Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Good point Cosmic,but unfortunately I have to tell the truth about our dentists those who are employed in city/community healthcare institutions, in places where rates for treatments are 30%less than at private-run operations, these folks aren't interested in your general health nor they do check nothing more that was planned in prior, they'd fill your tooth and gets rid of you as soon as possible+ in order to get appointment one has to wait at least two weeks if not emergency, that's how the so called free med care is run in reality
Same shit here with our physicians. They're in the employ of the gov't, and they care more about the health of the System than about the health of their patients. They just bullshit you to get rid of you. Expect to hear all kinds of crap about tobacco from them, since anti-tobacco is part of the System's policy line. The more I think about it, tobacco is actually useful for the System: it shifts all the responsibility, onus, and 'blame' onto the patient: diagnosis is thus easy; likewise prescriptions; and no time 'wasted' actually researching the real causes of the illnesses.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Same shit here with our physicians. They're in the employ of the gov't, and they care more about the health of the System than about the health of their patients. They just bullshit you to get rid of you. Expect to hear all kinds of crap about tobacco from them, since anti-tobacco is part of the System's policy line. The more I think about it, tobacco is actually useful for the System: it shifts all the responsibility, onus, and 'blame' onto the patient: diagnosis is thus easy; likewise prescriptions; and no time 'wasted' actually researching the real causes of the illnesses.

olkofri, my physician is a pipe smoker.
AND he lives in your home town.
So reconcile those facts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums has this discussion from time to time, and rightly so. You have basically three choices. Don't smoke the pipe or anything else, and don't chew or do snuff. Smoke your pipe in some kind of moderation, only on designated holidays, or specific designated holidays, or one bowl a day, or two -- whatever makes you comfortable and no longer has you concerned. Or smoke as much as you want whenever you want, if you decide this is not a health issue, or the health issue doesn't concern you after all. It sounds to me like you are in the moderation camp, as am I, but it is entirely up to you. I certainly wouldn't smoke at all if the amount of smoking you are inclined to do keeps you in a state of doubt and stress. That isn't worth it.

R

Renaldo

Thanks all, I have lived on the edge my whole life so at this point I think if it feels good do it, just not to much!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks all, I have lived on the edge my whole life so at this point I think if it feels good do it, just not to much!

"Not too much" is a good perspective. Moderation in tobacco use is wise...and it is not living on the edge.

It is only due to the BS anti-tobacco propaganda that most people think any tobacco use at all is living on the edge. The average American is already living on the edge due primarily to their diet.

If your intention is to be a light to moderate pipe smoker, there is no credible data I've ever seen that indicates it to be more than a very minimal health risk. But only you can make that determination for yourself.

Jan 27, 2020
Forums has this discussion from time to time, and rightly so. You have basically three choices. Don't smoke the pipe or anything else, and don't chew or do snuff. Smoke your pipe in some kind of moderation, only on designated holidays, or specific designated holidays, or one bowl a day, or two -- whatever makes you comfortable and no longer has you concerned. Or smoke as much as you want whenever you want, if you decide this is not a health issue, or the health issue doesn't concern you after all. It sounds to me like you are in the moderation camp, as am I, but it is entirely up to you. I certainly wouldn't smoke at all if the amount of smoking you are inclined to do keeps you in a state of doubt and stress. That isn't worth it.

I must say your often post wise and interestingly worded responses. Anyway, my pipe smoking is only in its second week and actually have found that it has improved my life beyond just enjoying the habit; somehow I have been drinking less. Because of my living situation and the general pace of my life I can only have two bowls a day in a way that I find enjoyable, the one before bed is while walking the dog and previously every other day I would stop by a liquor store and buy a couple nippers of Bushmills for before bed. Now, I just don’t feel interested. Like many things, when done in moderation, not only are vices not that harmful but they might effect one’s quality of life in a way that has a positive impact on health.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Says it all...
Mfe0ISr.jpg

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
After turning 50 a handful of years ago I started thinking about mortality as you do (you read about folks dying in their 50’s way way more than they do in their 40’s) ?

