PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
So true. We have a white GSD named Rigg's, shown below. He's awesome! Just an incredible German Shepherd. Intelligent, well behaved, friendly when he needs to be and imposing when friendly just won't do. The dog before him was also a white GSD. He had no clue he was a German Shepherd unless something got to close to my daughter and then he became all guard dog. When the event was over, he'd be a little stress and his face just said "I kinda scared myself there a bit"View attachment 110484
When we had Max, our former German Shepherd, he would bark, growl and look fierce the whole time he was backing up behind me. A friend of mine once said that Max was saying "Daddy, you tackle him to the ground and once you have him, I'll bite him."

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My avatar is my beloved english bulldog Clarence,named after the angel in the movie its a wonderful life. I miss him every single day. Last night I dreamed that my wife and I had a home in Austria which was near a big lake. He could jump into the water a swim like a fish and children and adults came in boats to say hello to him. Woke up with a smile and then a pang of melancholy. Loved walking with him and smoking a pipe. It is strange, isn't it how one dog's life can touch so many others...

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My avatar is my beloved english bulldog Clarence,named after the angel in the movie its a wonderful life. I miss him every single day. Last night I dreamed that my wife and I had a home in Austria which was near a big lake. He could jump into the water a swim like a fish and children and adults came in boats to say hello to him. Woke up with a smile and then a pang of melancholy. Loved walking with him and smoking a pipe. It is strange, isn't it how one dog's life can touch so many others...
Our furry friends are part of the family and when we loose one it is loosing a member of the family. It takes a part of you. I have had so many great pets, which if heaven exists, they will be waiting for me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is some utterly brilliant analysis! It’s never once crossed my mind. I always thought it was bc my dogs have always been big potatoes who just love laying around doing nothing while I smoke a bowl. But this it. You’ve figured it out!
gotta give credit where credit is due and it was that little jack russel that let me on the secret. If he didn't put that stick in his mouth like a person clenches a pipe I'd never have figured it out.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Who you calling a dog? ...
hShNlB5.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hector enjoying a spot in the sun early one morning. Often he'll ignore one of his three "beds" and just hit the boards.

As I now live alone, he goes with me everywhere, and waits patiently in the car when I have to go get groceries.

Favorite activity is golfing! Runs along side the cart most of the time, and also loves riding in the cart. He's eight, and was a year old when he was adopted in Davis, CA. He was abandoned in the nut orchards near Chico, and does not appear to have been abused, for which I am so grateful. A sweeter mostly-Lab I have never known. Not aggressive, but will hold his own when need be.

H on deck.jpeg

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I love dogs. Just can’t bring myself to get one. More work than what I’m prepared to do right now. But I’m loving the pics of all of yours.
Dogs give back more than you ever give them. They enlarge your life in ways you would never begin to realize. Dogs are so much better than humans. But don't get one unless you plan to treat them as a member of the family, because they deserve first class treatment. I hope someday you will get one just to experience unconditional love, something you seldom find in a human.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Dogs give back more than you ever give them. They enlarge your life in ways you would never begin to realize. Dogs are so much better than humans. But don't get one unless you plan to treat them as a member of the family, because they deserve first class treatment. I hope someday you will get one just to experience unconditional love, something you seldom find in a human.
Amen. and AMEN!!!

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
I grew up with dogs. My parents always had at least one. My favorite was the beagle. My wife and I both work and travel a lot so it wouldn’t be fair for the dog to be in a house by himself for the majority of the day. Maybe someday.