Does Your Region Have A Particular Delicacy Or Meal Associated With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Everybody's gotta have one of those! The Moose's Tooth Pizzeria and Brewery in Anchorage has an extremely loyal following, and for good reason. Everything from the old classics to tons of artisan options like Blackened Halibut Pizza or Thai Chicken, probably 50 or so pies on the menu. Incredible, incredible pies. All washed down with decent craft beer.

o.jpg

Hands down the best pizza joint in the world.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
-Bison meat, you can get a good bison burger at quite a few area restaurants.

-Ceaser, invented in Alberta. Tomato, Tabasco, and clam juice, plus alcohol, and it has built in snacks! What's not to like?

-Ginger beef, Alberta's contribution to westernized Chinese food. Whenever I go to Chinese buffets I get a couple plates of this. The best.

-Puffed wheat squares, like rice crispy squares only crappier, and chocolatey.

-Perogies and cabbage rolls, there was a huge amount of Ukranian immigration to this area in the 1800s-1900s, and there are several perogy specific restaurants with super awesome mega stuffed perogies covered with almost any topping imaginable.

Wrong.

Ketchup chips and all dressed chips.

That is all.

Reactions: canucklehead

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
California is a young state in a relatively young country, and the population is largely made up of people who have come here recently from somewhere else, so most of our "specialties" here in the SF Bay Area are borrowed or adapted from other places.

I would offer up:

Super Burritos: Meat, pinto beans, Mexican rice, and usually sour cream, guacamole/avocado and salsa wrapped in a flour tortilla. If you've had a burrito from Chipotle, you've got the idea, but a good Mexican taqueria version is usually superior. San Francisco likes to think it has the best burritos. In reality, they're pretty much the same throughout the state. Those of us in the East Bay prefer tacos, anyway. Oakland has a lot of wonderful taco trucks. If you're ever in the area, I suggest you try them.

Sourdough Bread: I don't really know how San Francisco and sourdough came to be linked, but it's quite good.

Cioppino: A seafood stew, usually with dungeness crab. Fantastic. During crab season, many Portuguese community groups raise money with crab feeds. You shell out $50 or so and you eat as much damn crab cioppino as you possibly can. Fun!

Honorable Mentions: These are basically straight imports where the previous 3 were largely California/American adaptations of other cuisines.

Dim Sum and Cantonese style BBQ: Dim Sum is basically Chinese tapas and dumplings. In SF and Oaklands' Chinatowns, and throughout the Bay Area there are tons of restaurants with roasted ducks and BBQ'd pigs hanging in the window. They're all delicious in my experience.

Pho: Vietnamese noodle soup. Has been continually growing in popularity and it's easy to understand why. It is cheap. It is filling. It is delicious. I don't know how they get that broth so incredibly rich with flavor.

The Bay Area is an incredible place to eat. Within 10 miles of my house, I can probably find every kind of cuisine imaginable. We're very lucky in that regard.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Here in NJ we enjoy a traditional dish called Meadowlands Surprise. It’s a puff pastry shell filled with chopped onion, peeled green apple, delicata squash, russet potato, garlic, ginger, curry powder, chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, kosher salt, skinless/boneless Jimmy Hoffa chicken thighs, and a beaten egg.

View attachment 35852
Jimmy Hoffa. LOL!!!

Reactions: danimalia
Aug 1, 2012
Rocky Mountain Oysters

View attachment 35899

Yum!
Heck yeah, that's a big "dare" meal in my part of the Rocky Mountains too. It also tastes pretty good. We do cowboy coffee and steak as regional dishes here too.

Interestingly, we also have a type of jello salad here that's made with cottage cheese, jello and canned fruit (rarely it could also contain mini marshmallows). It has showed up at most family gatherings and was almost invariably brought by a mormon. Therefore the family calls it "mormon salad."

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Heck yeah, that's a big "dare" meal in my part of the Rocky Mountains too. It also tastes pretty good. We do cowboy coffee and steak as regional dishes here too.

Interestingly, we also have a type of jello salad here that's made with cottage cheese, jello and canned fruit (rarely it could also contain mini marshmallows). It has showed up at most family gatherings and was almost invariably brought by a mormon. Therefore the family calls it "mormon salad."

My wife’s family makes some crap like that with cottage cheese, orange jello, and canned mandarin oranges.

I live in US Suburbia- 100s of restaurants around me - most with below average quality of food. There may be a few good ones - but they are impossible to discover - most of my neighbors celebrating these restaurants are parochial.
Now 50 miles away from me - New York City. Now that’s what I call a global food hub! Average quality of food in NYC is in a different league altogether!
There is a working class neighborhood in a city about 10 miles away from me - It has amazing Mexican food. I discovered it
by accident when my son was hospitalized for a few days, I stayed with him during the day and had to find lunch!
I live near Princeton University. I strongly believe that places where a cosmopolitan body of students eat, must be out of the world! Lazy to investigate that yet!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"That would be Monterey, California, actually."

