PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
It wouldn't take long.. They multiply as fast as pipes. We're gonna keep one. Then we're getting her fixed as soon as we can.
Yup on the fixing. The second cat we added to the household, we got sucked in by. She started out a kitten showing up at our backdoor with her mother about 1 1/2 years ago. We took pity on them because of her being a kitten, so started feeding them and hanging out with them outside daily. Then in May, momma departs and she sticks around managing to get knocked up, (afraid I even saw the deed whist it occurred). August she gives birth to 5 kittens in our iris bed but, as it was unusually cold and rainy, to save them all we put them all in our sun porch. Proceeded to try to find homes for the kittens with no takers. So, eventually had to take them to a shelter. We couldn't see having 7 cats, though it was with mixed feelings that we parted with them. Their momma then joined our family and we're glad for it.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Never cared for cats, but I hear they’re good on toast with cream gravy.

My son has two. Just spent $2400 in vet bills. I’ll pass.

I never though I liked cats either. This one is a lot like a puppy though.. she follows me around and rides in the car. I'm going to take her fishing with me this spring. she's something special...

Aug 1, 2012
I like to meet and hold kittens. However, if it's to be my kitty, give me an old one any day. They always know the value of what they have and are rarely true assholes. I was the caretaker for an old, half-deaf, blind, toothless cat in Latvia and he was the star of the house. We would have friends over and their kids would always love to play with him because he was so interested and loving. One kid said about him, "I don't think he knows he is sitting on my lap, whenever I move he digs in his claws like he doesn't want me to leave."

Enjoy the new kitties RBF.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations on Gingy's brood. She's very handsome, and kittens are always a psychedelic trip with no chemicals involved, just joy, energy, and endless curiosity. When our two male sibs were small, they would fly around the ceiling for a while, then retreat to their hiding place in the closet and pass out for an hour, then reappear for more flying time. I hate to have creatures "fixed," but in the case of cats, they are ultra efficient reproducers and can dole out scores of kittens. No fertility clinics needed. The males spray, brawl, and mostly leave home if not "fixed." Yes, the vet fees are astronomic. The two boys, phenotypical Maine Coons out of a drain pipe, have each had a health crisis that collectively would have bought a thoroughbred horse. But they are very companionable and not demanding on a day-to-day basis. I love dogs, but they take non-stop attention and energy, closer to a kid. My family calls me a cat magnet. They seem to know I'm a friend. Your wife is a great cat midwife, saved that little latecomer just in time. And captain', yes, old cats are quite wonderful, knowing ... but you have to be gentle and considerate with them, like old people.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I never though I liked cats either. This one is a lot like a puppy though.. she follows me around and rides in the car. I'm going to take her fishing with me this spring. she's something special...
One of my cats lived with dalmations and I swear he thought he was a dog. He played fetch, he'd jump up on me when I got home, and seriously sometimes he'd bark (which is a thing cats do, just not as often as he did. Usually only if they're super excited and no it sounded more like the way a fox barks then a dog). He reacted really happy towards dogs. Oh and I found out he likes water in the shower and it's never good to feel something touch your leg in the shower. Sweet cat.
I also used to not like cats until my dad found one out in the woods who was basically a fur covered skeleton. After actually spending time with him I found out cats are pretty awesome.