Did I Just See a Peterson Christmas 2021?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
My understanding is that Peterson uses gum arabic, a tree sap, and activated charcoal powder as a bowl coating. The powder is usually visible on the surface of the bowl coating, and has a feeling like a very fine sandpaper. I think with these pipes the mixture contained more gum arabic, as the surface had a hard, smooth feeling to it.

Some people complain that the taste is offensive. I find that the coating doesn't have much of a taste at all...

I just scraped the stuck on tobacco bits off after the bowl had dried out and loaded another bowl. No problem.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
My smooth Strand arrived today. Drilled high and to the right. This one will go back. At least the stain didn’t rub off in my hands. The Milverton PSB was drilled high in the mortise, but they did manage to get the draft at the bottom of the chamber… There’s a sort of dimple feature around the pressed in “P” on the stem… I’m not digging it. This one will go back too.

3 out 4 Peterson’s I ordered in the last week have drilling/QC issues. I won’t be ordering any more Peterson’s any time soon.

14400A05-C6FF-4EE1-BBD4-DAA96A40C894.jpeg267271E5-36F0-452F-B580-127F6A9B0506.jpeg5EFB0CBB-1683-4B95-91B3-6B3E9B57D084.jpeg091C67BA-CE1F-4190-998A-B801C479D318.jpeg0BBF7FA2-33A5-4553-94C3-45E6364D160D.jpeg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I see they added more Christmas pipes today... Based on my experience I won't be ordering a replacement, since I'll probably just end up getting another poorly drilled piece of junk.

With some of the issues I've read about here and on other forums, I think the whole concept this year was nothing more than a cash grab. With pipes rushed through the process and haphazardly made.

Maybe blow my money on China made pipes... at least they're drilled correctly. :LOL:

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
I see they added more Christmas pipes today... Based on my experience I won't be ordering a replacement, since I'll probably just end up getting another poorly drilled piece of junk.

With some of the issues I've read about here and on other forums, I think the whole concept this year was nothing more than a cash grab. With pipes rushed through the process and haphazardly made.

Maybe blow my money on China made pipes... at least they're drilled correctly. :LOL:
You have the worst luck with Petersons! Before this one, I bought five new ones in the last year, all were drilled dead center.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
You have the worst luck with Petersons! Before this one, I bought five new ones in the last year, all were drilled dead center.
Well, this year I have. Prior to that, all the new Petersons I bought were drilled well. I've returned 5 this year, ranging in price from $100 to $400. It's just a real pisser that they can't drill these with any consistency lately. I thought the 2018 takeover by Laudisi was supposed to bring some better quality to the marque.

I bought my first Peterson in 1990, and I've got about 70 of them now.

The pipes look nice and the silver work is fantastic. But that doesn't mean much when it's drilled like a basket pipe.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve ordered half a dozen Petersons online and none have had good drilling. I was hoping this would be the exception and I think the pictures will speak for themselves.

497F115E-6A01-4FEB-824B-F746B0185F5A.jpeg
8BA5C749-C6FB-4BF5-949D-A1F547FD9D2F.jpeg
41DBD4C8-B597-4005-A597-2E52B3956B28.jpeg

This would make a lovely Christmas ornament but has a long way to go to being a good smoker.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Casual and craig61a

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve ordered half a dozen Petersons online and none have had good drilling. I was hoping this would be the exception and I think the pictures will speak for themselves.

View attachment 98689
View attachment 98690
View attachment 98691

This would make a lovely Christmas ornament but has a long way to go to being a good smoker.
My Milverton looks the same…

I think these Christmas pipes were meant to be decorations. The way they’re drilled they remind of the pipes that are sold to tourists at gift shops.

Over the years I’ve bought Petersons where the drilling was slightly off, but nowhere near as bad as what I’ve seen with this series.

Problem is is that plenty of people are willing to accept this poor workmanship, and the manufacturer just seems to turn a blind eye. Too bad, so sad, we’ve got your money, and you’ve been had…

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My Milverton looks the same…

I think these Christmas pipes were meant to be decorations. The way they’re drilled they remind of the pipes that are sold to tourists at gift shops.

Over the years I’ve bought Petersons where the drilling was slightly off, but nowhere near as bad as what I’ve seen with this series.

Problem is is that plenty of people are willing to accept this poor workmanship, and the manufacturer just seems to turn a blind eye. Too bad, so sad, we’ve got your money, and you’ve been had…
I agree with everything that you’ve said except for the "you’ve been had" part. It's clear that they have a certain standard. The question is: is that a standard that’s acceptable?

While you and I would clearly answer "no" some would answer "yes." Those that answer "yes" can enjoy their pipes while those of us who answer "no" can stop buying their product.

I've taken a shot on new Petersons a number of times now and I haven't learned my lesson up to this point. I hope those of us who aren't satisfied with the Peterson quality do what we can by letting Laudisi know that we’re not happy, both by telling them and by not buying their pipes.

Reactions: Casual