First Tobacco You Bought?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I had a bag of RYO pipe tobacco that was a straight up Virginia Turkish blend, from before I quit smoking cigs. I picked up a pipe and just gave it a whirl. I then tried Captain Black White for a little while. But, it wasn't until I found the Briary with their huge selection of tins that I really started to enjoy my pipe. They were able to better explain about aromatics and Virginias and such. I still have a few pounds of the OHM tobacco set back in jars, and yes, it does seem to get better with age. Not so much the Captain Black. I wouldn't miss it if it just vanished from the planet.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
pipe tobacco. It was a bulk shop blend from the wonderful tobacco tavern. It was called black berry brandy. And for a long while I smoked aromatics. Until trying early morning pipe because that was the blend that had the best tin pic and piqued my curiosity the most at the local smoke shop (they had jarred blends and Dunhill at that time). Now they have Ashton and Peterson used to also have Nat Sherman.) I wouldn't really smoke it now the Black Berry Brandy but I found it quite enjoyable back in the day. Like I said I mostly shifted through their aromatic selection and even tried iq their name for 1q and didn't really find it that great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it may have been Tinder Box's North Sea, which was renamed from one of PS's aromatics I think, but I can't remember which, maybe a light fruit/citrus. I still have my first pipe, which is a Tinder Box St. Ives house pipe, a bent pot with a smooth finish and an slightly unusual vertical saddle stem. I still have the pipe, and it looks good and smokes well. I believe it was sourced from Comoy. It has that French sense of style.

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Carter hall was the pouch first I ever bought - I still smoke it on occasion went hunting or fishing.
Nightcap was the first tin I ever bought - man that changed my world! It was my first venture into English-style blends and I remember the tin note was overwhelming to me at first that it took me a while to put it into a bowl and smoke it. I loved it at first light and still smoke it. I was wise enough to save a little from that first tin and revisit it on occasion.