PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
While he is certainly not a celebrity in the traditional sense, there is a prominent composer in my field (classical music) who is a pipe smoker. Dan Locklair. In fact, like myself, he also plays the pipe organ so he enjoys both smoking and playing pipes! I’ve played a few of his works, and some have become “standard rep” for American organists.

His website(Locklair.com)is full of publicity pics, and in every one he is with a pipe. His music room is obviously his smoking room as well, as at least two of the shots show he has pipes piled high on his piano. Sounds like a good life, surrounded by keyboard instruments and pipes!
Sorry old thread, but I believe James Galway smokes a pipe. After all, Murray’s and gallagher were made in Belfast. BTW Denver Oldham was church organist at my church when I was a kid.

BuckChickman

Lurker
Jul 23, 2020
Upstate NY
While he is certainly not a celebrity in the traditional sense, there is a prominent composer in my field (classical music) who is a pipe smoker. Dan Locklair. In fact, like myself, he also plays the pipe organ so he enjoys both smoking and playing pipes! I’ve played a few of his works, and some have become “standard rep” for American organists.

His website(Locklair.com)is full of publicity pics, and in every one he is with a pipe. His music room is obviously his smoking room as well, as at least two of the shots show he has pipes piled high on his piano. Sounds like a good life, surrounded by keyboard instruments and pipes!

I'm a professional organist and pipe smoker and am a fan of Locklair. I agree with you about the pics I've seen -- there are a few out there showing him composing at the piano with a giant basket of nice pipes.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'm a professional organist and pipe smoker and am a fan of Locklair. I agree with you about the pics I've seen -- there are a few out there showing him composing at the piano with a giant basket of nice pipes.
No way! While I am also a conductor and singer, I have spent far more time in my career as a professional musician at the bench of a pipe organ than anything else. I also have never "met" a fellow organist on a message board unrelated to music. Glad to see that there are two of us here!

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Well, not to boast here.?

There are handfuls, maybe dozens of handfuls, definitely a number larger than the average age of my audience can count to, that find me to be a celebrity.

I mean write one book about why and how a banana is famous, draw a couple of silly illustrations in crowded school cafeteria, the next thing you know 5-7 year olds surround you wherever you go. ?

It's not all gravy and pie at the top guys...:sher:

There are handfuls, maybe dozens of handfuls, definitely a number larger than the average age of my audience can count to, that find me to be a celebrity.

I mean write one book about why and how a banana is famous, draw a couple of silly illustrations in crowded school cafeteria, the next thing you know 5-7 year olds surround you wherever you go. ?

An unpeeling post, ha ha ;)

We used to have a poster who has written a ton of books on stuff like flyfishing. Great guy.

Reactions: J.GANDY
Writers are interesting people. I think most people assume a writer will have a certain mystique about them.

They don't, regular weirdos just like everyone else.?
Yes, I can tell by your book that you would be one to have deep conversations regarding bananas with, ha ha. ;) puffy

He went by Npod on here. He is still around. His real name escapes me at the moment... Neil or Erik, and seems like it was spelled differently. Damn cigrmaster rubbing off on me. puffy

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Actually, I found quite a few more books. Disregard the slight I may have given. Nice work!!
Thank you, I have been fortunate to say I've been a working artist for 20 years. Not many can say that, and I am thankful.

I have written and illustrated four books. But have done lots of other work in the industry. Books of all genres not only children's books, novel covers and the like.

Of course I am only joking around in the previous post. I'm thankful that I can say this is my job. But it is a job, a fun one.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

Yeah, me too. You attempt to kill one president trying to impress just Jody Foster and you are famous for life. And then it turns out, she doesn't even like men. Man do I feel like a schmuck.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH

I found your website, Jamie. You do great work!

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky

Bananas and children swarming seems like a bad example?