PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

OK Everybody, I'm Giving you one chance, and only one chance here.

So Make it Count.

Since we aren't far into this yet (5 days, 12 bowls) I want to know if you guys would rather see me color my new Astas bent Apple meer , instead of my Altinay. They are both about the same size. But I can see the translucency already on the Astas, and I believe it will color in a faster and more fun way.

However It's up to everyone who cares enough to watch this dumb thread.

I need votes. And apparently they took away the poll option, as I couldn't find it. :confused:

Keep or Change.

View attachment 188430
View attachment 188431View attachment 188433View attachment 188434

Tomorrow 12-20-2022 at Noon Central time I will count the votes. Every vote counts. (If I even get any at all ha)
Definitely the Astas.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Meerschaum does not color from smoking. The "wax" in the meerschaum colors. If you want to do a nice job of coloring your new meer you should only handle it by the stem and never touch the bowl or shank... especially when it's warm. This can cause thw wax to come off and be replaced with the oils from your fingers... not what you want. puffy
I don't think that is the case. Meers seem to color two ways. One is the wax heating up. I've seen a couple of people who smoke them with white gloves to preserve the finish. The other is to let the oils, moisture, etc. Color through from the inside out. That's where you get the deep brown color. My Meers are coloring slowly and at this point it isn't the wax. I've cleaned them with a hot water wash so many times, there's no wax left. Not only do I wash with hot water, I scrub the outside under hot water to remove the dirt and debris.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Over the course of a year the opportunities for word play are endless - just say "apple" holding your tongue - so much low hanging fruit once that bowl starts to brown. It could be a sheer test of will to keep going.

I vote "Ass-tah", butt if that pipe wins, I'll wipe the slate clean and keep it cl-ass-y.

You may need to endeavor to persevere!