PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Back in the heyday of smoking in general, ones preferred smoke was a trademark often included in informal portraits by portrait photographers or photo journalists. This was driven home when all of the allied world leaders were pictured with their smoking gear: Roosevelt with his cigarette holder; MacArthur with his tall corncob pipes; Churchill with his fat cigar; and Stalin with his pipe, and many other folks who followed this trend. Today most leaders and celebrities high and low wouldn't ever be intentionally photographed smoking. Just not well accepted as a public gesture anymore. Senator Fred Thompson was frequently pictured with his pipes at the Watergate hearings, among the last of a fading breed.
back when so many people smoked it was nearly impossible to figure out if it was bad for you.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
The UK had the Pipe Smoker of the Year award with Stephen Fry as the last achiever in 2003.
Pipe Smoker of the Year - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Smoker_of_the_Year

Germany fortunately still has Pfeifenraucher des Jahres, last years award was given to a woman,
austrian actress Sonja Kirchberger.
Pfeifenraucher des Jahres – Wikipedia - https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeifenraucher_des_Jahres

Re Stephen Fry; I heard him say he ran out of ciggies one day and picked up a very seldom used pipe as he ran out the door for an engagement, was spotted and immediately made Pipe Smoker of The Year based on that single occurrence

There's an English comedian, Bill Bailey (who's appeared on Fry's quiz show numerous times) who is a pipe smoker
download.jpg

I don't know if he is connected to these blends or just coincidence:
61e05d63aae655c15ab0cc766ff86c08.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Re Stephen Fry; I heard him say he ran out of ciggies one day and picked up a very seldom used pipe as he ran out the door for an engagement, was spotted and immediately made Pipe Smoker of The Year based on that single occurrence

There's an English comedian, Bill Bailey (who's appeared on Fry's quiz show numerous times) who is a pipe smoker
View attachment 20505

I don't know if he is connected to these blends or just coincidence:
View attachment 20506
Yes, I have heard that Stephen Fry has said he has not smoked a pipe in many years. Literally, that is.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
He is largely a jazz bassist but has played with many pop entertainers too. He played with the late McCoy Tyner who passed a couple days ago. Pianist with John Coltrane among others. McBride was a cigar smoker convert according to an interview I read.
gotcha. yes not a big jazz or jazz fusion fan; there's Miles and no one else to me. Monk and others never did much for me even tho Coltrane was smooth. Ornette was good.

Enemygod

Lurker
Sep 6, 2019
The bottom photo is Daniel Day Lewis from There Will Be Blood! An amazing film. I like Tom too though.

Yes, good call. Not sure why that comes up at the top of a list when doing a search for Tom Hardy. Here is another of Tom since I fubared the second picture. Also I saw him light up a pipe on Peaky Blinders, which I highly recommend if you have Netflix.

1583940362654.png

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Yes, good call. Not sure why that comes up at the top of a list when doing a search for Tom Hardy. Here is another of Tom since I fubared the second picture. Also I saw him light up a pipe on Peaky Blinders, which I highly recommend if you have Netflix.

View attachment 22142
I have seen Peaky Blinders. What a show!

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
There is a photo in Boswell's Pipe Shop in Chambersburg, PA showing a Boswell pipe being presented to Sir Richard Branson. I assume he smokes a pipe (?) but can't confirm.

Reactions: JPremo