PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dog growing up was a mixed water dog, half cocker and half springer, with two or three of his siblings being calm gentle house dogs. But George was a little nuclear reactor with blazing eyes and powerful hind legs. He could clear hedges in full stride and was a handful to walk, compact though he was. He insisted on swimming in the DesPlaines River, summer and winter, and through the ice, and if you didn't throw a stick out onto the ice he'd bath you in a shower of ice water. Once he was wet, you could see he didn't have any fat to keep him warm, and from his eyes you could see he burned with energy. I still have his photo on the wall, sitting on a kitchen chair in front of a refrigerator that was ancient even at the time. He lived well into his teens. Because of our jobs, my late wife and I, and my current wife and I, have always had cats, though we all grew up with dogs. So we have a place in our hearts for both.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I took in a pretty seriously abused pit mix in fall of 2019, just barely pre-pandemic, and it was a tall order, he had all kinds of behavioral issues and absolutely no trust in anyone. A giant dog and crazy strong, with a tendency to putting his mouth on people. I was volunteering at the shelter here in town and I just... took him home one night. Couldn't stand to see him in there anymore. Most dogs bond in about 5 minutes, it took Rocco and me months. I took him to work, lived with him in my presense 24/7 for about half a year.

And now, well, I've got the finest goddam dog there is. This is his smug face, gettin tummy rubs from mama and looking me in the eye to tell me I ain't shit, which is pretty great. He's a big friendly turd.
rocmom.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's a great story. I can't stand to think of the abuse some animals (and humans) have received. The rescue lab I have now was not abused; merely abandoned. He's never shown any signs of being hit, though I think he developed a fear of shotguns- as stand up vacuums and guitars are the closest things to a shotgun I have now and they get him in the avoidance mode.

Bless you and all who have the love, time and patience to nurture such animals.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I took in a pretty seriously abused pit mix in fall of 2019, just barely pre-pandemic, and it was a tall order, he had all kinds of behavioral issues and absolutely no trust in anyone. A giant dog and crazy strong, with a tendency to putting his mouth on people. I was volunteering at the shelter here in town and I just... took him home one night. Couldn't stand to see him in there anymore. Most dogs bond in about 5 minutes, it took Rocco and me months. I took him to work, lived with him in my presense 24/7 for about half a year.

And now, well, I've got the finest goddam dog there is. This is his smug face, gettin tummy rubs from mama and looking me in the eye to tell me I ain't shit, which is pretty great. He's a big friendly turd.
View attachment 130378
one of my friends had a rescue pitbull that had issues. For some reason that dog loved me and would just leap into my lap and try and act like a lap cat. Sharing it cause he's a great dog and that image is funny.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Here's my Schipperke, Xi'an, and here is what he did to one of my pipes.

View attachment 130462

View attachment 130463
like I said before. I figured out why dogs love pipe smokers. Cause in their mind it isn't a pipe it's a stick and finally they met a person that understands that fun of a good stick. In short can't blame the puppers for that.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
His rustications are better than some of Peterson’s!

like I said before. I figured out why dogs love pipe smokers. Cause in their mind it isn't a pipe it's a stick and finally they met a person that understands that fun of a good stick. In short can't blame the puppers for that.
That's a pretty good explanation. Never thought about it that way.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
That's a pretty good explanation. Never thought about it that way.
I never did until one day walking home from work smoking my only pipe at the time. A Canadian (long shanked billiard type pipe) and clenching it. This guy is walking a jack russell that has a stick. It looks up at me quizzically (the dog, not the stick) then gets this look that makes it easier to imagine the light bulb go on. He drops the stick and picks it up at the same angle I had the pipe at. That moment it hit me. That basically to a dog a man with a pipe is just a person that understands the value of a good stick.