Does Your Region Have A Particular Delicacy Or Meal Associated With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Our specialties here in the Faroe Islands are all very old and have all come to be through various ways of preserving food to last through the winter.
Air dried (cured) sheep meat, whale, cod and seabirds are considered treats. They not only dry, but ferment in the process, giving them a rich, fermented flavor, that is very pleasant to people who have acquired a taste for it.
Salted whale blubber is served to go with dry whale meat and with dry cod or haddock.
Sea birds can be cooked fresh. They are then stuffed with sweet cake dough and boiled. Served with boiled potatoes and often some sauce.
Some seabirds get salted in barrells. They can be cooked or fried. When cooked, they have a thick layer of very salty fat, that gives them a distinct savoryness, you can't eat much of it or you'll get nauseous.
Fermented lamb heads are a treat. Also some people favor heads of large cod that have been fermented by covering them in hay for a couple of weeks. Alas I haven't tried that.
There is more, but it is in the same vein.
Have you ever tried to trap birds with those long sticks with nets on them? That looks like fun.

Reactions: workman

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Is it too early to mention poutine?
Other than that, and some local cheddars and curd, we’ve got terrific meat pies, and a local take on Welsh rarebit.
When I was young, Turkey Croquettes were all over the place, but they have become hens teeth locally.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Our local pizza joint has been around quite some time, they advertise that they invented the Taco pizza and they are most famous for it, very very good pizza.

However the one they make that I consider my favorite pizza of all time is their BLT, extra mayo please!

Reactions: danimalia

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Our local pizza joint has been around quite some time, they advertise that they invented the Taco pizza and they are most famous for it, very very good pizza.

However the one they make that I consider my favorite pizza of all time is their BLT, extra mayo please!
Everybody's gotta have one of those! The Moose's Tooth Pizzeria and Brewery in Anchorage has an extremely loyal following, and for good reason. Everything from the old classics to tons of artisan options like Blackened Halibut Pizza or Thai Chicken, probably 50 or so pies on the menu. Incredible, incredible pies. All washed down with decent craft beer.

o.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
After exchanging casual comments with forum member JPBerg about Wensleydale Cheese on another thread I got to thinking of regional delicacies in general and what my region of Cornwall is famous for.

I came up with five unique treats and considering the size of Cornwall that's a pretty high number.

First off we have the world renowned Cornish Pasty, made only using potatoes, turnip, onions and beef skirt with a little seasoning. Known locally as an 'oggy', a freshly made pasty is truly a meal in itself and if made right is a real treat. Not many folks know that all the ingredients, including the beef skirt are encased in the pastry raw and the pastry shell acts as a steam cooker when it is placed in the oven to cook. My personal favourite pasty shop is in Falmouth and goes by the owner's unfortunate name of Choak's Pasties!

View attachment 35836

Second up is Stargazy or Starry-Gazey Pie. This is a most unusual dish as it has the heads of the pilchards poking out of the pastry! I seem to recall forum member Chasing Embers had either tried this dish or at least heard of it?

Dating from the 16th century, it is basically a fish and potato pie. It is often made in the fishing village of Mousehole (pronounced 'MOUZEL') on what is known as Tom Bawcock's Eve, 23rd December. Never tried it myself and I doubt I ever will....It just doesn't look right to me!

View attachment 35838

Thirdly we have Yarg Cheese. This is allegedly a 13th century recipe of a semi hard full fat cow's cheese. Nothing unusual in that I hear you say, well this one is wrapped in nettle leaves which after maturation gives it a lovely edible rind. This is a delight to add to a ploughman's lunch in place of the traditional cheddar cheese. My preferred way is to lightly grill a pitta bread both sides, split the pitta to make a pocket then lightly butter the insides before placing in slices of Yarg afore going back under the grill. Scrumptious!

View attachment 35840

Next up we have Hevva Cake (sometimes erroneously called Heavy Cake). This light fruit cake dates back to the days when pilchards were caught by their thousands in nets in an operation that required much skill and speed from the fishermen. A 'spotter' or huer would be sat atop the cliffs and when he spotted a shoal of pilchards in the sea below would shout "hevva, hevva" (meaning 'here they are') whilst pointing in the direction of the shoal. If the catch was a good one the wives made Hevva Cake as a celebration!