Thanks for the correction chum ?

Plenty of weird and wonderful names for dishes coming up. It must be a wonderful thing to be able to travel the world and sample (some) of these dishes.

I still can't get my head around 'head cheese'!

Regards,

Jay.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Us Romanians claim that we have some particular dishes, that are original to our country, when in fact they are adaptations from various occupying cultures throughout history. I guess the most emblematic is the traditional "Sarmale" which in essence are meatballs with rice rolled in kraut, fresh cabbage leaves or grapevine leaves, and boiled. You can find variations of this dish in other cultures in the Balkans, most notably being the greeks and the turks - the latter not eating pork sarmale anyway. Tripe soup is another traditional meal, and while you have cultures that use a cow's stomach to cook a soup, ours has a local note with plenty of garlic and sour cream. Eastern Romanians (former Moldavians) eat a lot of polenta, which basically corn flour mixed in boiled water and stirred to a thick paste. I guess the only dish, so to speak as it's not truly a dish, that I didn't find in any similar form in other cultures is the "mujdei" - in its simplest form a dip/sauce made from mashed garlic, slowly mixed with oil, herbs, spices, and water. Variations exist.

I was born and grew up in the largest city of the former Banat Independent Principality under the Habsburg empire, in fact in my family my grandfather was the first generation to be born under Romanian rule and government. I am used to the german style chicken soup, plenty of schnitzel, cartofen salad, a variety of sausage ranging from your classic pork/game, to blood sausage, liver sausage and so on. In fact Empress Maria Theresia brought many people in order to colonize the region from Baden Wurttemberg, the Ulm area (which I am thrilled to say I get to visit again next week), that call themselves schwabben. From them we have spetzle (some sort of german pasta), apple strudel, speck (smoked pork leg), etc. My wife comes from what was formerly known as the Duchy of Transylvania, so she is used to a bit more of a Hungarian influence in her cuisine. I know that we don't always see eye to eye as she likes her pork knee bean stew, while I can't stand it. I later found out that pork knee is also big in bohemian and bavarian cultures. Cabbage and cumin soup is another big hit where she comes from, and spicy peppers are a must eat on a daily basis. Generally the Germans eat fatty food, and it was well understood why, since most land Germans in our area were farmers, which meant lots of manual labor demanding a high caloric meal. It was not unusual for my grandfather, after a day o collecting hay, to have raw lard, bread, cheese, onions and tomatoes for lunch. We try to stay away from traditional stuff, and eat less meat nowadays. The food is tasty as hell, but it will send you to an early grave, especially if you have a desk job and over indulge in it.

Our traditional drink is tzuica or palinka, which is a plum brandy. The Germans call it schnapps, and it can be made from fruit other than plum - my personal favorite being quince. I don't know why Romanians made a claim over it, as being the inventors in the Ardeal area. I also know that we had a fight with the Hungarians over this in as far who gets to claim it as a national heritage thing, and honestly I don't know what came out of that. At the end of the day, I like may rakjia (as we call it in Banat) and I prefer drinking it over any other type of had liquor.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Back in the 1980's, me and a pal rode out to Assen for the Dutch TT races. We were both working as chefs at the time so we were interested in trying local dishes.

One such dish was of thinly sliced smoked ham, eggs (poached?) and bread. I seem to recall it was called 'brutji' or something very like it. Whatever it was called it was a great breakfast dish or ideal for a quick snack.

Any Dutch here who can put me right?

Regards,

Jay.?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Tripe soup is another traditional meal"

Madox, I recall once being fed tripe as a child, it was hideous ?

As for your 'blood sausage' I suspect that must be like the Black Pudding we have in the northern counties. I being a Yorkshireman adore the stuff!

Regards,

Jay.?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016

As for your 'blood sausage' I suspect that must be like the Black Pudding we have in the northern counties. I being a Yorkshireman adore the stuff!

Regards,

Jay.?

this is tripe soup, and I for one love it. It is an acquired taste though ...

iskembe-corbasi.jpg

and this is the blood sausage. I don't know much about blood pudding, but I guess it is all done with coagulated blood. We do this first after we slaughter a pig. From the knife sting in the jugular artery we collect all the blood, which is slowly boiled, mixt with spices, fat, and stuffed in a pig's intestine.

sangerete.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015

Regards,

Jay.?
Countrybladesmith mentioned boudin in an earlier post for Louisiana food. The blood sausage and black pudding may be related to what is called boudin rouge which was a blood sausage made with pig's blood. If I remember correctly, the state outlawed it at one time so it's normally only found made by home cooks.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yes Madox, that's just the same as our black pudding. In Yorkshire it's known as 'black dack' for some reason.

I will eat it raw but when fried in a little butter with mushrooms & tomatoes it's delicious ?

I suspect this dish goes back to the dawn of time and is to be found all over the world. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "the only part of a pig you can't eat is his squeek"!

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.