PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
As Far East on the North American land continent as one can get and still stay dry

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is the first warning sign: Someone who assumes to speak for others, with absolutely zero authority to do so.
Actually that was the second warning sign...the first was a triangle with four sides.
As Far East on the North American land continent as one can get and still stay dry
There used to be a good B&M just a little east of you, but it went under. (sorry, I know...bad joke)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why? I'm supposed to search for a while to find it to sell to someone who's not willing to do the same? There's a pipe store locator at the top of this page. Start calling and it can be found.
+1000
There isn't a brick and mortar tobacco store within 1000 miles of me
Online is all I got
That's about how far away my sources are. Los Angeles is a veritable desert for pipe tobacco. Cigars? You can get anything.
Just made a phone call and picked up 1 lb of Dunbar to send to a friend. And, I'm not paying any freaking $80-$100 bucks a bag to do that. I don't get Embers' prices, but I don't pay all that much more, and it's considerably less than Pipes & Cigars is charging.
If smoking these blends matters to you, you can make an effort to find sources, or hope to win the online lottery. But sitting around complaining is pointless when you can do something about it.
And for those of you who think I should just post my sources, forget about it. For one thing, they've asked me not to do that. They don't want to be nagged. For another, they sell to me because I buy a variety of blends from them, not just cherry picking Esoterica. I've built up a regular customer relationship with them. Yes, I pay more for some tobaccos, but I also get access to hard to find stuff.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And for those of you who think I should just post my sources, forget about it.
+1000
And well you shouldn't. Like me it probably took some time to find them and all it took was picking up a phone. If someone is willing to pay many times what it's worth, why not call around and find it for a fraction of the price.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
And for those of you who think I should just post my sources, forget about it. For one thing, they've asked me not to do that. They don't want to be nagged. For another, they sell to me because I buy a variety of blends from them, not just cherry picking Esoterica. I've built up a regular customer relationship with them. Yes, I pay more for some tobaccos, but I also get access to hard to find stuff.
This. This whole thing is all about relationships. Do I hate paying $14 for a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced at my B&M? Absolutely. But I really like when that same B&M calls me to tell me Esoterica is in stock and they're holding favorites for me until I come in again.
Now, the economist is me wants to turn this into a discussion about price theory, but that's a tobacco talk for another day.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I don’t even bother with online sites. I know a guy who knows a guy. I chase one esoterica blend. You fellas can have the rest. Stonehaven tastes like mail pouch chewing tobacco to me. GLP and Bengals are far better than Penzance imo.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, I get the occasional Penzance for blending and Stonehaven rubbed me the wrong way. Pembroke and Dunbar are my cellar favorites though I've got a bit of all of them. I like Presbyterian much more than Penzance.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I found Esoterica HERE. Under $10 and free shipping!
You're welcome, amigos... :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Do different breeds produce the different blends?
Are flakes from constipated horses? 8O
Inquiring minds, and all...
jay-roger.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I drive 1400 miles roundtrip when I need to stock up on HP Sauce. I want it, I have to go where it is. Closest place is in Canada. I believe it is the one and only item Amazon doesn't carry. The drive is nice also. If you want a blend bad enough, do the work ... drive, check the internet, call ... just do what is necessary. But, asking for higher prices for everyone, is well ... an inanity!
Four sided triangles? Raise prices to insure availability? Speaking for the, maybe 12 people on this board who can't find the blend?
There used to be a good B&M just a little east of you, but it went under.
Actually well played brian!
Actually just a short, day-trip, by punt or rowboat to JJ Foxes.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
But, asking for higher prices for everyone, is well ... an inanity!
Not exactly. It certainly is a stinker if you can already get Esoterica/unobtanium/whatever. But it's a decent theory. When demand outstrips supply by this much, the natural course is for price to rise so that demand equals supply. I've often wondered why people making highly desirable tobaccos don't charge more for them.
One of the fundamental facts of human society is that the value of something is what people are willing to pay for it, and value is not always the same as price.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I drive 1400 miles roundtrip when I need to stock up on HP Sauce. I want it, I have to go where it is. Closest place is in Canada.
It's nothing more than tamarinds and raisins in tomato paste . Sorta like a homemade BBQ or pad Thai sauce . Try making it .

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I've called several B&M's to ask them if they had Eso is stock, and they seemed perturbed to take the call. Maybe it was just my imagination. The annoyed voice on the other end made me think they were really telling me to come in and find out. They weren't going to tell me if they did have it. They were going to save it for their regular customers that bought everything else from them. That is what I would do anyway. So was that my imagination?
Anyway I ended up finding most of their blends, and nothing really tripped my trigger. I stop by any B&M I can whenever I am in town and make it a point to buy tins and talk to the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.