View attachment 35841

And finally we have the renowned Cornish Cream Tea. This is quite simply a lightly buttered scone with strawberry jam (jelly in the States) with a good dollop of Cornish Clotted Cream (a delicacy in its own right) sat atop the whole. In the neighbouring county of Devon they have got it all wrong as they put the strawberry jam on top of the cream which is sacrilege :eek: . This causes much merriment when the two get together to argue it out!

This is a special treat, often served in summer with a pot of good tea. Unfortunately those such as myself with a moustache are unable to enjoy this treat without getting it all over said furry top lip :rolleyes:

View attachment 35842

So folks, there you have a brief gastronomic tour of the county I live in. Anyone prepared to share what your district or area is famous for in the food stakes? I should imagine there are many things folks outside the area may never have heard of.

Regards,

Jay.
I'm not fond of fish anyway but wouldn't eat anything that stared back at me.:eek:

Reactions: mawnansmiff

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Is it too early to mention poutine?
Other than that, and some local cheddars and curd, we’ve got terrific meat pies, and a local take on Welsh rarebit.
When I was young, Turkey Croquettes were all over the place, but they have become hens teeth locally.

No offense intended, but this reminds me of another post on the forum ?

20200710_165022.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018

I love BLT pizza. First time I had it was in a bar near Dearborn Michigan about 25-30 years ago while visiting The Henry Ford Museum.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Our Wild Salmon (mostly Sockeye, Chinook, and Coho) are probably the most world famous. That or our King Crab. However, I would argue that Alaska's most regionally unique cuisine is the various game meats and native foods that are eaten. Not a ton of other places in the world with a diet that can include Moose, Muskox, Seal, Whale, Caribou, Ptarmigan, etc. Not to mention the various wild edibles like blueberries, salmonberries, rhubarb, fiddlehead ferns, rhubarb, morel mushrooms, and more.

Some of the preparations of these meats are done in a world class fashion (Moose Bourguignon, anyone? Perhaps smoked salmon and halibut neopolitan mousse to start? Muskox Carne Asada? Spruce Hen Au Vin? Caribou tenderloin with wild blueberry demi-glace? Panko Asiago crusted stuffed halibut in morel cream sauce? Maybe a little Rhubarb pie for dessert? Or some Fireweed Jalapeno Jelly?)

But as far as global association is concerned, the first words you will likely hear come out of most people's mouth are wild salmon or king crab. Which is just fine.

I would think the food most associated with Alaska is hooligan oil.??

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Regional specialties? I live in Louisiana ?
How long have you got?
Gumbo (several varieties), jambalaya, red beans and rice, boudin, barbecue shrimp, po’ boys, blackened anything, etouffee, shrimp creole, fried frog legs, fried alligator, etc, etc. I’m just scratching the surface. Then we have typical Southern fare as well.
This is quite simply a lightly buttered scone
Y’all’s scones are essentially what our biscuits are in the South, minus the sugar. Fig preserves are a pretty common topping for them. Or sausage gravy. Or chocolate sop. Or ribbon cane syrup.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Regional specialties? I live in Louisiana ?
How long have you got?
Gumbo (several varieties), jambalaya, red beans and rice, boudin, barbecue shrimp, po’ boys, blackened anything, etouffee, shrimp creole, fried frog legs, fried alligator, etc, etc. I’m just scratching the surface. Then we have typical Southern fare as well.

Y’all’s scones are essentially what our biscuits are in the South, minus the sugar. Fig preserves are a pretty common topping for them. Or sausage gravy. Or chocolate sop. Or ribbon cane syrup.

You forgot beignets.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Cheese coneys with chili, cheese on a hot dog with onions and cheese.... "

I've heard stories about American cheese that would make your toes curl ?

As for 'fermented sheep's head'......all I can say is WOW!

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: briarbuck

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.