PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
It will take someone smarter than me to figure this out, but I did see some of my favorite tobaccos were grandfathered in. Maybe someone with the right skills can produce a list of what's in and out.

Here's the article: FDA Publishes Long-Awaited PMTA List for Deemed Tobacco Products - https://tobaccobusiness.com/fda-publishes-long-awaited-pmta-list-for-deemed-tobacco-products/

Here's a link to the FDA website with the info: https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/market-and-distribute-tobacco-product/deemed-new-tobacco-product-applications-lists#list of deemed
Did a quick search, and was surprised that STG only submitted 1 Peterson blend for grandfathering (although I may be interpreting it wrong, and perhaps only 1 blend has been grandfathered thus far?)... Sweet Killarney!
Shocked 3P’s, University Flake, Dunhill rebrands etc arent included. All the Lane bulks were on there, as well as the Stokkebye blends.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I don’t know how to make sense of the list. I’d love to see someone compile the various sheets into one that has all of the pipe blends we’d care about, along with a simple yes/no for if it’s staying or getting chopped.

Also, does this excruciatingly slow momentum indicate that this might actually happen, vs. their propensity to make claims about this type of thing, only to have it perpetually tied up in litigation, lobbying, etc., effectively going nowhere beyond a slight scare?

Looking for some solid advice here because, admittedly, I’ve done very little research but would be willing to ramp up TAD considerably on the sound advice of those in the know...

I understand that there’s no better time to stock up, so get it while we can. Just looking for a little more information about any specific dates, or timelines, that seem more credible than constant shots in the dark.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Approving blends that have already been long discontinued is theater of the absurd. I'm afraid to open the link to many questions and no answers. I'm sure all decisions will be made by people who don't smoke pipes and have never known anyone who has.

Is it?

Marketing at its finest. Let the market dry up for a bit and then reintroduce in the name of nostalgia, charging twice the price, which diehards would likely, happily pay.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Approving blends that have already been long discontinued is theater of the absurd. I'm afraid to open the link to many questions and no answers. I'm sure all decisions will be made by people who don't smoke pipes and have never known anyone who has.
Actually, those Middleton blends were approved in 2017 (submissions were 2016) and weren’t discontinued until 2018. ?

• Wow
Reactions: Casual and BROBS

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Lots of interesting stuff buried in the lists. Sutliff made tobacco for Kwik Trip--I assume that's the convenience store chain.

The most intriguing thing I found so far is Sutliff "TS5 (201-5) McClelland In Bond." Don't know what that means for fans of the defunct company. Probably just ingredients Sutliff sold to McClelland when they were in business.

Reactions: BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The page you are requesting is currently unavailable. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused. Please check back in the future as it is possible that this issue will be resolved.

Thank you for visiting www.fda.gov.

Reference ID: 18.27034017.1621978573.15365a75
The trout....

Oct 7, 2016
The grandfathering list is just that, a list. The FDA still takes applications to be on it, no deadline. like in the PTMA or SE portals.
A manufacture, importer or distributor can determine on their own whether their product is grandfathered or substantially equivalent. They are perfectly free to rely on their own opinion of the STATUTORY definitions. You don’t have to be on ANY list, you can wait for. a nasty letter, and either fight or fold then.

As far as Dunhill/Peterson/STG goes, in spite of it not being imported into the US, it was continuously available elsewhere under different names, for example, Wellhauer Nightcap in Switzerland with the same tin art.

The FDA has said pipe tobacco is not an “enforcement priority”. I never practiced before the FDA, but I did other Federal Agencies. What those two words translate to is asking forgiveness later will be much easier than asking permission now.

There is not one positive thing a single one of us can do as consumers to contribute in any way to this ongoing process, except possibly get some do gooder who has an anti tobacco mission in life and stumbles across this thread curious. “Gee why isn’t pipe tobacco getting raked over the coals like vape? Flavored Cigars? Menthol Cigarettes? “

Anybody been jailed for importing an artisan pipe? Mixing 1Q and BCA together? All sorts of things were very confidently predicted to happen in August 2016 that haven’t happeNed- yet Some of them still could, but some are unlikely.

Just a reminder of what the consensus was then:

Less said the better. From me, radio silence on anything related to the FDA from here on until there are concrete developments about actual regulations beyond what we already know. Which I don’t expect soon.

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
I just picked up an 8oz tub of Maltese Falcon. Looks like I might need to grab some more huh? I figure my favorite is safe and it looks like Pirate Kake is also safe. The Dunhill blends that are now Peterson (MM 965, Nightcap, EMP) are they safe? Or does ownership mess that up?