PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Back in the early 70's a neighbor was a pipe smoker and he smoked a Dr. Grabow straight stem Viking pipe and Captain Black white, being a kid , I was intrigued and I went to a local gas station on my bicycle and purchased a Dr. Grabow bent stem Viking pipe and a pouch of Captain Black white and started smoking that and learning the in's and out's of pipe smoking from him. When in my early 20's, I went to my first ever real Tobacconist shop and I bought a Craftmaster bent Dublin ( which I still have and smoke ) and the tobacconist asked what I smoked and he gave me a house blend that was similar to Captain Black and I saw tins of tobacco for the first time and was intrigued by a tin of EMP and asked about it and ended up getting it as well. After trying the EMP, I quickly tossed the Captain Black house blend and started smoking EMP all of the time and the tobacconist asked me later on if I could say what flavor it was that I liked so much in it and I told him that it was something that tasted smoky and meaty in it. And he opened a jar of Latakia and told me to smell it and that was the golden ticket for me! I love Latakia heavy blends or straight Latakia to this day. I do smoke some BCA occasionally , but I'm not much on other Aromatics. I purchased a pouch of Captain Black white a few months ago on a whim to see if I liked it , and only smoked one bowl and never tried it again. I am a Latakia fan for life!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Peterson's University Flake & Balkan Sobranie, were the two I started on back in the late 80's. Love to say I still smoke them but I can't, Sobranie is no more & the University Flake is totally unrecognisable to what it was. It was a lovely flake back then & like the Sobranie made in Ireland. It's made in Denmark now & tastes like you're smoking a blueberry muffin!

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Back in the early 70's a neighbor was a pipe smoker and he smoked a Dr. Grabow straight stem Viking pipe and Captain Black white, being a kid , I was intrigued and I went to a local gas station on my bicycle and purchased a Dr. Grabow bent stem Viking pipe and a pouch of Captain Black white and started smoking that and learning the in's and out's of pipe smoking from him. When in my early 20's, I went to my first ever real Tobacconist shop and I bought a Craftmaster bent Dublin ( which I still have and smoke ) and the tobacconist asked what I smoked and he gave me a house blend that was similar to Captain Black and I saw tins of tobacco for the first time and was intrigued by a tin of EMP and asked about it and ended up getting it as well. After trying the EMP, I quickly tossed the Captain Black house blend and started smoking EMP all of the time and the tobacconist asked me later on if I could say what flavor it was that I liked so much in it and I told him that it was something that tasted smoky and meaty in it. And he opened a jar of Latakia and told me to smell it and that was the golden ticket for me! I love Latakia heavy blends or straight Latakia to this day. I do smoke some BCA occasionally , but I'm not much on other Aromatics. I purchased a pouch of Captain Black white a few months ago on a whim to see if I liked it , and only smoked one bowl and never tried it again. I am a Latakia fan for life!
I am a Latakia fan for life!
10-4!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It was some super sweet smelling aro from local shop that tasted like nothing and burned hot (though I’m sure part of that was from my inexperience). I don’t remember what it was called but I’m sure it was just a rebranded bulk blend from sutliff or Lane.

Reactions: WVOldFart

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
At my age? Nearly sixty years ago? Fat chance of remembering such an insignificant purchase. I have trouble remembering the last blend I purchased. The invoice is right here though. I thought it was. I thought it was here anyway. I'm sure it's here somewhere. Now .......
I can relate, or I think I can. Hell, I'm not sure.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
0e3241a1e561ae7a3c5c.jpg

Reactions: WVOldFart

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Condor RR in the green half oz cubes in a cellophane wrapped package in 1978/79 and I think it was 11/- or 55p to those of you that know English money. My first pipe was some no name briar from the 1930s given to me by my Uncle Charles or a short clay pipe from the sawdust filled box on the counter of the Gidea Park Tobacco Store which cost I think 4/-.
@condorlover1 My mum said her grandad used to smoke Condor Ready Rubbed when it came in cubes.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Condor RR in the green half oz cubes in a cellophane wrapped package in 1978/79 and I think it was 11/- or 55p to those of you that know English money. My first pipe was some no name briar from the 1930s given to me by my Uncle Charles or a short clay pipe from the sawdust filled box on the counter of the Gidea Park Tobacco Store which cost I think 4/-.
@condorlover1 Some of my clays came packed in sawdust...