PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Maybe there is a chance someone from that company is reading this. You could consider an increase of your prices to $30 for 2oz and $80 for 8oz. It would accomplish two things, gives us mere mortals a chance to try your blends and secondly reduce the incentive (profit) from reselling your products.
The community values your products at that price or higher, so the market has determined the price independently and you may as well benefit from it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, the majority of us mere mortals don't rely on e-tailors for it. Call B&Ms, I get the tins for $14 and the bags for $30.

Reactions: jpberg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It won't work. The same people already paying more will just buy it all, and those who can't afford to pay more than the current prices will be effectively locked out forever. All your plan will do is enable the wealthier smokers to get it easier. And most likely, this would cause the prices on the secondary market to rise even further.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Please mr. gas company, raise the price of gasoline! I want to pay more! And please mr. electric company, raise the price for my electricity! I want to pay more, so you good folks can make more profit!.........

Please, Please... car manufacturers, raise your prices!!!! I WANT TO PAY MORE!!! I WAAAAANT TOOOOOOOOOOO PAAAAAAAAAY MOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!...............

Methinks there's a fool amongst us......... :crazy:

Reactions: jpberg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Call B&Ms
+10,000
I buy mine from B&M's. If you want to find Esoterica blends you will have to do the footwork. Eventually you will find what you're looking for. All this idea does is establish scalpers prices as the new retail. I have been patiently buying a bag here and a bag there over a number of years. I no longer have to chase it. If I can do it, so can you.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Esoterica makes fine tobaccos. But, there’s no reason to chase them down. There are so many fine blends out there that you can buy cheaply or in bulk. My Top 10 doesn’t include an Esoterica. The Germain blends are well crafted but the prices simply reflect scarcity. Save your money and buy: Maltese Falcon, Balkan Supreme, Sutliff 515, Squadron Leader, Peter Stokkebye’s LBF, LNF, or LTF, Boswel’s North woods, Sutliff ERR match, Orlik Golden Slice, Dark Bird’s Eye, Exotic Passion...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've built up all I'll ever need but will sometimes grab a bag of Pembroke for fun.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I understand that some people have access to it or have a lot of it. I am speaking on behalf of people who do not have access to it nor will ever have access to it at below ebay price.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I've got a few tins FS on the site. I realize they aren't as cheap as embers has found, but I figured I would grab them at the local B&M in case anyone wanted them. Not making any profit on these, but thought I could help out the fellow members who did hunt for this stuff.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My local B&M does a good job of getting them in somewhat regularly. $13 for tins and $35 per bag. My checking with them every other week or so has led to a few pounds in my cellar. Just find a place to start a relationship with, and keep chatting and going back. After a while, the stars will align and you’re bound to get some.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've got a few tins FS on the site. I realize they aren't as cheap as embers has found, but I figured I would grab them at the local B&M in case anyone wanted them. Not making any profit on these, but thought I could help out the fellow members who did hunt for this stuff.
Your B+M is selling Margate tins @ $45.00?? Good Lord.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
jpm - no, but I was including shipping in the orders. They still weren't cheap but I figured I was helping out the members.
You also said you misjudged the market and dropped your price $10 per tin....

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Yes, in NY because the tax is so high the bags go for minimum $70, at least at the one store in the entire county and next county that has them..

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Beafeater33 that is harsh. I don't agree with OP, but I understand his logic. The general resale market is crazy for many blends. I wonder why the manufacturer hasn't capitalized on it. We complain about how the hobby is dying, stores are closing, framers are switching crops and producers are quitting. Yet I still buy online for $2/oz instead of paying $7/oz at a B&M. I justify it because my "local" B&M is 3 hours away, but I am part of the problem. Cigar guys pay 6 times what we do for similar quality.
When I dipped, I spent $2000/yr on Copenhagen. I spent a fair amount building a cellar and a pipe collection, but I only really smoke $200/yr in tobacco. I can see why parts of the supply chain are leaving. I'd love to grow it myself, but if I had to make a living at growing and selling quality pipe tobacco, my end price would have to be higher than $2/oz.
As an ag producer, we sell a lot of finished steers, hogs and sheep directly to individual buyers. (We take them to the local butcher and coordinate the delivery of the meat.) Buyers get a far superior product, much, much cheaper than buying grocery store meat. It's not even close. And we make a lot more than just selling to a feedlot, like normal producers. The markup from middle men is crazy. I'd rather not ever sell a steer to a feedlot again. It holds for tobacco too.
You guys that have good B&M's, been around long enough to know affordable Esoterica, or have good cellars are in a different place than OP. Someone sell that man some Esoterica!

Status
Not open for further replies.