PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankryan

Lurker
May 16, 2010
I had to drive back from my dad's today it usually takes anywhere from 40 mins to an hour depending on traffic I was by my self in the car so I filled my pipe in the 7/11 parking where I had grabbed an ice tea. I took care to pack and get it lit before I was into traffic. But I was a bit distracted and know i wound up smoking that bowl of CBW to fast because I was worried about having to relight too often. It just wound up being a cluster %uck so I would likely not try it again as a driver perhaps as a passenger it would work alot better. I got to thinking if this was a common experience or if some are real pros at it and could share their expertise.
So,does anyone else smoke while driving and any good stories involving driving with your pipe?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Frank,
For me it's standard operating procedure.

I pack one and char light it before I leave.

And, when I'm ready for the pipe, I take a butane to it.

I don't particularly like to pack a pipe while driving.

That has to wait for traffic lights.

But, I never have any problem when smoking my pipe and driving.

In fact with a properly aimed AC vent, I find that keeping the pipe lit is actually easier than sitting my easy chair.

But, I recommend a light pipe that can be clenched.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I am a clencher so maybe that makes it easier to smoke while driving, but I have always smoked while driving. I too pack and char before I set out. As for relights, I wait for a stop light, pull off the highway, or light with one hand while clenching. I tend to smoke black or dark brown blasted pipes when I drive to hide any rim charring due to missing the bowl while lighting and driving. I used to have a 45 min to an hour long commute to and from work so it was perfect for a pipe. I just find that if I have to pay more attention to the pipe than I can while driving, then I just wait till I get a break in my driving responsibilities to do whatever I have to do to the pipe.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I can find myself trying to smoke a little to fast while driving do to 2 factors.
1: Other people on the road piss me off. When I'm pissed off I smoke faster

2: I'm trying to keep the pipe lit and so I and trying to constantly puff
Therefore I smoke blends I do not get tongue bit with. I like this one blend at my local tobacconist called Sundowner. Its a light aromatic thats smokes sweet and smooth. Also has no tongue bit. Its a good all day blend. CBW is a no go for me while driving. It destroys my mouth almost every time I'm in the car.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
I have a 50 min. ride each way to work and almost always pack a bowl. Same as pstlpkr I do the charring light first and then go on my way. If it goes out at an inconvenient time I put it aside until I stop long enough for a relight which always seem like a long time!! Also I'm a clincher.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a designated driving pipe, a short, ¼ bent Stanwell bulldog that doesn't get in my way. Its capacity is just right for my once-a-week 75 minute trip. Driving and being away from home are the only times I use butane lighters, and I only re-light when stopped in traffic.
I think what I need most is a convenient pipe holder that allows the pipe to sit-up properly when not in use. Back in the days when the interiors of cars were made with a lot of metallic parts, a pipe with a magnet in the bottom of the bowl would prove useful.
dpe6.jpg

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Absolutely. If I'm driving, there's a Pipe to keep me relaxed and surprisingly, a bit more observant. In the DFW Metroplex traffic, I need all the help I can get. I can relight at stop lights or just pull over. I carry a cell phone, but rarely turn it on.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
A Bent Bob is the perfect driving pipe for me . light and go . Get plenty of strange looks . My comute is 40 miles each way .

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
You know I have always herd of 1Q and if I remember right I think my grandpa used to smoke it but always called it Special #2(guess it was called that back in the day) even after name change if this is the same tobacco. I should order a couple of ounces to try it out.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I used to smoke cigars in my old car, but after I got a new car I don't smoke in it anymore.
I do sing at the top of my lungs though.
However, I live in a downtown area where I walk everywhere and I work from home, so I only drive my car about twice a month.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
i smoke while driving if i am alone.... i never have had any problems getting it lit or staying lit, pipe or cigar. but i used to be a trucker...

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
generally, it's another distraction and many lives are lost each year due to people smoking in their cars. Perhaps these people were doomed as God hated them anyway .Ill bet more people die from changing the radio . How do you know they were smoking if they were killed . Did someone ask them .More coolaid please .lmao

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The way work is going lately, I'm inclined to start a bowl up as I leave work to hopefully calm me down...that 35 minute fighting traffic, slow people in the LH lane, bumper to bumper traffic has been getting to me lately. Everyone in the company smokes cigarettes in their truck, so a pipe would not be a problem.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Hobie you need a little clencher pipe . I use a little Bent Bob poker with a curved stem . It allows me to focus on the road and not the pipe .Welcome to the club of hard core commuters . I try to make a good time out of my commute , nice cold soda , good music , good smoke . That is to say I make it my time . Try and find other people who are on the road at the same time as you are everyday and give a wave and smile .

gandalfpc

Lurker
Jul 9, 2010
A light pipe or better yet churchwarden, with a wind cap for safety in case dropped while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.