PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
After packing up some envelope samples to those I promised, I have half of a 1 ounce pressed cake cut in two pieces. The 1st two who PM me that want to try it will get an envelope. I have to slice em up a little so they spread out in the envelope but still are thin slices of the cake. The cakes look exactly as the above image.
The joy is in the giving!

Trades of 1 ounce cakes to those who have tried it would be welcomed.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
So I got an amazing set of samplers from Hawke. The one I was most excited to try was the HIM. I finally got my tongue all healed up and was able to smoke a sample. Boy when I opened the bag I would have sworn it was an aro. Anyway it smells amazing and tastes amazing. I can't wait to smoke a few more bowls of it to try and get a better handle on it.
Thank you so much brother for your generosity. Also sorry for being so late to getting around to posting my comments.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Since my posting of
The 1st two who PM me that want to try it will get an envelope.
no one has asked but when I offer a sample to folks they say didn't want to ask for various reasons but would like to try it. So along with those, I'm going back through the list of trades made and getting some out to guys who I feel really went over the top trading. Expect random mail over the next month as I make more for myself and some to mail out.
Thank you all for the wonderful reviews and your generous mailings to me. Ive gained some valuable knowledge of not only aged blends but some I wouldn't have normally bought. What a great hobby this is!
2 Ounce Cake

2lu2nty.jpg

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Alright, alright, since no one wants it... I will take the 2 oz. cake. :rofl:
I hope you are well Hawke.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Wish you would add a component write up, Like GL Pease and C&D do. Pm me the basics and I'll do a label description for you, based on my tasting notes. Or Not. I just see a description on the other side of that tin black font on sky blue. I recently smoked HIM in a cob that I smoke C&D's Golden Days of Yore in. I was amazed that Golden Days didn't come through at all and fowl up the flavors of HIM.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I opened my sample yesterday, just getting home from my 28 days on the rig. The pouch note reminded me of F&K's Merde de Cheval, but that is where the comparison ends. First light took quickly, and was sweet. It settled into a smooth, cool smoke, nutty and chocolately, like a burley blend, and cool like just enough Latakia to tame the beast without the smokiness one would expect. I could see this being an all day smoke; it stayed flavorful and consistent through to the end. Very good stuff!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Wish you would add a component write up.
"Made from Mother Nature's non-aromatic natural and fermented tobacco's said to be touched by The Great Spirit. Specially formulated for the Pipe Ceremony".
Run with that perdurabo.
smiley-scared003.gif

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
perdurabo, you motivated me to come up with that just now, LOL. I so want to tell what is in it and the full process, but I have to say there has been a bit of spiritual involvement of sorts. These types of things are impossible to describe and also conjure up contrasting discussions which would deter from the magic held within these cakes.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Honestly? I hadn't tried it yet :( however, after sitting on it a few weeks, I just remedied that. First of all, how'd you pack it into that "biscuit" form? The moisture context and texture is perfect! I broke off a bit, packed it, and had it perfectly lit in all of 5 seconds. I've NEVER had that happen with any tobacco the first time I smoke a blend. My palate is NOT ultra refined, so having me pick out the component make up will be an excercise in futility. At first puff it tasted a bit light/bland. As I began to type the response, the aftertaste turned into pure sweet va/per! Maybe a bit of bur? It's super easy to smoke and LOVE that sweet aftertaste!!!! To me, the taste a blend leaves once you put down the pipe is how I form my opinion. It's really good stuff man!!!
update: just finished first bowl. It burns so very perfectly!!! all the way to the bottom in a fine ash. Great construction!!!! I would've told you without hesitation if i hadn't liked it which had me a bit worried because i wouldn't felt bad saying "not a fan" so once that sweet taste kicked in i breathed a sigh of relief ;)

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Whahooo! Who da man, Who da man! Hahaha
wqyh3o.jpg

Actually I almost wish someone would say they didn't care for it so I could be sure the comments weren't people just being kind.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hawke ... thanks for the sample! I finally had a chance to sit down with this blend and really enjoyed it.
Here is my take / review ...
Hawke's Indian Moon: Upon opening the bag, I was greeted with a sweet, musty, light chocolate smell. Very nice! Inspecting the leaf, and further sniffing, tells me that this contains a healthy dose of Red Virginia and Perique. I let the tobacco dry out for around 15-20 minutes and chose a well used MM Washington for my first smoke. The charring light revealed sweet Red Virginia flavors, some graham cracker and a little stewed fruit. Once the pipe was going strong, the musty, semi-sweet chocolate flavors came out more. Towards the end, a little pepper finally reared it's head and the bowl finished strong. For the second smoke, I grabbed a Rossi Napoli bent billiard and had the same rewarding experience. Lovers of Va/Per's could easily make this an "all-day" blend.
Congrats on a successful blend, Hawke! :clap:

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I felt the need to revise my previous review!
Originally I enjoyed Hawke's Indian Moon in a Meerschaum pipe. I decided upon the Meerschaum, in order to maintain a pure flavor, while "dissecting" the experience. Come to find out, under certain circumstances, even after a cleaning, a Meerschaum pipe can ghost, and produce off-putting flavors.
Today, I decided to finish the second half of my Indian Moon sample in a cob; and an already good blend, became an exceptional smoke!

Gone are the more savory, "meaty", and curing spices flavors -- wonderfully replaced by a dark cocoa taste.
It was such a flavorful, mellow, and lovely experience, I insisted my wife join me in finishing the bowl. She also approves -- which is saying something. We're both sad to see the last burning embers go.
Looks like I'll need to start aging some flake, in order to have tobacco currency in the future.
Thank you again, Hawke, for allowing me access to this amazing blend. ... and let this be a lesson in, "Trying several bowls of a blend, before writing a review."

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Alrighty Jeffery! I just sent out 5 little boxes and I have you, carbonmated, and iamn8 scheduled for the next mailings.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Hawke, sir! You really didn't need to do that! Yes, it's an amazing blend; and, yes, I will sing it's praises from the rooftop! But Hawke's Indian Moon is your pride and joy, and you need to dangle that proverbial carrot over my head, until I get some trading fodder accumulated.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Inspired by the pictures posted by cgrd at This Thread, I couldn't resist trying my hand at such close-up magnified images with primitive tools. I have no plume to capture but I was amazed at what could be done with a camera and loop! The far right is at 12x Optical zoom by my camera and looking through the jewelers loop.
8xvor5.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
OK Hawke this is for you. Attention all members this is terrible stuff so everybody sent your samples to me for proper disposal. I will burn it all up. HOWS THAT HAWKe?

Status
Not open for further replies.