PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The administrative hemming and hawing is likely more injurious to pipe tobacco businesses than the actual rulings on deeming will be. As with all business, predictability is key. People need to know before they ramp up production or bulk up inventory. Sitting around wondering what will happen is expensive and uses up energy otherwise used for selling product. Uncertainly is paralyzing, as the stock market has always illustrated. No one wants to get stuck with the losing hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This could boost sales for some of the grandfathered brands, not that that's much of a consolation.

Reactions: JOHN72
Oct 7, 2016
The grandfathering list is just that, a list. The FDA still takes applications to be on it, no deadline. like in the PTMA or SE portals.
A manufacture, importer or distributor can determine on their own whether their product is grandfathered or substantially equivalent. They are perfectly free to rely on their own opinion of the STATUTORY definitions. You don’t have to be on ANY list, you can wait for. a nasty letter, and either fight or fold then.

As far as Dunhill/Peterson/STG goes, in spite of it not being imported into the US, it was continuously available elsewhere under different names, for example, Wellhauer Nightcap in Switzerland with the same tin art.

The FDA has said pipe tobacco is not an “enforcement priority”. I never practiced before the FDA, but I did other Federal Agencies. What those two words translate to is asking forgiveness later will be much easier than asking permission now.

There is not one positive thing a single one of us can do as consumers to contribute in any way to this ongoing process, except possibly get some do gooder who has an anti tobacco mission in life and stumbles across this thread curious. “Gee why isn’t pipe tobacco getting raked over the coals like vape? Flavored Cigars? Menthol Cigarettes? “

Anybody been jailed for importing an artisan pipe? Mixing 1Q and BCA together? All sorts of things were very confidently predicted to happen in August 2016 that haven’t happeNed- yet Some of them still could, but some are unlikely.

Just a reminder of what the consensus was then:

Less said the better. From me, radio silence on anything related to the FDA from here on until there are concrete developments about actual regulations beyond what we already know. Which I don’t expect soon.
Guys, you can wear yourselves out searching these list and you won’t learn 5% of what is really going on. There is not one thing good that will come from this I’ll informed speculation in a public forum. See the last paragraph in the linked post.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
You seem to have missed his point. The public visibility is the exact reason as the forum is viewed by non-pro smoking individuals as well.
No, I get the gist of his proposition, and I think it’s silly. As if there are roving anti smoking snoops trolling through these forums. I think you both greatly overestimate the gravitas of these forums.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
As if there are roving anti smoking snoops trolling through these forums.
People who work for NGOs, who get up and go to work everyday intent on defeating tobacco use, will do what others do to keep informed on a niche topic: create google alerts for keywords and phrases relevant to their work. Google indexes these pages, and sends alerts to them.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
People who work for NGOs, who get up and go to work everyday intent on defeating tobacco use, will do what others do to keep informed on a niche topic: create google alerts for keywords and phrases relevant to their work. Google indexes these pages, and sends alerts to them.
So? What are they going to do that they aren’t already going to do?

They have a 44 Magnum pressed to our collective heads already... What? Are we concerned they might break out the 50 cal.?

There is nothing said on these forums that they don't already know. From the point of view of a NGO activist, If the corrective action costs more than the potential earnings from said action, they will leave it be. With very few legitimate exceptions, most NGOs are riddled with lawyers who are too lazy to go out and make a real living.

Honestly, I’d welcome anti- tobacco advocates to the forum. They would then see for themselves the difference between pipe smoking and other forms of tobacco usage. They might also learn about the culture and the history of pipe smoking and discover it is not a gateway drug to cigarette smoking.
I would venture to go a bit further and suggest that pipe smoking has liberated a lot of people from cigarette smoking. And since it is a product that most of us don't inhale, it's much less risky than vaping.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
So? What are they going to do that they aren’t already going to do?
I just don’t understand that thinking. As if THIS thread is somehow “more dangerous” to the exposure to some anti smoking advocates versus the plethora of other threads like shipping from overseas, getting around the Washington State constraints, online taxation, etc.
But somehow THIS thread poses a significantly greater exposure to these supposed anti smoking trolls and their bots?????

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I thought he was just saying that all this speculation wasn't going to produce anything fruitful. He wasn't saying we shouldn't be talking about it because of the govt.

Reactions: indoeuro and seanv

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I thought he was just saying that all this speculation wasn't going to produce anything fruitful. He wasn't saying we shouldn't be talking about it because of the govt.
“There is not one positive thing a single one of us can do as consumers to contribute in any way to this ongoing process, except possibly get some do gooder who has an anti tobacco mission in life and stumbles across this thread curious. “Gee why isn’t pipe tobacco getting raked over the coals like vape? Flavored Cigars? Menthol Cigarettes? “

Seems like paranoid speculation to me. And then two others chimed in with their paranoia of anti tobacco lunatics trolling the forums looking for a “gotcha” moment and a wild NGO theory.