PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gentlemancob

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2020
Utah
My first purchase was for some reason Captain Black, something cherry and Mac Baren Navy Flake. I chose the Navy Flake because of the name and the tin.

After struggling with the first two, I went online and found some info and with the Navy Flake my technique was better and so was the smoke. Never tried the others again, but the Navy Flake continues to be one of my favorites.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My first tobacco was Old Onyx, a blend from Campbell's Smoke Shop in East Lansing (along with a basket pipe and pipe cleaners).

It's an aromatic tasted like an autumn evening around a campfire, but without any maple (like Autumn Evening) or latakia.

I'll need to revisit the blend and Campbell's others next time I'm in the area.

Reactions: WVOldFart

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Esoterica Dorchester. A knowledgeable and very helpful tobacconist suggested it and I loved it then and still love it to this day.

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Some local brick and mortor mango tobacco ? Tongue bite city and weird which made me give up on pipes pretty quick and for several years. Then I got a little smarter and did research and bought blends I enjoyed infinitely more.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
My first order of Tobacco had 60+ different blends?‍♂️
While a good half of those will never hit my pipe again I found what are currently all 4 of my daily can't live withouts.
Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, Cult Anonymous, C&D Night train and Cobblestone Chess King.
As well as a handful of my absolutely favorite "Dessert" blends that I only smoke every couple days due to cost or strength like 3P's, Pirate kake, Peterson's Deluxe Navy Rolls, Escudo Navy Deluxe, Davidoff Flake madallions and most importantly Mississippi River Reserve.
I also have a to many to list from that order that I liked enough to buy more of but only smoke randomly.
When it comes to new things i have a bad habit of researching them in annoying details for months or years before making a decision and then I go for broke with a frightening vigor.
Only been smoking pipe since February but my sample it collection is up to well over 150 blends with over a half dozen lbs of my favorites cellared.

MidnightPuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2020
Ohio
The first tobacco I ever purchased was captain black white. I had been watching YouTube pipe smokers for a while and wanted to try it, so I picked up a Grabow and a pouch of CB White from my local Walgreens. I did not think much of it at the time and I didn't hate it. However, I have gone back and tried it again after spending two years of smoking C&D's Burley blends and some other favorites like Bengal Slices and PS Luxury twist flake etc, I just really don't like the stuff any more.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I ordered two tobaccos (no B&M near where I lived and I didn't think of OTC from a local newsagents[*])

1. Peterson Irish Oak. Enjoyed that but surprisingly have never smoked it again; perhaps I should get some more
2. No idea; it was an aromatic; other than it has left no lasting impression in my memory. I'm pretty sure I finished it all (as Aussie prices tobacco is not cheap) but it has left no lasting impressions, good or bad!

[*] a year or so later I went out with pipe, lighter and tamper but forgot my tobacco pouch! Popped into a newsagents and asked if they had any pipe tobacco. All standard OTC stuff but branded for the Aussie market so I had no idea what was what. Went for the most popular one; :eek: If that had been my first tobacco it would also have been my last - it was vile, like trying to smoke a flame thrower; burnt HOT and had presumably been flavoured with napalm. ?

Threw the pouch in the bin at the earliest opportunity; wasn't going to spread that stuff on flower beds; who knows what damage it would do local wild life.

No idea what it was called but I recall it was by Lane and I've never been tempted to try any of their products since. Did I say that stuff was vile? ???

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Nellie Butcher, the proprietress of the Humansville Recreation Hall, carried Prince Albert, Velvet, and Half and Half pipe tobaccos in 1972 plus, had a card of Dr. Grabow pipes and a card of Missouri Meerschaum pipes.

I gave Nellie two dollars for a 75 cent cob and a 25 cent package of Half and Half, plus 40 cents for a package of Winston.

I took my change in nickels.

The brand new El Toro pinball was a nickel a play.

Next spring, that will be fifty years.

8A29B01F-A478-4100-9AF6-2CABD61F2952.jpeg

A Pepsi was 15 cents, and the juke box was only a nickel.

TAKE MY HEART

Jerry Wallace

What I really wanted was a car and a cheerleader girlfriend, but those pleasures aren’t easily available, nor affordable, when you’re 14 years old.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Most likely Half & Half. It was 1980, and it was on an end cap by the checkout with a blister pack Grabow billiard at the base exchange.

I never got the hang of it… The pipe and the tobacco got tossed when I packed up and PCS’ed to England.

I picked up the habit 10 years later…

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
What was the first tobacco that you bought for yourself and do you still smoke it?
Some no name bulk black raspberry (I assume it was Sutliff or Lane). Not only do I not smoke it but it caused me to give up the pipe for about ten years before trying again. The first tobacco I bought that I still smoke is Prince Albert.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
It was 2018 when I tried pipe smoking for the first time. Bought a cob and a pouch of Prince Albert. I had quit cigarettes cold turkey a few years prior and PA had a cigarette taste so I bought a tub of Granger online. Then I was hooked.