PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have quite a few Dunhill pipes. Apart from one 1927 Shell Briar, none are remarkable smokers. All are good, but not really what I would call special. The main reason I have these pipes in my collection is that Dunhill pipes are extremely handsome renditions of classic English shapes.

Remember, Dunhill has always been a luxury goods manufacturer, which means that they market to folks who are not too concerned about overpaying for something they want. They carry a price premium. That's why I never buy them at MSRP. I just bought two at the annual Iwan Ries Dunhill Trunk Show at 25% off.

BTW, White Spot retailers in the USA are not allowed to advertise a price below MSRP, but are allowed to sell them for less. So, Iwan Ries regularly will give you a discount if asked. Smokingpipes offers a fixed percentage off Dunhill pipes to at least some of their customers. My silver VIP level gets me 15% off. To save a good bit more, buy from Al Pasciá in Italy. For example, the 2018 Christmas pipe is $1950 after my discount at Smokingpipes. At Al Pascià, it's $1698.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So it’s only $1400 overpriced......

Not a bit.

"The value of a thing is the price it will bring."

And very much diff strokes, diff folks. But I value each person's druthers wrt how much he might spend on x, y, or z. And my $ 12.00 basket pipe from 1969 smokes as well as any of my Charatans, Dunhills, Barnes, etc. Etc. The difference is aesthetics, and inflation over the last 50 years.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think such discussions, in this case about Dunhill, founder because:

"Waaaiiit a second there is a Ferrari worth it? It does the Ferrari thing"

the Ferrari or Dunhill "thing" is not defined. That is, though I think you may know what you mean, you don't tell us what you mean. Without knowing this, we have no way to support or criticize your position.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hi Brian, Yes the Absolute is beyond any definition. We can be accurate in speaking about Him saying what He is not much more than the way He is. We don't apprehend His constant essence in everything due to our perception of the delusions of form, perception, ideation and consciousness, and these four grounded in the pervasive delusion of karma (Vasubandhu).The most powerful delusion is the "I", which maintains separation between ourselves and God (Nagarjuna). God Is, and He is Everything;' creation is not God but of Him. Creation is Nothing. (Meher Baba).

(That swami seems a tad tilted.)

Reactions: brian64

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
PSA

Dunhills suck. There is no good reason to buy one. They are overpriced, vanity incarnate and only appeal to those easily manipulated by marketing schemes. It's especially important thing is to stay away from larger Estate Dunhills, specifically 6103 and 6101 in the smooth finishes. They are a blight on society in general and pipe smokers in particular. They have been known to cause ED in men and facial warts in women. If you see one in the wild, notify me immediately in a PM with a link to the website with such offender and I will dispatch my Dunhill disposal unit to contain them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Dunhills suck. There is no good reason to buy one. They are overpriced, vanity incarnate and only appeal to those easily manipulated by marketing schemes. It's especially important thing is to stay away from larger Estate Dunhills, specifically 6103 and 6101 in the smooth finishes. They are a blight on society in general and pipe smokers in particular. They have been known to cause ED in men and facial warts in women. If you see one in the wild, notify me immediately in a PM with a link to the website with such offender and I will dispatch my Dunhill disposal unit to contain them.

Now this is a man who knows his Dunhills! A veritable mountain of such experience! Righty-O!

BTW.I have several 6103s and 6101s and never smoke them. But I would never sell them as they remind me of the English gentry in those funny red coats and helmet hats setting forth with a dozen hounds to tear a fox to pieces.

Such fond memories. . .

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I love these "Dunhill" threads! Poor people ragging about how they can't afford them and so mocking those who can. At least, that is what is between the lines. Sorry about your luck fellas... you should have studied harder for a good job! Ha!

I don't understand the difference between a Dunhill and any other premium "artisan" pipe. And I have both! I hold them in my hand, and what I see are well made, beautiful pipes! What else is there to a pipe? You're simply overthinking it all.

Is the romanticism of an "artisan" pipe maker toiling away in their shed "worth it"?

Do they have access to unicorn horn tipped drilling bits that imbue a certain je ne sais quoi?

Are they less likely to be crosseyed than the poor sod behind the whip at the Dunhill "factory"?

What is the Dunhill "factory" anyway? Row upon row of workbenches lubricated with the tears from 8 year old boys farmed out for work? The bloody English, I'd not be surprised...

What people are talking about here is simply their financial status. You're a dumb asshole if you have the nerve to buy a new Dunhill! How could you?!? (Damn, I wish I could blow through stacks of cash like that)

But so called "artisan" pipes for the same or higher price appear to get a pass. Well, I have both, and I can say with absolute certainty that there is no difference. But, of course, I'm one of those dumb assholes and my "artisan" pipes are not true "artisan" pipes.

Anyone ever notice how many "artisan" pipes magically hit a similar price point? That's very weird, isn't it?
Unless you pick up an "artisan" pipe from a Chinese pipe maker (which I have) -fuck the Chinese, am I right?- and they are suddenly marginally less expensive than many American, Danish, or Italian counterparts. But that's just Chinese Junk! Yeah... ok.

Better to apply the thought and effort in these threads toward studying for an occupation that sufficiently pads your account so that you need not concern yourself with the price tags of trinkets like this. It is far more productive if you're dumb and poor.

giphy.gif

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Jesus... before there is a dogpile here, I am only "taking the piss," as the English say.

I would have padded it with a heap of "emojis," but that's not my thing. Settle down fellas!

Although really, the whole "artisan" thing does have me baffled... especially price wise. And also, the notion of a "factory," in the pipe world, is something I think is ridiculous. I've been to real factories and my brain has conjured an image of what a "factory" should be. In the pipe world? More like a small shop, even from the very biggest of producers.

I think it's worth talking about.

Oh, and Merry Christmas. Seriously, if you're offended, I was only rattling your cage.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're simply overthinking it all.
Not really. I can afford any pipe I set my eye on. I've owned three Dunhills, two of which were bone straight, and none of the three could pass a pipe cleaner. Quality control is my issue with Dunhill. I've yet to buy an artisan piece of any shape that has issues passing a pipe cleaner.

giphy.webp

Last edited:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Not really. I can afford any pipe I set my eye on. I've owned three Dunhills, two of which were bone straight, and none of the three could pass a pipe cleaner. Quality control is my issue with Dunhill. I've yet to buy an artisan piece of any shape that has issues passing a pipe cleaner.

Just curious why you would buy pipes that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.