Did I Just See a Peterson Christmas 2021?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Anyone want to talk me out of buying one of these?

Here's my case for buying one...
  • I don't currently own any Peterson pipes
  • I don't yet own any Christmas pipes
  • I don't like P-lips or vulcanite stems (so this Xmas 2021 really hits the mark for me, as these Sherlocks are not normally available in a configuration I would buy)
BUT if it probably isn't going to smoke very well (poor drilling seems to be common), I'd rather not waste my money/time.

Thanks for any advice you care to give.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Anyone want to talk me out of buying one of these?

Here's my case for buying one...
  • I don't currently own any Peterson pipes
  • I don't yet own any Christmas pipes
  • I don't like P-lips or vulcanite stems (so this Xmas 2021 really hits the mark for me, as these Sherlocks are not normally available in a configuration I would buy)
BUT if it probably isn't going to smoke very well (poor drilling seems to be common), I'd rather not waste my money/time.

Thanks for any advice you care to give.
I’m not sure how big you want your collection to be but if you’re not looking to have it be huge, you would want the one Peterson you own to be a pipe you’re completely in love with from the start and can't help buying. I realized the things I buy have their maximum appeal when I first consider buying them then they lose that magic (to varying degrees) over time. If you start out having to convince yourself this is a good pipe to buy, chances are you won't love it in the long term but instead like it just fine.

Also, having a season specific pipe is kind of fun (Christmas, etc.) but I think that’s mostly marketing. You can designate an pipe as a Christmas pipe and this Peterson offering communicates "Christmas" just as well as any other dark stained, metal banded pipe.

I think your last point is a good one.

Some folks here who've kept their poorly drilled ones said they smoke just fine for the most part. Personally, I realized it’s not worth buying a pipe if it isn't drilled well unless I have confirmed that smokes well. There are plenty of pipes in the sea, as the saying goes.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I’m not sure how big you want your collection to be but if you’re not looking to have it be huge, you would want the one Peterson you own to be a pipe you’re completely in love with from the start and can't help buying. I realized the things I buy have their maximum appeal when I first consider buying them then they lose that magic (to varying degrees) over time. If you start out having to convince yourself this is a good pipe to buy, chances are you won't love it in the long term but instead like it just fine.

Also, having a season specific pipe is kind of fun (Christmas, etc.) but I think that’s mostly marketing. You can designate an pipe as a Christmas pipe and this Peterson offering communicates "Christmas" just as well as any other dark stained, metal banded pipe.

I think your last point is a good one.

Some folks here who've kept their poorly drilled ones said they smoke just fine for the most part. Personally, I realized it’s not worth buying a pipe if it isn't drilled well unless I have confirmed that smokes well. There are plenty of pipes in the sea, as the saying goes.

Thank you for this. Sound advice indeed, as I review the pipes I was drooling over yesterday... today there is significantly less drool.

Your words of wisdom combined with the fact that I just bought a custom piece from Mark Tinsky that hasn't even landed on my porch yet tells me I need to chill.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thank you for this. Sound advice indeed, as I review the pipes I was drooling over yesterday... today there is significantly less drool.

Your words of wisdom combined with the fact that I just bought a custom piece from Mark Tinsky that hasn't even landed on my porch yet tells me I need to chill.
Yeah, I need to take my own advice more often. I bought a sandblasted Milverton in part because I did like how it looked but also in part because they were selling out so fast. Seeing one on SP made me think, "this might be my only chance to get one!" I ordered it right away and the "thrill" went away after a few days and was not really there when I saw it in person. That, coupled with the poor drilling made it clear (though not necessarily easy) that I should send it back. Lost about $8 from having to ship it back to SP. Not an expensive lesson but I could've spent that $8 on more tobacco.

Anyway, post that Tinsky when it comes in!

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Anyway, post that Tinsky when it comes in!

puffy

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Peterson Christmas 2021 pipes now also online with smokingpipes.eu. Just ordered a rusticated Professor online, ironically the pipes only became available the day I returned from a trip to Dublin. Visited the shop earlier this week, but they were not released yet. Peterson Dublin store is disappointing though. Friendly enough service, but uninspired display of pipes with almost everything missing that could make this store amazing and interesting.

Reactions: AroEnglish

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Third time's a charm as I purchased and returned two pipes from this series until I landed on a Smooth Hansom. Sent a Rathbone back because it was a little forward heavy for clenching and a Watson I bought was much too big. This one is just right. Well balanced and surprisingly light despite its chunky appearance. Smokes like a champ.954663ED-7275-41E0-96CB-CDCED84017D4.jpeg