PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
CupoJoes, Top Hat and Mars have all, in the last 7-10 days, had deliveries of ET that were available on their web pages for several hours at least. When I came in yesterday from some errands,there was an email from a friend of mine that said Pelican was in stock at Pipes and Cigars. The email was 3 hours old and it was still available. Penzance and Stonehaven can be hard to find, and no one that I know who chases the product will turn them down, so they go in a heartbeat. But if Germains prodeuct in general was ever hard to find at an on line etailer, it isn't now.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
When I came in yesterday from some errands,there was an email from a friend of mine that said Pelican was in stock at Pipes and Cigars. The email was 3 hours old and it was still available.
How very interesting. I haven't tried thr latest iteration of Pelican......yet. :wink:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Cigar guys pay 6 times what we do for similar quality.
Sure, but that's due to the labor costs involved. With pipes you have the added cost of the pipe itself...and the pipe smoker is doing the "labor" with the whole process involved...including caring for the pipes.
So it only makes sense that premium pipe tobacco would be significantly less expensive than premium cigars.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Cosmic- I bought from the B&M as I’d prefer to support the retailer than a scalper selling secondhand. I hear about people finding hard to get stuff and making it available for others that are interested, so I was attempting to do the same.
Hoosier- it’s completely fine if you choose not to believe me, but I don’t appreciate being called a liar. Keep the negative comments to yourself, please.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Pelican is still available on P&C. One tin/customer. Resellers selling those same tins for $65 on ebay. I hate that.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Tkcolo- is the Pelican all it’s cracked up to be? I’ve heard the tin art is better than the tobacco...

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I've never had it. Fairly mixed reviews on tobaccoreviews. I made the comment because It was the first time I have seen it available.

Oct 7, 2016
The labeling on the last tin of Pelican I had in my hand said Arango, not Butera. But otherwise, no change to the product that I can tell. This can be very confusing, as it has been made by several different companies over the years, and tobacco reviews lumps the reviews together from Germains, McClelland, Stokiebye and Germain again. All that I have had recently (purchased from shops in 2017 and 2018) has borne a Jersey island (Germain) origin statement.
The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't last.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I am speaking on behalf of people who do not have access to it nor will ever have access to it at below ebay price.
If you want it to cost more from the manufacturer / retailer.... Then it sounds like you are comfortable with the price the secondary market charges - so just buy it there. Let us people getting it current prices do so.
Your logic is flawed... You want It to cost more so that it is more readily available to more people.... But it is already readily available at the premium price you say that you're happy to pay.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
You are blaming the wrong end of the food chain. No customers, no "scalpers."
This. I will never pay a flipper or someone who is "helping out the community" at 200% plus. Another board I'm on makes a point to draw...naughty bits on all of their Eso tins when they sell to someone in the community for a reasonable rate to stop flippers.
Would I like to try (any) Esoterica blends? Sure. But I'm not going to play the crazy games when there's plenty of good blends out there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Your logic is flawed... You want It to cost more so that it is more readily available to more people.... But it is already readily available at the premium price you say that you're happy to pay.
Perhaps this is actually just a clever ploy of the scalpers...just think how much greater the perceived value would be if the retail price was jacked up.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
While I am certainly curious, I’m also happy having never tried any of their products. Ignorance (and a marketplace full of other stuff that I really like) is bliss

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You guys that have good B&M's, been around long enough to know affordable Esoterica, or have good cellars are in a different place than OP. Someone sell that man some Esoterica!
Why? I'm supposed to search for a while to find it to sell to someone who's not willing to do the same? There's a pipe store locator at the top of this page. Start calling and it can be found.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hoosier- it’s completely fine if you choose not to believe me, but I don’t appreciate being called a liar. Keep the negative comments to yourself, please.
I don't need to call you a liar. Your post in the for sales tells the story.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
There isn't a brick and mortar tobacco store within 1000 miles of me
Online is all I got

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Ah yes , but dropping by and putting a face to the name seems to be the trick ..

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not really. Most of mine came from miles away from sellers that have never seen my face. They're just interested in moving product.

Status
Not open for further replies.