PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Regarding Grealish I think it is not diving. There is always contact. He does manufacture his positioning for the fouls but it is not a dive like Sterling.

Personally, I'm delighted England have dropped this 'we are too righteous to dive' attitude. They are joining many other teams in doing it. And UEFA have shown they are not interested in fixing it when it suits an agenda (bigger teams, bigger final revenue).

I think they like to call it "embellishment" nowadays. LOL.

- - -

England v Denmark, England definitely had their best dive artists on the pitch, Kane, Sterling, and Grealish.

LOL - you remind me of a pizza roller: kinda edgy but no point. Go watch how Denmark "earned" their freekick for the go-ahead goal.

Just a product of how the game is officiated. I don't particularly like Kane, Sterling, or Grealish; but they do what they do because the rules are so poorly thought out and the refs (and VAR) are absolutely clueless.

Live, I thought Sterling dived, but the ref also had a horrendous game. If I remember correctly there was a pretty blatant back pass by Denmark too.

EDIT: this is gonna be nit-picky but even the way the ref had both cards in his shirt pocket was questionable.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I think they like to call it "embellishment" nowadays. LOL.

- - -

LOL - you remind me of a pizza roller: kinda edgy but no point. Go watch how Denmark "earned" their freekick for the go-ahead goal.

Just a product of how the game is officiated. I don't particularly like Kane, Sterling, or Grealish; but they do what they do because the rules are so poorly thought out and the refs (and VAR) are absolutely clueless.

Live, I thought Sterling dived, but the ref also had a horrendous game. If I remember correctly there was a pretty blatant back pass by Denmark too.

EDIT: this is gonna be nit-picky but even the way the ref had both cards in his shirt pocket was questionable.
I wish we could go back to 1970’s football, proper challenges and tackles and not the “non contact” farcical game that is now. My late father stopped watching football in the early nineties as he said players “were diving more times than Gunther Prien”. I enjoy watching my three sons playing as it’s more honest football and they all tackle in a robust manner ?
Not to take away the progress England have made in the tournament and it’s been good to see the unexpected outcomes of some of the games.
Roll on the final ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Jun 23, 2019
I wish we could go back to 1970’s football, proper challenges and tackles and not the “non contact” farcical game that is now. My late father stopped watching football in the early nineties as he said players “were diving more times than Gunther Prien”. I enjoy watching my three sons playing as it’s more honest football and they all tackle in a robust manner ?
Not to take away the progress England have made in the tournament and it’s been good to see the unexpected outcomes of some of the games.
Roll on the final ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Problem is players now cost £100M+ and are on your books for a guaranteed £200k per week wages; a "proper challenge" could potentially cost owners/clubs millions.

I think the same principle forces are manifesting itself across "popular" sports entertainment leagues, the influx of attention makes everyone A LOT of money, making the players worth ridiculous amounts of money, and as all things tend to be, the more valuable they are, the more they are protected and babied.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Roll on the final ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
You're right about 70's football it was MUCH tougher. Ron "Chopper" Harris and Norman "bites yer legs" Hunter would be sent off in 30 seconds if they played today.
Nice reference to U-boat ace Gunther Prien btw.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
You're right about 70's football it was MUCH tougher. Ron "Chopper" Harris and Norman "bites yer legs" Hunter would be sent off in 30 seconds if they played today.
Nice reference to U-boat ace Gunther Prien btw.
They were great footballers, I was always impressed with players like Souness and Hanson. King Kenny was the man when I was a boy.
YNWA
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One part of the England/Denmark game I didn't understand (and thought was pretty unfair) was that when England had a penalty the player had nobody in his way between himself and the goalkeeper, yet when Denmark had a penalty (in which they scored) there were loads of players between the kicker and the goalkeeper.

Why was this?

Also, though what I know about soccer could be written on a matchstick, I would wager Italy will win the final simply due to not having lost a match in so many games.

Regards,

Jay.

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
One part of the England/Denmark game I didn't understand (and thought was pretty unfair) was that when England had a penalty the player had nobody in his way between himself and the goalkeeper, yet when Denmark had a penalty (in which they scored) there were loads of players between the kicker and the goalkeeper.

Why was this?

Also, though what I know about soccer could be written on a matchstick, I would wager Italy will win the final simply due to not having lost a match in so many games.

Regards,

Jay.
I think what you refer to with Denmark was a 'free kick'. Because the foul was committed outside of the white rectangle, aka the box. With a free kick the opposition can position players no closer than 10 yards to the ball.

Whereas with England the "foul" was inside the box, so is a 'penalty'...just the taker and the keeper.

If Kane had not scored the rebound I wonder would the penalty have been retaken as the keeper was off his line.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Whereas with England the "foul" was inside the box, so is a 'penalty'...just the taker and the keeper."

Thanks for that chum, I think I know what you mean.

Another thing that confused the hell out of me when I watched the England/Ukraine match was that after half time the players switched which side of the pitch they were playing on. Took me a while to twig what was happening!

I was so used to wanting the ball to go in one direction. Why they change ends I don't know but I wish they didn't. Ah well.

Shame about the laser pen incident, hope they find the bugger who did it.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
"Whereas with England the "foul" was inside the box, so is a 'penalty'...just the taker and the keeper."

Another thing that confused the hell out of me when I watched the England/Ukraine match was that after half time the players switched which side of the pitch they were playing on. Took me a while to twig what was happening!

I was so used to wanting the ball to go in one direction. Why they change ends I don't know but I wish they didn't. Ah well.

Regards,

Jay.
If you were thinking of watching the tennis this weekend, then don't ?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands

Regards,

Jay.
You remind me of my mum. Which is sort of a compliment, 'cause my dad has even less of a clue ?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The only activity I can think of where you don't change ends is ten pin bowling. Baseball goes all in one direction, but sides change each half inning. Others?? (Poker is not a sport!)

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
Do chess players change sides?

I'm guessing the changing sides in football would have been one of the earliest rules. The pitch might not be of the same standards, and there may have been a slope to one side. So changing end would make sense.

These days it's advantage is playing or not playing in front of the most vocal supporters which are usually behind one or each of the goals.

I remember Arsenal went to penalties with Galatasaray in the UEFA Cup final. The referee never flipped a coin, just decided to have the penalties in front of the Turkish supporters.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I watched a replay of the 1966 World Cup (England/Germany) and two things struck me. When a player fell down he either immediately picked himself up or was helped up by another player.....none of this writhing around in fake agony or playing dead, and the total lack of adverts all around the stadium. Oh how things have changed.

I would have been 5 when that game happened but wouldn't have been interested in watching it then but glad I did last night.

Regards,

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: Ettrick puffer

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Amen JPMCWJR. Holy cow, the Copa America final was a whistle-fest. What is fascinating is watching international tournaments is we're not the only ones. The high school kids I cover in soccer usually flop for the first week of the season after a Copa America, Euro or World Cup, and then realize they won't get the call and stop. As for today's match, my head says Italy. My heart says England.

Status
Not open for further replies.