PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It’s crazy that today I’m rooting for Italy. Seven days ago I rooted for their demise.

I’ll put this in perspective as a pipe smoker.

I own roughly 125 English made pipes. I own 3 Italian made pipes. It’s that simple.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It’s crazy that today I’m rooting for Italy. Seven days ago I rooted for their demise.

I’ll put this in perspective as a pipe smoker.

I own roughly 125 English made pipes. I own 3 Italian made pipes. It’s that simple.
You’re lucky it wasn’t a Denmark v Italy final. I know how much you hate them freehands

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Even as an Englishman, glad that Italy won. They were the better team, I live in a predominantly Italian neighbourhood here, so there are horns honking and fireworks are being launched through the entire district.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I think Gareth Southgate is a world class manager and will draw the potential in the younger players. One thing that prevails from the tournament is a rethink on the rules. This falling/diving as soon as there is a challenge is an international disgrace. I’ll stick to watching Rugby Union and amateur football from now on.
Again we’ll played England ???????
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Really confident of English manager to put in young fresh legs in shortly prior to penalties. I do appreciate the man's cajones, because it really would have been a great win.
There's an Italian proverb "The ball is round." Both squads played a great final and tournament, I would say.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'll have to give Pickford his due in the shootout (though he should have seen straight Red for his challenge on van Dijk in the derby). Booing the opposing team's national anthem at the beginning, so low class. Scoring the early goal, a blessing and a curse. Sterling, I have no respect for, he can be brilliant playing for City, but he's a dive artist. Not sure why the commentators were surprised by Kieran Trippier's excellent play, he did just win the La Liga title with Atletico Madrid (it wasn't mentioned once).

FORZA ITALIA!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Really confident of English manager to put in young fresh legs in shortly prior to penalties. I do appreciate the man's cajones, because it really would have been a great win.
There's an Italian proverb "The ball is round." Both squads played a great final and tournament, I would say.
Those two last minute subs were put in as they were experienced penalty takers, and had nothing to do with Southgates manhood.

Very sadly and ironically, these two did not make their mark; one was saved by the excellent Italian keeper, the other was flubbed off the post. (Rashford).

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
People are very passionate about football over here and it can go too far.
Not a big football fan, I do watch the Euros and World Cup though. Having said that, the only times I've been afraid, anywhere in the world, is around football stadiums, or even pubs and local clubs, including in Greece where I am from. I just don't like big crowds when there are winners and losers, by comparison I never felt threatened in any way in music concerts, and I'm a metalhead having attended tens or even a hundred gigs (big and small).

It's a common and very real problem when eg Athens teams play teams from other cities, cars with Athenian number plates have been known to get smashed regardless of the outcome of the match.

Having said that, it's always a let down when games go to penalties, but understand the match has to end somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.