PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
I saw a couple of mentions of this in the monthly WAYS thread and figured I'd start a dedicated thread for those who are interested.

I'm watching the Hungary - France match as I'm posting this.

Having studied and worked in Italy, I am definitely a surrogate/bandwagon fan. And their hot start has been encouraging.

Any other football fans out there? Who you shouting for? And any predictions?

Since we are a pipe forum, here is what I'm tokin' this morning: (a bowl of Luxury Bullseye Flake in this little Scottie Piersel pencil-shank prince)

gQfNZhHl.jpg

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I think it’s the usual suspects that will be up there at the end. Been enjoyable so far though.

Germany v Portugal match was really good. The England v Scotland match wasn't?.

I still believe it's coming home, tho... ?????????

I quite enjoyed the result if not the match itself. ??????? ?

Jun 9, 2018
England
I think it’s the usual suspects that will be up there at the end. Been enjoyable so far though.

I quite enjoyed the result if not the match itself. ??????? ?
I was hoping for a bit of Paul Gascoigne type magic from one of the England players but it never happened. We were poor and the Scots played better, I honestly think we were lucky to get away with a draw.
With the quality players we've got we should be playing a lot better than we are, Kane doesn't look match fit and is not getting any service, he's hardly had a shot on goal in 120 minutes. Still, it's not how you start but how you finish?.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I was hoping for a bit of Paul Gascoigne type magic from one of the England players but it never happened. We were poor and the Scots played better, I honestly think we were lucky to get away with a draw.
With the quality players we've got we should be playing a lot better than we are, Kane doesn't look match fit and is not getting any service, he's hardly had a shot on goal in 120 minutes. Still, it's not how you start but how you finish?.
Yeah we played well but England weren’t great. Whether that was down to our sheer genius or a lot of your players not turning up who knows? I struggle to see where we are scoring goals from though, which is an issue.

Been some great memes doing the rounds after that Schick goal though.

FE4A2A0B-9C23-4845-A129-21E4D34A626B.jpeg

Jun 23, 2019

Agreed, Kane does not look fit, lacking both fitness and sharpness - mind you, not that he's getting very many chances, but that clinical finish has not been there. Sterling, despite scoring, has also been hugely disappointing.

It's bewildering to me that the likes of Sancho and Saka can't even crack the game day squad.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am a longtime futbol fan. I am really enjoying the Euros and the Copa. I am pleasantly surprised to see so many US soccer fans and forum members following the matches. It bodes well for the future of the sport.
I have four grown daughters. The three oldest played competitive soccer, at least until high school. My oldest was the most talented of the group and went to colllege with a soccer scholarship. She competed several times in Europe playing youth soccer. I used to coach at the rec level and once had an ’F” license.

Strangely, I am not a loyalist to any team. I used to think I was a Man U fan but, I have kind of thought the better of that. I just like to see good soccer. It has been a pretty entertaining tournament, thus far.

Jun 23, 2019
Italy look the strongest team so far. There seems to be a special team chemistry and determination and it doesn't filter out with the substitutes.

I'm still not sure about the increase in numbers qualifying for the 2nd round.
Is there still a need for the last group stage games to be played at the same time if 3 out of 4 can qualify?

Hmm, haven't thought about that but I did want to watch both games today separately if it was possible.

And I agree Italy looks to be the favorites so far. Germany's performance against Portugal (my pre-tournament favorites along with France) really raised my eyebrows. Either way, I think we're in store for some pretty exciting matches.

Jun 23, 2019
I am a longtime futbol fan. I am really enjoying the Euros and the Copa. I am pleasantly surprised to see so many US soccer fans and forum members following the matches. It bodes well for the future of the sport.
I have four grown daughters. The three oldest played competitive soccer, at least until high school. My oldest was the most talented of the group and went to colllege with a soccer scholarship. She competed several times in Europe playing youth soccer. I used to coach at the rec level and once had an ’F” license.

Strangely, I am not a loyalist to any team. I used to think I was a Man U fan but, I have kind of thought the better of that. I just like to see good soccer. It has been a pretty entertaining tournament, thus far.

I'm shocked football/soccer isn't bigger in the US. I think the time difference/timing of big games is the biggest barrier. Hard to follow when most of the best games happen 9AM-3PM.

But I think with this generation of USMNT players become more and more successful on the international stage, the interest levels should similarly pick up.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Hmm, haven't thought about that but I did want to watch both games today separately if it was possible.

And I agree Italy looks to be the favorites so far. Germany's performance against Portugal (my pre-tournament favorites along with France) really raised my eyebrows. Either way, I think we're in store for some pretty exciting matches.
Belgium will be tough to beat, they've got some top class players.
England are through but it looks like we'll be facing either France or Germany?.

Jun 23, 2019
Belgium will be tough to beat, they've got some top class players.
England are through but it looks like we'll be facing either France or Germany?.
Not my favourite night of the Euros so far. Although at least we got a goal and didn’t play too badly. Just a gulf in class more than anything else.

I like the look of Belgium but they always seem to fall by the wayside as the tournament progresses.

I was hoping Scotland would do better too, you have a few names down the spine of that defense and I thought they'd hold on better. Alas, I think it was the Czech game that stumbled Scotland. Decent result against England and Croatia is sadly old but still a tier above it seems.

Belgium looks good going forward, but I'm wary of their aging defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.