PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The newborns are pretty stubby, with eyes closed and ears not unfurled, but they bloom quickly, and many kittens have bright blue eyes, always look surprised, and alternately irradiate energy and go into deep snoozing. Our late cat Bella had one litter by "mistake," so she was a teenage mom. There came a time when she marched the kittens up into the bed to show where there were some good comfortable people as heating pads and plenty of covers and pillows. She was a good mom but fairly strict. She was a little that way with her people too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Grangerous, I'd go easy trying to take your sweet cat fishing, or at least consider a few points. Unlike dogs, cats are as attached to their territory as much as to their "pack." so unlike dogs, they may not be comfortable in new terrain even if their people are there. Also, once in new territory, cats can have a strong tendency to stray, or to startle and run off and not get back. And finally, cats are weird about their litter. My wife had an indoor-outdoor cat, but once he got used to indoor litter, he wouldn't use the great outdoors. Cats who retain urine can develop kidney and urinary tract problems in a hurry. At least take along a litter box. All this said, specific somewhat rare cats accommodate to riding with their owners on bikes, living out of travel trailers, and of course, living on ships and tugboats, etc. Your sweet little gal may be a natural traveler, but she might be much more of a homebody than you know, and taking her abroad might screw up her disposition or her urinary tract, or just confuse her and make her disappear. I'd start out with a very local expedition that you don't mind scrubbing, to see how she does. She may want to stay home and sleep on your slippers awaiting your return. Cats are ardent about having control of their situation. They need that sense of pride and domain, so go slow, and see what works.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Grangerous, I'd go easy trying to take your sweet cat fishing, or at least consider a few points. Unlike dogs, cats are as attached to their territory as much as to their "pack." so unlike dogs, they may not be comfortable in new terrain even if their people are there. Also, once in new territory, cats can have a strong tendency to stray, or to startle and run off and not get back. And finally, cats are weird about their litter. My wife had an indoor-outdoor cat, but once he got used to indoor litter, he wouldn't use the great outdoors. Cats who retain urine can develop kidney and urinary tract problems in a hurry. At least take along a litter box. All this said, specific somewhat rare cats accommodate to riding with their owners on bikes, living out of travel trailers, and of course, living on ships and tugboats, etc. Your sweet little gal may be a natural traveler, but she might be much more of a homebody than you know, and taking her abroad might screw up her disposition or her urinary tract, or just confuse her and make her disappear. I'd start out with a very local expedition that you don't mind scrubbing, to see how she does. She may want to stay home and sleep on your slippers awaiting your return. Cats are ardent about having control of their situation. They need that sense of pride and domain, so go slow, and see what works.
Mso489
That was Funk who plans to take his cat fishing. I eat cats on toast with cream gravy, remember? -Grangerous.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry Granger'; I need to stop jabbering and pay attention to who is talking here. Funk', that is a fine brood, pretty sweet. As with tots, everything seems under control until they get moving, then put on your running shoes. She looks like a natural mom; it's interesting how authoritative and organized the cat moms suddenly become. They really lay down the law. Of course, it's tiring.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
View attachment 66617
Still hard to tell what they'll look like. She's a great mom though, and I was worried about her... she is still very much a kitten. She's been taking breaks for cat hugs and play time. Haha
Finally some pictures. The rule is you have to post one cute kitten photo per day, or else the forum will descend into madness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It takes a few weeks. Then it's a challenge to sex them. I was very proud when an old farm boy friend insisted our new kitten was female, and I assured him, despite my suburban upbringing, that it was male, and it was. But it is pretty subtle for a time. But they soon know very well, and if you aren't quick, you'll have more kittens.