Does Your Region Have A Particular Delicacy Or Meal Associated With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Fried Goby Fish Odessa,Ukraine
u0kv15wl.jpg

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Here in NJ we enjoy a traditional dish called Meadowlands Surprise. It’s a puff pastry shell filled with chopped onion, peeled green apple, delicata squash, russet potato, garlic, ginger, curry powder, chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, kosher salt, skinless/boneless Jimmy Hoffa chicken thighs, and a beaten egg.

View attachment 35852
Jimmy Hoffa....pee-funny!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Countrybladesmith mentioned boudin in an earlier post for Louisiana food. The blood sausage and black pudding may be related to what is called boudin rouge which was a blood sausage made with pig's blood. If I remember correctly, the state outlawed it at one time so it's normally only found made by home cooks.
Yeah, I think you’re right. I’ve heard it called boudin rouge and boudin noir. You pretty much are only going to find it now at a big cochon de lait party.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Board of Health stopped the Blood Boudin, used to be a Cajun Race track called Clem’s that sold it on the QT, it was my Fathers favorite, I didn’t like it as Inwayched it made as a small boy.

Reactions: danimalia

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Back in the 1980's, me and a pal rode out to Assen for the Dutch TT races. We were both working as chefs at the time so we were interested in trying local dishes.

One such dish was of thinly sliced smoked ham, eggs (poached?) and bread. I seem to recall it was called 'brutji' or something very like it. Whatever it was called it was a great breakfast dish or ideal for a quick snack.

Any Dutch here who can put me right?

Regards,

Jay.?
Hi Jay,

You probably had a 'broodje gezond' (a 'healthy roll').

It's a very typical Dutch roll that you would buy for breakfast or lunch.
images.jpeg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
John, that's twice I've read of Dungeness crab on this thread and I was thinking how on earth did crabs from Dungeness in Kent become a delicacy in America.

A quick Google of 'Dungeness Crab' put me right ?

Regards,

Jay
I'd never heard of Dungeness, Kent until your mention if it and google set me right! In my admittedly biased opinion, Dungeness Crab is the best-tasting of all the crabs I've tried. I know folks in the mid-Atlantic region of the United States (Baltimore, Washington DC) love their blue crabs, which I will have to try at some point. The only blue crabs I have had were in a place called Puerto Barrios in Guatemala. It was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, with unbelievable humidity. I could not drink beer fast enough to get drunk, though I tried valiantly. I was just sweating it out faster than I could absorb it. The crabs were fine, but they took so much work for so little meat that I left the restaurant hungrier than when I arrived! The Dungeness Crabs are big enough to provide some nice chunks of meat for your effort, though they pale in size compared to the big Alaskan King Crabs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here in Southern California we have pretty much everything from everywhere, so it's hard to point to any singular dish. The only one that comes to mind is the French Dip sandwich, which was invented in Los Angeles either by Cole's or Phillipe's, both of which have feuded over who created it for the last 100+ years. And, of course, the supermarket was invented in Los Angeles as well, in the mid 1920's. And there's Trader Joes, which originated here as well.
While hardly a regional dish, we do have Langer's which is acknowledged worldwide as making the best Pastrami sandwich in the US. The Five Boroughs can go suck air on that one.
To our everlasting shame, LA is the home of the gourmet pizza movement. You can keep your goat cheese apple sauce pizza. I'll take pepperoni, please. And Northern California spearheaded the whole fresh seasonal cooking movement back in the 1970's. Simple fresh as can be locally sourced food at an ungodly mark up.

Status
Not open for further replies.