Does Your Region Have A Particular Delicacy Or Meal Associated With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Our specialties here in the Faroe Islands are all very old and have all come to be through various ways of preserving food to last through the winter.
Air dried (cured) sheep meat, whale, cod and seabirds are considered treats. They not only dry, but ferment in the process, giving them a rich, fermented flavor, that is very pleasant to people who have acquired a taste for it.
Salted whale blubber is served to go with dry whale meat and with dry cod or haddock.
Sea birds can be cooked fresh. They are then stuffed with sweet cake dough and boiled. Served with boiled potatoes and often some sauce.
Some seabirds get salted in barrells. They can be cooked or fried. When cooked, they have a thick layer of very salty fat, that gives them a distinct savoryness, you can't eat much of it or you'll get nauseous.
Fermented lamb heads are a treat. Also some people favor heads of large cod that have been fermented by covering them in hay for a couple of weeks. Alas I haven't tried that.
There is more, but it is in the same vein.
You win!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"There is plenty of good cheese made in the US. Craft or Artisanal Creameries are exploding on the west coast right now."

Of that I have no doubt. I was actually referring to a cheese (Canadian I think) called Monterey Jack (or something similar) and another cheese from the States whose name escapes me. Me and the then girlfriend use to buy both on a regular basis until they were suddenly dropped by Tesco for serious quality issues.

I'm a huge cheese lover though I cannot bide goat cheese. I kept nanny goats and took them to the Billy once a year for covering and upon seeing the nanny he would pee on himself for an attractive scent for her. Goat cheese smells just like that Billy goat ?

Some interesting dishes being served here pretty much as unexpected ?

Regards,

Jay.?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Have you ever tried to trap birds with those long sticks with nets on them? That looks like fun.
Yes I have. It is, or rather was, fun. There used to be an abundance of these birds here, and a man with a net could catch up to 1000 birds in one sitting.
They have declined and are only caught sporadically now, mostly just to ensure that the craft is not forgotten.
Industrial trawlers catch their food, leaving the birds to starve.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Florida is famous for Stone Crabs. I am from Boston and Stone Crabs suck compared to northern Lobsters. Florida is a food wasteland, they brag about their key lime pipe but it is no where near as good as Lemon Meringue. Fruits and veggies are fine at the Amish places, Publix sucks.
The meat ,Sea bass and Swordfish are also pretty good at the Amish place we shop at. We have a Costco that is close but it is still Costco, good deals on smoked salmon and a few other things. I miss Chinatown and the North End in Boston.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Cincinnati is a city of contradictions and cultural clashes, managing to combine a small-town sensibility with urban amenities and Southern flair with Midwestern practicality.

That's also a pretty solid description of the city's most famous regional food. Cincinnati chili, the dish spooned up at the wildly popular regional franchise Skyline Chili, is alternately beloved and hated. Sought after by rabid fans and passionately hated by at least one Deadspin reporter, the meat-based chili is sweet, strange, and often served atop a bed of spaghetti.

Despite its fame, Skyline Chili remains something of a mystery. Cincinnati locals fight about its secret ingredient (Bay leaf powder? Cinnamon? Chocolate?), while the rest of the country wonders if it's even chili at all. Let's take a look behind the curtain at one of the country's most notorious regional foods, from its origins as a highly guarded family secret to its unholy rebirth as a craft cocktail.

Chili 4 way, spaghetti, onions and cheese

4-way_Cincinnati_chili_from_Camp_Washington_Chili_in_Cincinnati_OH_USA.jpg

Cheese coneys with chili, cheese on a hot dog with onions and cheese

bd3f0534ba4e9f8429380b262c2e5832.jpg

How you posted without mentioning Goetta is beyond me...

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I live in the mid west but i was raised in the deep south. I grew up eating "Soul Food". Most thing make people who are not from the south cringe. Hog jowl, fried cabbage, greens, head cheese, brains and scrabbled eggs and of coarse chitlins

Interestingly enough I always thought Southern Italian peasant food and Soul Food had a lot in common. I too, growing up in an immigrant family in CT, feasted on greens, pigs feet, head cheese and the like. My siblings and I literally fought over brains. We lightly fried ours in olive oil with some garlic and a sprinkle of rosemary or oregano and spread it on crusty italian bread. Yum!! Of course we had our fill of more traditional stuff like Prosciutto, olives and pasta dishes out the yazzooooo. Food sure is awesome.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Rocky Mountain Oysters

View attachment 35899

Yum!
One day a man goes to a Spanish restaurant and orders a meal. While his meal is being prepared, he smells something amazing coming from the table next to him.

He looks over and sees a man eating a meatball dish, so he asks a waiter what that dish is:

"That is a dish made from bull testicles, very exquisite."

"Can I cancel my order and have that instead please?"

"I am sorry sir, but we only get those once a week after the bullfights, you can reserve next week's if you wish?"

"Sure."

So the man waits all week and he can't get that smell out of his head, until finally the meal is in front of him.

It was a little smaller than he remembered, but the taste more than made up for it, savoring every bite. When he finished the waiter came to him and asked:

"Was everything to your standard, sir?"

"Yes, thank you, I could have sworn they were bigger last week though...?"

"Ahh, yes sir, that is... you see... a problem... sometimes the bull wins"

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Menudo. Primarily in the southwestern US. Cows stomach in a broth with a red chili base. ?
Hell yeah. I can eat my weight in menudo. Especially with lots of fresh cilantro, onion, and jalapeños. Had it in Juarez, Mexico the first time I ever ate it. Had no idea what it was, but I’m a country boy, not afraid of offal or anything. It didn’t bother me when I saw the tripe and pig trotter, but I think the Mexican folks that were there were waiting on this gringo to wrinkle my nose up at it or something. ? I loved it.
My wife just about gags when I order it at the Mexican restaurant we go to, but it’s so damn good.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
-Bison meat, you can get a good bison burger at quite a few area restaurants.

-Ceaser, invented in Alberta. Tomato, Tabasco, and clam juice, plus alcohol, and it has built in snacks! What's not to like?

-Ginger beef, Alberta's contribution to westernized Chinese food. Whenever I go to Chinese buffets I get a couple plates of this. The best.

-Puffed wheat squares, like rice crispy squares only crappier, and chocolatey.

-Perogies and cabbage rolls, there was a huge amount of Ukranian immigration to this area in the 1800s-1900s, and there are several perogy specific restaurants with super awesome mega stuffed perogies covered with almost any topping imaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.