PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Not to get off topic, but if these rumors are true, C&D is going to end up having a record breaking year in sales going forward, especially if they keep producing these new top tier blends like Dreams of Kadath. Redburn and John Marr just got released today on SP, they look extremely interesting as well.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I'm not a fan of McClelland blends. Got 15 tins for possible trades in the future. Positive I won't be disappointed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If Jack Daniels went out of business, people would continue to drink whiskey. If Fuente got out of the cigar business, people would continue to smoke cigars. The members here are a microscopic representation of the pipe smoking population making up way, way less than 1% of the total. I’d guess McClelland and Dunhillll together comprise well less than 5% of the pipe tobacco market. Others blenders will pick up their market share. The overall impact on the pipe smoking population will be negligible.
I believed the rumors 2 months ago when 5100 started to become scarce and have stocked up accordingly since. I’ve bought and will continue to buy the 2 Dunhill blends I most enjoy. However, there are many other blends I enjoy a lot. In fact, due to the looming extinction of these two blends, I’ve tried many other blends and found many I enjoy.
Life will go on.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The members here are a microscopic representation of the pipe smoking population making up way, way less than 1% of the total. I’d guess McClelland and Dunhillll together comprise well less than 5% of the pipe tobacco market.
That's probably pretty accurate. 90% of pipes tobaccos sold are aromatics.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
On a positive note; if in fact McClelland and Dunhill both go away without anyone continuing to make the blends going forward, you'll at least have new tobacco companies and blends to discover and enjoy. There are so many tobacco blends on the market and Dunhill and McClelland blends only make up a fraction of the market. It's a great opportunity to find your new favorite tobacco.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
220 available 10 minutes ago. Gkr1 grabbed the last 220 tins. You heard it here.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
I may have something to do with that 220 going poof in thin air!!!
Wow. Either someone wants to smoke a lot of 40th...or they want to sell a lot 40th.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Look at the bright side, now some of us newer pipers will also be able to lament the "well this new release just has the same name, I remember when..... :lol:"

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Stock actually shows "-1 on hand" for 40th.

I went ahead an ordered a half dozed 100g tins of Deep Hollow, cause its more my speed for an all day smoker, late last night.

Still some of that around, but likely not for long, either.
I guess if I run into something else I really like, it's gonna get good to have a few tins of 40th stashed away, but I mostly envision smoking this stuff at a gruelingly slow rate for as long as I can make it last, lol.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Wow. Either someone wants to smoke a lot of 40th...or they want to sell a lot 40th

I actually wonder how many B&Ms were ultimately buying from SP.

I know the one I was in last week had talked to Mary directly and asked how much they could buy and were told that there wasn't anything left TO buy.

If I owned a B&M that had a good clientele of McC lovers, I might be tempted to just pay retail from SP now, just so I have it on hand to sell 50% higher later.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
Last night I almost fell for the "have to buy it just because it will be gone" mentality, and I don't even want it. I had ten tins in my cart and realized i never wanted it before. In fact I don't have much of their blends at all. It's amazing how the thought of it not being available is such a strong motivator. However, I do need to get more Froggy celler. What an idiot I am my P&C order at 20% off just got here this week and now I want to go buy again.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
If I owned a B&M that had a good clientele of McC lovers, I might be tempted to just pay retail from SP now, just so I have it on hand to sell 50% higher later.
I wonder how many pipe smokers, even those who are not McC lovers, might be tempted to buy from SP now, just to have it on hand to sell 50% higher later.
Gotta love all my BOTL.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
SP is pretty well picked clean, at least as far as Virginias, as are other online stores. If you were sitting on the fence for the last couple of months all you'll get now is splinters.
I wonder how many pipe smokers, even those who are not McC lovers, might be tempted to buy from SP now, just to have it on hand to sell 50% higher later.
Or how many will buy it at twice the price on the aftermarket now, because they figure that they'll sell it for multiples of that in 10 years.
Last night I almost fell for the "have to buy it just because it will be gone" mentality, and I don't even want it. I had ten tins in my cart and realized i never wanted it before. In fact I don't have much of their blends at all. It's amazing how the thought of it not being available is such a strong motivator.
And there in lies sanity and serenity - the moment you can empty the cart without purchasing something based on fear.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
With all the insanity going on with McClelland I did purchase 10 more tins during the IPSD sales but only to fill in some things I did not have.
And this made me curious so I added up my tins in the cellar and I have the equivalent (bulk/1.75/3.5 tins) of 180 1.75 (50g) tins of blends and 36 of the 180 are non-Virginia blends. So my cellar of McClelland blends is 80% VA and 20% others.
I am 64 years old now and if I live to 90 I can smoke a tin of VA every 2 months. So while I my lament the passing of McClelland tobacco's I am satisfied that I have enough to get me through the lifetime I have left. Now when the 50g tins start fetching prices of $100.00 to $200.00, I may have to rethink how much I like McClelland VA's. :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.