PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
That's great news Hawke! Sounds like a perfect time to celebrate with a pipe full of Hawke's Indian Moon.
Seriously though, I'm glad that you're back on your feet running, sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, thank you hawke for the Indian Moon sample. Like many of my favorites, this blend has an earthy scent in the bag, but once lit comes to life with a robust but not oppressive flavor that is both pleasing and "active," changing a little as you go, with notes of sweetness and tannin, a boost to contentment.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Maybe not the best...and were done when he was quite young. However, they could be revised...and made better.
Kevin Barron

For Indian Moon
IMG_0064_zpstqssmbeg.jpg

For Indian Sunrise which I still need to discuss with you!
IMG_0066_zpszor80mq3.jpg

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I've been smoking Hawke's Indian Moon for a few days now. The first bowl was out of a meer that must have been ghosted with some lat. It was good out of that pipe but not great. I smoked it out of a few briars and cobs now. I have to say that it's probably the best va/per I've ever smoked. I like va/pers a lot but this one has a sweetness to it that is so friggin good! The perique in the mix, tastes like it smells. So sweet and like chocolate, coffee, some fruity notes. Hawke, I imho, this stuff is better than Escudo. Bold statement but I really feel it's true. I dried it out for about an hour and it's heaven man! I jarred up half of the 2 oz sample to put away and age. That's if I can keep myself from smoking it all up. Just awesome man! Thank you!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Thx fluffie666! You know I have not been able to age any. I send out a sample(which is as fun as smoking it) and smoke a little and poof its gone! All I make is 1 ounce cakes. I have two presses. I'm testing other styles, went to Lowes yesterday brain storming on a new style but left empty handed(wife was waiting in the car). I don't want to make larger cakes, if something works, don't fix it.
I cant keep my hands out of it right now either. To clear the taste buds and appreciate the Indian Moon, Ive been smoking Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, and testing out new Latakia blends. I am also able to compare the aged tobbaccos I trade. I buy a new tin and taste both notice the contents and make notes.
After a round of that the Indian Moon shines its subtle glory again. ...and again.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I got mine today and set out on the patio to enjoy it. The smell in the bag is raisen, date, and fig. The unlit pipe tastes like fruit cake - a real one - and spice. My charring light is toasted marshmallows and is my first clue of the goodness to follow. Fully lit it is slightly fruity, with a touch of sweetness and anise, and a little spicy - maybe like whisky. It has a pleasant room note; not harsh at all.
Well done Hawke and thank you!

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I ready my meerschaum and matches, as is tradition when coming into contact with a mystery blend; however, under the circumstances, perhaps a ceremonial pipe may have been more appropriate.
Hawke's Indian Moon was presented to me, meticulously wrapped in foil ― so a proper tin note is difficult to discern ― but, after unloading the compressed cake; comprised of deep brown, reddish brown, and a few strands of pine-colored shag ― I thrust my nostrils into the jar.
The aroma is mild: raisin is prominent, with hints of milk chocolate, light smoke, and... cedar. Aha, a clue! A burley blend, perhaps?
The moisture level is perfect; so I prepare my bowl, and take a dry draw: Earthy, musty, with the familiar notes of cedar, clove, nutmeg, and all spice, with the additional touch of fresh straw.
My first match takes no issues with turning this blend into a satisfying stream of cool, dry, wispy smoke. The experience is reminiscent of a warm summer afternoon in Arizona.
The room-note is savory; taking me back in time, to when I was a child, burning leaves out behind the smokehouse. The air is thick with the aroma of curing spices, aging morsels, and traces of smoldering Latakia leaf.
However, the first sips of the blend are pure burley: dry, nutty, and masculine ― melding swiftly into a smooth, savory, aged wood ― with no distinct bite. This is a meat and potatoes blend; not mom's pot roast and boiled spuds, mind you; but rather, a special evening out at the local steak house. As the feast comes to an end, the flavors further mingle into a matured, yet potent, dry-aged experience.
Hawke's Indian Moon is as pure Americana as a George Catlin painting: bold, proud, and bigger than life. It's a straight forward, unapologetic, blend that is best shared (and savored) in the company of those you respect, encircling the sacred fire, and giving praise to the Great Spirit.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thank you Jeffrey, there was a flavor I could not place, cedar is a good description. It is interesting to read how everyone interprates the flavor of this tobacco. I wonder if all tobaccos are subject to interpretation? This means I need to try more for myself and not only rely on reviews.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Cedar? What!!! LOL Well I do like the smell of cedar, but wouldn't that be harmful?
Thank you Very Much for the comments gang.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Hawke,
Got my sample a few days ago, but have been so busy I haven't been able to sit down with it. I'm off tomorrow for a few days through Christmas. I'll give it the due attention. Thanks again for sending the sample.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Really nice review Jeff. I noticed some latikia when I smoked it out of a meer too. I thought it was just my pipe that was ghosted and decided, after I smoked it out of some cobs and briars, that it didn't have any lat in it. Maybe it does and that particular tobacco only comes out when smoked through meers. It looks like we'll never know what is truly in it. It's the mystery of the moon shrouded in secrecy. Like the spirits, they give people a very personal message. This tobacco does the same. Thank you again Hawke, for bringing this stuff to the light.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow just got a sample and it smells amazing. If Hawke hadn't already said it wasn't an aro I would have thought it was.
I can't wait to smoke a bowl. I assume that rasin/fruity smell is from some perique perhaps?
I'll post a review after a smoke a couple bowls but don't expect anything like Jeff's prose.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Thanks all!
For it being a non-aromatic is quite interesting to me as well. I'm keen on natural fermentation and afraid of tongue bite often related to the moisture levels of aro's so Ive catered to the non-aromatic side. Lane 1Q is considered an aro but I do like it some, however the "Indian Moon" natural contents turn out an amazingly sweet concoction. I see no need to add any topping to this mixture. Glad you all like it so well and take the time to give your comments/reviews. It has delivered me a "Time Machine" in that you kind and generous people are trading your precious aged tobbacos with me furthering my experience faster than I could by aging myself alone.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Finishing up mine tonight. It has been a real treat - thanks so much for sharing your talents and tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.