PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
This was my first ever pipe and pipe tobacco order. That was October 2014. I only have a 2 ounce jar of 5100 left of the first 3 tobacco's I purchased. Also, I still use that same tamper today.

Roma (626) (6mm)

SavinelliRoma (626) (6mm)
SKU: 002-033-16964
Quantity: 1
Montgomery 2oz

G. L. PeaseMontgomery 2oz
SKU: 003-029-0040
Order Again
5100 - Red Cake

McClelland5100 - Red Cake
SKU: 005-002-0021
Options: 1oz
Discontinued
Craftsbury: Frog Morton on the Bayou 50g

McClellandCraftsbury: Frog Morton on the Bayou 50g
SKU: 003-041-0015
Discontinued
B. J. Long Regular Pipe Cleaners (56 pack)

Cleaners & Cleaning SuppliesB. J. Long Regular Pipe Cleaners (56 pack)
SKU: 001-545-0026
Order Again
8deco Bamboo Tamper

Tampers & Tools8deco Bamboo Tamper
SKU: 001-545-0104

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Sir Walter Raleigh Aro.
I was, probably, 14 years old and was swearing to the old man that owned the gas station that it was for my Dad. Me and a buddy had lifted one of his deceased Grandad’s corncob pipes and smoked every single ribbon of tobacco in that pouch over the weekend. Fast forward to my mid-20’s, that was the first pouch of tobacco I bought on a whim at the drugstore when the thought of picking up pipe smoking crossed my mind.
Twenty something years later, I still buy Sir Walter Raleigh Aro…now by the tub.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
A 1 oz bag labeled "Oriental" and a 1 oz bag labeled "Burley" at a Big Smoke in Moscow, ID. Still have no idea what I bought to this day. That bag of oriental set my tobacco tastes forever though. No matter what else I tried in those early days of no-name bulk buying, I always returned to the Oriental and to this day I prefer my English to be Oriental forward...so a Balkan depending on who you talk to.

Mar 1, 2014
First ever would have been some random house blends when I bought my first pipe (a sandblasted red egg shaped Vauen Churchwarden, which has recently been re-drilled for a beautifully open draw and I cherish every smoke in that pipe).
I did not enjoy those blends, but for my first ever taste of tobacco it's hard to say if my palette was at all adjusted to being able to taste smoke.

My first online tobacco order was MacBaren Scottish Mixture and Five Brothers.
Within the first month of owning a pipe I also had some 1-Q, Frosty Mint, FVF, LBF, Billy Budd, and Samuel Gawith Brown No. 4.

Frosty Mint is still a mainstay, and I'd probably keep buying Five Brothers if it were available in bulk, but then Gawith Hoggarth shag has mostly filled that role now.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I bought Captain Black and Borkum Riff together. My father in law was a pipe smoker, he quickly turned me on to Latakia, he always smoked CB cut with Lat 50/50 so that is what I started smoking too. I ended up preferring most commercial English blends to that concoction though so it wasn't long before I started smoking and stocking up on Proper English, Balkan Sasieni & 3 Oaks Syrian. I do not smoke Captain Black & Borkum Riff anymore but they were a good starting point and I still love the smell of those when someone else is smoking them. I do still enjoy Balkan Sasieni & 3 Oaks Syrian, I don't smoke Proper English anymore, though I wouldn't pass it up if I was offered a pipe full.

While I was never a HUGE fan of McClelland's Lat blends, 3 Oaks Syrian blew my mind when I first started smoking it!

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
pipe tobacco. It was a bulk shop blend from the wonderful tobacco tavern. It was called black berry brandy. And for a long while I smoked aromatics. Until trying early morning pipe because that was the blend that had the best tin pic and piqued my curiosity the most at the local smoke shop (they had jarred blends and Dunhill at that time). Now they have Ashton and Peterson used to also have Nat Sherman.) I wouldn't really smoke it now the Black Berry Brandy but I found it quite enjoyable back in the day. Like I said I mostly shifted through their aromatic selection and even tried iq their name for 1q and didn't really find it that great.
They say you can't tell a book by it's cover, but isn't it amazing how many books or in this case tobaccos are bought because of the cover.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Condor RR in the green half oz cubes in a cellophane wrapped package in 1978/79 and I think it was 11/- or 55p to those of you that know English money. My first pipe was some no name briar from the 1930s given to me by my Uncle Charles or a short clay pipe from the sawdust filled box on the counter of the Gidea Park Tobacco Store which cost I think 4/-.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My first pipe was a basket pipe from our local Tinder Box. Along with that pipe I went home with 2 oz. of Mango Tango and 2 oz. of Pina Colada.

No, I don't smoke them anymore. They were tossed in the trash a few years ago.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
in 1993 I walked out of Antique Pipe Shop in Houston with an Alpha basket pipe, a 2oz bag of 1-Q, a 2oz bag of some cherry aromatic, and (grudgingly) a bag of Dunhill 965 that another customer talked me into, assuring me that it tasted better than it smelled in the bag. Later found out he was Mike Butera, and he was right. I quickly turned into a fan of latakia blends. I've still got the Alpha, occasionally smoke 965, and wish i had a lot more Pelican and Latakia #2 left than I do.