PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Not this time?. Italy mullered us during the second half and deserved to win the game.
Penalty shoot outs are awesome when you win but not so clever when you lose?.

Well done Italy??, they were the form team of the tournament and are deserved winners?✌️
you cant expect to sit back for 88 minutes v a team like Italy.
They will always either score or get a penalty.
wrong tactics in my opinion,out played by a superior team.

Now onto the serious business The Lions v South Africa

Jun 23, 2019
Since we are a tobacco forum, I'm smoking the small Padron in the middle in celebration this morning with my coffee:

WGaOvChl.jpg

Firstly, a small commiserations to England but a huge congratulations. Maybe it's England's history with penalties that makes it hard to see in the immediate aftermath, but not only should all England fans be incredibly proud of what these boys have done but also incredibly excited for the future. These boys will be a problem at the World Cup and I can easily see another impressive deep run.

After that you have to say, Italy were impressive. Facing England at Wembley and an over-capacity crowd AND being down a goal after just 2 minutes, they really grinded it back and dragged it all the way to penalties. Mancini was daring when Southgate was cautions, I personally feel that the team that has the momentum at the end of extra time, the team that is still attacking and attacking usually has the mental edge going into the penalties. Chiellini, my favorite player, does not get a lot of credit with the English media (him and Bonucci) as world class XI CBs but they have been immense all tournament.

BUT with all that said, hard to not question a lot of Southgate's decisions. A lot of the criticism that lingered throughout the tournament (highly defensive line ups, slow to make subs, player selection) that were brushed aside and masked with wins have now come back to roost.

I understand Rashford and Sancho were brought on to take PENs, but they played 4min each and barely if at all touched the ball. Sancho has barely featured all tournament and now he's gotta take a Finals PEN? Questionable. Rashford had 2 touches in the game before his PEN, a tackle and a throw in. (He also changed his penalty technique, so nerves is definitely in play here). Why not bring them on a little earlier (say at HT of ET)? Questionable. Like someone already said, trying to hold a 1-0 lead against this Italian team is suicidal, especially after Mancini just kept throwing on new attacking players to run down the counters. And lastly... Asking my dear boy Saka to anchor the 5th penalty. The boy has NEVER taken a senior PEN, not for Arsenal, not for England, not in a friendly, but has to step up for number 5? I saw John Stones, Grealish put their hands up in the huddle. I'm still in shock at that decision.

With all that said, when a match comes down to penalties, it comes down to the better keeper. And while Donnarumma was great, Pickford was too - saving Jorginho's 4th PEN for Italy was pure brilliance. And at that point it's just a coin flip. I think while you can argue over the course of the tournament, Italy maybe deserves to win, but on the day neither team deserved to lose.

Maybe we reconvene another soccer/futbol thread for next season, honestly more interest than I thought.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Oh I know, that's what I was referring to in my previous post! Don't want to be an Athenian in the north when a Salonica/northern team is playing an Athens team ;)
I hadnt seen you second post when I wrote mine.
After 17 years living here I have got the general feelings

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Back to the choice of the kid (Saka) as a penalty shooter- in any position, much less 5th.... WHAT???
What was Southgate thinking?

Perhaps he got a last minute text offering £500,000 if he let the other team win.... ? JK, but really, WHAT??

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Jun 23, 2019
I wouldn't mind knowing why that Rashford chap paused afore actually kicking the ball. Was it some kind of ruse? Is that normal in football?

Regards,

Jay.

It's an attempt to shift the goal keepers balance one way or another and then shoot in the opposite direction. Good plan by Rashford and honestly well executed but was extremely unlucky.

Why he changed from his usual penalty technique is another matter entirely.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Back to the choice of the kid (Saka) as a penalty shooter- in any position, much less 5th.... WHAT???
What was Southgate thinking?

Perhaps he got a last minute text offering £500,000 if he let the other team win.... ? JK, but really, WHAT??
Only Southgate knows, no one else in England understands why he made the choices he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.