PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think that the issue with Dunhill that people have is the baloney that surrounds the brand, the occasional snobbery that somehow gets involved, the expressions of personal superiority that a few people seem to need to express about owning them, or the ludicrous belief that they're just so superior to all other pipes. They're good pipes. So are a lot of pipes made by others.
exactly..
it's mainly "fluff".

some people get truly butthurt if you dog on the brand though.. like really butthurt.

dog on Peterson pipes all you want, and then when you don't like yours send it to me.

I had a newer "White Spot" Dunhill and a 1968 that I traded to Jiminks..
the 1968 was nice but it never really did anything for me... and I know he had a thing for paneled pipes.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Despite all the criticism about Dunhill, which I voiced here as well, one thing I realised recently, Dunhill is one of the few modern day pipe makers, that make classic pipe shapes in all sizes.
I have problems to find an elegant classic pipe nowadays.
In the past there were Barling, Charatan, Comoy and so on. Nowadays they are gone.
It's funny that you mention that. If you've gotten to know many pipe makers, a lot of them have personal collections of Dunhills. Besides pipes carved for them by their pipe carving friends, Dunhill is the one brand that most of them tend to add to their own collections.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Technically, so are Dunhills. They switched to The White Spot in 2011.
Well, they called Alfred Dunhills White Spot, so it kinda still Dunhill haha.

Besides that the quality is the same, the shapes and forms are the same.

Comoy, Charatan, GBD still exist as well, even Barling I think, but these are not the same pipes that were made in the family/pre transition/ pre Cadagan eras.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Well, they called Alfred Dunhills White Spot, so it kinda still Dunhill haha.

Besides that the quality is the same, the shapes and forms are the same.

Comoy, Charatan, GBD still exist as well, even Barling I think, but these are not the same pipes that were made in the family/pre transition/ pre Cadagan eras.
I think Sasienis are still made as well, or they were 10 or so years ago, anyway.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.