've just had a lengthy discussion on the health concerns:

Feel free to read it and be relieved or scared. Pipe smoking is not a risk free activity, nor is it something that is guaranteed to make you ill or kill you. In the end, the only person who will have to make an informed decision on whether to pursuit it or not is yourself.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
64 is just a hop down the road for me. That was going to be when I was going to start doing all the stuff that would have killed me if I were younger. puffy
Agreed! I didn’t pursue Olympic level sports as a youngster because I was worried about a lifetime of wear and tear ruining my joints. At 64, I think it’s safe to try out for Olympic sprinting.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Most of the smokers I knew who have died from cancer started smoking cigarettes in their teens and smoked beyond their diagnosis. I lost a brother-in-law last month who was 77 years old and had been smoking cigarettes since he was 14. He was told 8 years ago to stop smoking and he didn't.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Maybe we should all just lock ourselves in our house and never leave! Never know if you'll trip out the door and hit your head and die, hit by a distracted driver or attacked by a crazy person. Puree all our food and take extremely small sips incase a choking hazard arises. Wouldn't want to fall asleep incase I never wake up..... See my point. Just live life and enjoy it.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I've been grappling with this lately. I've only been smoking a pipe regularly for 2 years, with an occasional cigar thrown in. I used to be am occasional/social cigarette smoker but quit that in 2006. I had a bad case or bronchitis 6 weeks ago which hasn't fully resolved, and have had nasal congestion the past week and had a bad bout of that last year as well. I normally rarely if ever get sick.

Everyone is different. For me, even without inhaling I find that pipe smoke gets into my throat and lungs and inevitably in nasal passage when I retrohale. And I do find it irritates me if I smoke with any frequency. So I am committing to only smoke a pipe only very occasionally when I get over this persistent cold. For me that means once, maybe twice a week.

But I really do believe that everyone's body is different. I enjoy pipe smoking and it sounds like you do as well. As someone said, it seems virtually impossible that any harm will result from short term smoking. So try it out, see how you feel and how your body reacts, and adjust accordingly while being aware of the risks.

You are way more likely to get mouth or a sinus cancer than lung cancer from pipes and cigars. Your dentist is going to be your first line of defense. Move the pipe around in your mouth while you smoke, so that you are not aggravating the same spot ion your mouth over and over, and get a dental cleaning and check up twice a year. And, be honest with you dentist.

The father of a friend of mine had his dentist catch the cancer in his mouth before it got out of control, and saved his life.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I had a pretty major health issue last Fall (not pipe related)...I have proceeded to smoke my pipe moderately and have gotten serious about controlling other factors (diet and exercise) and take my medications religiously. I keep the pipe cool and don't really 'feel' the nicotine ...I know I am not doing myself any favors but I also feel like the body will give you feedback.

Also agree with seeing a dentist regularly, they know when something doesn't look right..I think that's the biggest area of concern for a pipe smoker. ...for me the biggest health concern is not giving into the urge to dig on the floor for the tamper I dropped for the 10,000th time while driving lol

We each have to evaluate this for ourselves, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer...it's not healthy, but I don't think it's impossible to take a moderate/reasonable approach...kinda like cake.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Pipe Smokers Live Longer

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the fact is that every time I've seen or heard of a piper getting ill from it they've been the type of smoker that the pipe never leaves their mouth. A few bowls here or there shouldn't make an appreciable difference to your over all well being. And if you're like me it probably helps keep me around longer as I snack less the more regularly I pipe it. Also seems the biggest hazard of pipes is breathing in the second hand smoke, which is why a very important question is where do you smoke? On the porch, on a walk, or sitting inside in a poorly ventilated room?

Reactions: JOHN72 and Egg Shen
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
You are way more likely to get mouth or a sinus cancer than lung cancer from pipes and cigars. Your dentist is going to be your first line of defense. Move the pipe around in your mouth while you smoke, so that you are not aggravating the same spot ion your mouth over and over, and get a dental cleaning and check up twice a year. And, be honest with you dentist.

The father of a friend of mine had his dentist catch the cancer in his mouth before it got out of control, and saved his life.
Good point Cosmic,but unfortunately I have to tell the truth about our dentists those who are employed in city/community healthcare institutions, in places where rates for treatments are 30%less than at private-run operations, these folks aren't interested in your general health nor they do check nothing more that was planned in prior, they'd fill your tooth and gets rid of you as soon as possible+ in order to get appointment one has to wait at least two weeks if not emergency, that's how the so called free med care is run in reality

Status
Not open for further replies.