PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I just pinched off some HIM and threw in some of this 1997 Latakia. Quite satisfying. I don't know why I never did this before. I was thinking I didn't want to mix the two styles. I have been quite pleased with the 1997 version Lat, mixing it with Orientals. Normally I wouldn't do the two together, but if you are a lat lover like me, you might throw some blending latakia in with the HIM. I did once put some Blending Lat with Lane1Q which was interesting and similar to this mixture of HIM and Lat. See this thread.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
The simple homemade press I am currently using. Two ounces fills the 6" of 2" PVC to the top. It is compressed between 1/2" thick by 2" diameter wooden dowels to the result shown of 1 1/4". Waxed paper keeps the cake from sticking to the wooden dowels.
Put tobacco in and tighten. After one day it can be compressed another 1/2 inch or so. Two or three days in the press gives good results. The crumble cake can then be removed and jarred for aging or broken up, slightly dried and smoked. Ideally pressing until the oils barely ooze out.

27x268.jpg

jra34o.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'm running out of the components to make HIM right now. All sample mailings have to be put on hold. I have 2 ounces packed up but I'm going to hold on to them until I can replenish my component stocks.
Current list to send to next is as follows:

skraps

carbonmated

draco

gloucesterman

bubbleheaddiver

mayfair70

peckinpahhombre
Did I miss someone?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@hawke
Take your time good sir. I'm just grateful for the opportunity to sample your highly sought after blend.
Peace !

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Just finished up the last bit you recently sent me. Did'nt have enough for a hole bowl so mixed it with my favorite mixing blend. Jack Knife Plug. WOW Kick Ass! Thanks Hawke! Keep your eyes on the mail box.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
hawke, just finished my sample. I do not have the palette of some but I find this to be damn fine tobacco. I love the crumble cake, I take a pinch off, put it in the bowl and then holding the last little bit I rub out the very top. It lights and stays out like no other tobacco I have ever smoked. I swear I detect some Carter Hall and then something sweet, not over powering just floats in and out as I smoke. Simply put I like HIM quite a bit. It is smooth and leaves a nice creamy aftertaste. Fine job hawke!!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Glad it is so well received. I started back to work yesterday working an outage at a local powerhouse. Supposed to last to almost the end of March. Long hours will be the norm. I'll be a little scarce on the forum probably.
Work presents different circumstances for pipe smoking. I don't have too much time to rub out flakes but at lunch I rubbed out some Brebbia Latakia Flake. Its a little hard to light especially in the wind outside so I topped the bowl off with some Indian Moon which lights easily. Its was pretty cool to have the flakes take off after a core of HIM set it ablaze. The sweetness tuned the taste buds and then the bowl merged into the latakia making a pleasant slow tasty smoke for a lunchtime break. I wish I had a dollar for all the times I wrote my name and address down with all the hire-in paperwork. Nukes sure are picky these days who they hire. Got a week of training to go thru now, after 3 days of pre-training thru my union hall. Geeze!

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I received my sample of Hawke's Indian Moon about 4 days ago. I wanted to wait until I got over my cold to smoke my sample and I am glad that I did. The bag note was of figs and slight amount of chocolate. It burned cool and well with no re-lights. It was smooth and creamy. Bold but not overpowering. It was truly a joy to smoke. Once again than you Hawke for the sample.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
fordm60 sent me some "Fabulous Ford" in trade. Wow man, Very nice smoke! Reminded me of Lane 1Q which we all know is a well received blend. Well done! I like cobguys Black Mamba he made as well. The two personal blends I liked best so far.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'm sorry I didn't see how far this thread went. I got my suprise 2 oz sample about, I would say, a month ago. This stuff is tayz-TEE! Reall nice work on that batch Hawke Man!

I hope the job is treating you well.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm definitely not mad that Hawke accidentally sent me two samples instead of one! I've now tried this blend in a meerschaum and in two different briars. It's very good! Earthy with a touch of spice. I'm guessing burley is a prominent component but I can't be sure (mostly because my palette isn't very experienced yet). But what I do know is that HIM is mellow, fragrant, and tasty. Thank you, Hawke.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
What an awesome thread. I'm also impressed with how you've decided to press your tobacco. The cake looks excellent and hopefully there will be more reviews coming.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Speaking of, anyone heard from Hawke lately? I know he was busy with working on a power outage issue. Hope he's doing ok!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'm alive Clickman. Thanks for asking. I am making a move to get off this job and take another that's less time and half the drive distance. Even a $5 per hour raise maybe. Ive been able to only make enough HIM for myself. 5hrs sleep per night is not enough for this 59 yr old. Something has got to give.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
OK so I finished the Outage job I was on. Man it drained me. I couldn't do all the hours they anted and I am now reeling from a cold. The pollen here is not helping. My next job wont start until a couple weeks it seems so maybe I can get some HIM out to the above folks I promised to and make up more to trade with.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Quick drive-by to say hello to all. I went from the outage job to another nuke plant which is doing time as well. So far Im the only pipe smoker on the project Ive found. I go to night shift after Memorial Day. I am not making much Indian Moon and my spare time of weekends it filled with rest, honey-do lists, and build a birdhouse in the workshop. The birdhouse builds take two weekends if that tells you how much free time I have. Miss my laid-off days hanging with the pipe gang here.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Hawke Man! So glad to see you're well! Seeing you on here reminded me that I have some Indian Moon aging. I think it might be time to have a taste. Keep it smokey brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.