Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

highstump

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2010
I smoked my pipes in the car almost every commute. I decided to stop the practice when airbags became so common.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
gwtwdbss: I've seen those. I may try one of them, but the opening is not quite conducive for tapping out the pipe
I like this one, looks like it might fit in a cupholder, superglue a cork knocker to that center piece. I used to have a piston ashtray when I was in college, so I may try to make me one of these from an old piston.
41iboBbwaCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I always smoke in my truck.. rarely do I have passengers.

one of these is prefect for the truck cigars butts and pipe ashes dont get loose..
images

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
The one I showed was on Amazon. It's called a "Nori" ashtray
But for that price, I think I may try to get me an old piston the size of my cupholder, machine it down, glue in a cork knocker.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I smoke in my vehicles, be it the truck or car. I got into the habit back when cars had lighters and ashtrays instead of usb ports and cup holders. I once had a cup holder that was a little plastic thingy that hung on the window ledge. Any of you remember those little metal caps that were called "wind caps" in England that fit on top of the pipe bowl? They had a lid that could be opened and shut for filling or tamping. Sometimes instead of a lid they used a sort of spring-like top. Anyway, they were good for keeping the rain and wind out of your pipe while driving a convertible, with your windows down, or boating, fishing, etc. They did not work very well on anything other than a standard bowl. They were used a lot in northern Scotland and Ireland because of the wind and rain. There was also no danger of the ash falling in your lap while driving. Hoo-ha!

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I keep my “work pipe“ and a few tins of tobacco in my car. I smoke on the way to work and on the way home. I find that it helps in the transitions to and from work.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have my pipe lit before I get into the car. I don't worry about ashes I just open my window, tip the bowl a little and they fly out. I have found I am a much less aggressive driver with a pipe in my hand or teeth, and I find that I am no longer in a hurry as long as my pipe is with me.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Alright then.. have to say it went quite well... couple of things I learned on this three hour rampage up the most hated highway in central Texas.
Loaded three bowls. Each lasted me about 45 minutes on the drive. So it worked out great for the 3.5 hour ride.

Re-lighting is a bit of a pain. I was glad I had my pipe lighter handy and not have to fiddle with Zippo's, matches or a Bic lighter.

Tamping works by holding the bowl of the pipe between thumb and index finger, hold the wheel with the remaining fingers of the same hand. Other hand grab the tamper, tamp slightly.

I used a styrofoam coffee cup with a bottom of water in my armrest cupholder to dump the ashes. Works great, but I have an idea for a better ashtray. I'll post that somewhere over the weekend when I'm done with it.
Besides that, pre-loading the bowls worked great and provided me with a nice smoke all way to the Dallas mix-master. I'm not that courageous I'm going to attempt to fly through that highway spaghetti around 10 PM at 70 miles an hour with a pipe in my mouth :rofl: For those from around here, they know what I'm talking about.
Sunday, same thing but in reverse direction ;-)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
As long as its not too hot outside, I smoke on the way to and from work and when I sit in my car at lunch reading. Usually Falcons as the bowl sizes are perfect but lately its been my Peterson's as well. I don't smoke when its too hot as the AC tends to heat the pipe up.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I once sat in a on a presentation by the late Peter Stokkebye and he told a story on how he usually rolled his own cigarettes, by hand, while driving.

okkine

Lurker
Dec 4, 2012
I've spent a fair amount of time on the highway this past summer, and have made a habit of enjoying a pipe or two on the road. Pack and light the pipe when I stop for gas (not at the pump), then continue on my way. I generally just tamp it quickly with a finger since the tamper is a two handed job. I have a go-to blend for the highway that stays lit nicely, so relighting usually isn't a problem, plus it goes particularly well with black coffee! I find it relaxes me nicely, so I'm quite content to go the speed limit, and don't even care if I get stuck behind someone going under the speed limit.
As a bonus, earlier in the year, I took up cigarettes again for a couple months. Even after quitting, the smell just wouldn't go away regardless of what I sprayed. Then I had a couple pipes on a weekend getaway. Took about two weeks for the pipe smoke to completely clear, but when it did, the cigarette smoke was gone too!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As a favor to my wife, I don't smoke in her car. I do smoke in mine, which my wife calls, "The ashtray."

Status
Not open for further replies.