But it was only a few days ago I accepted that if I am to succumb to some terminal disease, ailment or condition in the coming years & it may be related to my many years of smoking… at least I’ll get peace of mind from knowing that I won’t die in a fiery-ball or drown in the ocean or drop from a great height or get shanked in prison or etc etc etc… and for as bad as cancer etc is, all of those violent deaths scare the bejesus out of me way more than lung disease!

Glass half-full, that’s me ?

Reactions: chopper and kurtbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Started smoking when I was 12. This year marks 40 years of smoking. Stopped cigarettes some time ago. I'm sure as hell damage is already done. It's just a question of when. I got better things to worry about. Just hope it's quick.

Reactions: chopper and kurtbob

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the U.S. Surgeon Generals report that found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.
Pipe smokers who don't inhale live three years beyond that of a non-smoker.

Pipe smoking can be quite relaxing.
I've learnt many forms of meditation over the years and regularly run meditation groups.
Sitting on ones back-step or porch, watching the sunset or night sky while puffing on a pipe IS a form of meditation.

Stress is a big contributor to disease. It's a well known fact that those who meditate regularly are at a far lesser risk of heart disease, cancer and other illness.

Back in the day when oral cancers among smokers was not uncommon, it was due to two factors;
1. Oral health was rather poor. Tar from tobacco aggravates mouth sores/wounds & can eventually lead to a cancer.
2. Working men mostly smoked clay pipes. When a clay pipe does not have a glazed end, it can often stick to a dry lip [just like an untipped/filtered RYO paper does] When pulled off the lip it often causes a small tear. When tar from tobacco gets into the wound it can lead to cancer over time.

The BIGGEST difference between pipe tobacco and cigarettes is that tailor-made cigs have a staggering 300-600 added chemicals. Pipe tobacco has none other than some blends that may have a little harmless PG or glycerine & aromatics with food grade flavourings.

Over 20 years ago I was diagnosed with the smoking related Buergers disease. For 10 years I struggled. Quitting was torture. Some attempts lasted 6 months but stress &/or depression would have me lighting up a nail.
Around 10 years ago I switched to a pipe & smoke mild, mild to medium blends with mild nicotine levels.
My only regret is that I didn't switch years earlier.

Despite being an inhaler, I've lost my smokers cough, symptoms from my Buergers disease are no longer aggravated & I feel much healthier. No longer do I crave and can go many hours without and not notice when otherwise occupied. I'm now smoking way less than when I smoked cigarettes.

Puffing on a pipe gives me a lot of enjoyment. It's one of my few remaining pleasures in life.
To be perfectly honest they can take my pipe from me when I'm dead.
There's far worse things that can happen to a bloke than death.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the U.S. Surgeon Generals report that found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.
Pipe smokers who don't inhale live three years beyond that of a non-smoker.
Probably because quite a number of pipers no longer believe that or put too much weight on that finding. Some pipers want to believe that pipe smoking IS unhealthy no matter what.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There is nothing efficacious about any type of smoking at any level. Just accept that fact and enjoy your pipe. I do. Now whether a minimal amount of tobacco (You'll have to define minimal yourself.) use will be detrimental to you, take the risk and you'll have an answer sometime in the future.

Reactions: gervais and BROBS

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
If I make it to 60 I'll be amazed so the heck with it. Might as well enjoy what I have left to the most.
Living without all the things that make it enjoyable seems pointless.
Existing to just exist sounds more painful to me than taking some risks.
I am not saying to shave years off one's life but the finer points of it are to me what make it.

Else we would not have our Hemingways and so forth. Live it as it fits your outlook I guess.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The rabid anti-tobacco crowd would be most pleased. Ideologists aren't interested in the facts.
For years the medical establishment has been arguing among it's self if it would be a good idea to tell people that cigarettes kill and other forms of tobacco aren't as good for you as a salad. Which seems incredible stupid and misguided until you have to deal with patients and then you'll be amazed that their stance isn't just go take a nap on a train track. Oh god the number of times I've said I don't think that's what your doctor meant. Example how many people will eat a whole cake after the doctor said you'll be fine having a slice on your birthday. So there is a reason why they think we're all a bunch of children who can't understand what words mean and that's because there are a lot more of us who are a bunch of children who can't understand what words mean.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.