PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I work for a professional basketball team. We’re on indefinite work from home policy until the commissioner fires the league back up. I’ve now switched gears to being a kindergarten teacher as my son is out of school for at least a month. I’m thankful we’re getting paid as usual but I’m about to lose my mind. There’s a reason I didn’t pursue teaching as a profession. ?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I’ve now switched gears to being a kindergarten teacher as my son is out of school for at least a month. I’m thankful we’re getting paid as usual but I’m about to lose my mind. There’s a reason I didn’t pursue teaching as a profession.

Quite a few online resources for that age. We did ABCmouse when we were raising our grandson during breaks in preschool and kindergarten. It had a nice mix of educational activities and some just fun things to do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My county had its first two yesterday. I find it annoying they won't release any information at all, even approximate location, or where the disease was contracted. F___- HIPPA, if that's what's in the way of helping the rest of us be safeguarded.

In short, they are relying on the infected person's memory to notify people he was in proximity with. Not good.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My county had its first two yesterday. I find it annoying they won't release any information at all, even approximate location, or where the disease was contracted. F___- HIPPA, if that's what's in the way of helping the rest of us be safeguarded.

In short, they are relying on the infected person's memory to notify people he was in proximity with. Not good.
same here.. there was one case in county. where was it? who was it? where did they go?
who the fuck knows?

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I'm screwed. I work in tourism and it's seasonal, I make my income mainly through the spring and summer. I live in France and we're in lockdown, it's suppose to be 15 days but a friend in local government has been told expect 6 weeks. The country where most of my clients come from has advised against foreign travel under further notice.

I can understand why the measures have been taken and I support them.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I work in a bar/restaurant and was told to apply for unemployment today. The problem is that I've only worked there for 3 weeks so I'm not eligible. I have to start applying for a new job tomorrow in a state that's nearly on lock down. I guess I'll try and get a job cutting grass and/or landscaping, and hope the grass starts growing very soon? I might have some pipes and/or tobacco up for sale soon?
Yeah man, I’m really sorry to hear that. Maybe under these circumstances they will make exceptions for unemployment? I really hope so cause you’re right, it might be an extremely difficult time to find employment.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha, well I don't see myself as a hero, but I do appreciate it. I will say this... it has been absolutely crazy. The few times we do get a kind word such as yours really helps, as you can imagine some people say and treat us completely the opposite. I'll lightly paraphrase some of what I said on my Facebook page earlier today.... People, please remember, your grocery store employees are dealing with the exact same things you are, but we are going into work every day, knowing the day is probably going to suck, doing our best to help all of you rather than ourselves. Just remember we are people too, and please try to treat us nice.

And really that's all we really want, is people to remember we aren't their punching bags and that we're going through the same thing everyone else is.
I for one can say I really appreciate what you all do. It’s sad to hear that people are nasty like that. If the groceries stores close up shop, the majority of us are screwed. We really need to be as helpful and appreciative as we can, be thankful that there are are those people like yourself that are risking their own safety to provide food and supplies to the people.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Haha, well I don't see myself as a hero, but I do appreciate it. I will say this... it has been absolutely crazy. The few times we do get a kind word such as yours really helps, as you can imagine some people say and treat us completely the opposite. I'll lightly paraphrase some of what I said on my Facebook page earlier today.... People, please remember, your grocery store employees are dealing with the exact same things you are, but we are going into work every day, knowing the day is probably going to suck, doing our best to help all of you rather than ourselves. Just remember we are people too, and please try to treat us nice.

And really that's all we really want, is people to remember we aren't their punching bags and that we're going through the same thing everyone else is.

Today here in Minnesota, the Governor classified grocery store employees as "emergency personnel":

In Minnesota, Walz's classification allows grocery store workers to be eligible for child care services for their children while the schools are closed statewide. He listed "food distribution workers" as "tier 2" emergency personnel.

"Care for children of educators, gas and electric utility workers, food distribution personnel, water treatment staff, and others outlined below is essential to ensuring the public continues to receive these vital services," Walz noted in an executive order.

He added, "Districts should make every effort to provide care for school-age children of workers in the areas below, if they are able to do so while adhering to the Minnesota Department of Health's social distancing guidelines."

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I work at a shipyard in mobile, al. that has about 4000 employees. We build ships for the navy and are considered defense contractors necessary for national security, so won't be shutting down.

Reactions: DavidT and BROBS

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Today here in Minnesota, the Governor classified grocery store employees as "emergency personnel":

In Minnesota, Walz's classification allows grocery store workers to be eligible for child care services for their children while the schools are closed statewide. He listed "food distribution workers" as "tier 2" emergency personnel.

"Care for children of educators, gas and electric utility workers, food distribution personnel, water treatment staff, and others outlined below is essential to ensuring the public continues to receive these vital services," Walz noted in an executive order.

He added, "Districts should make every effort to provide care for school-age children of workers in the areas below, if they are able to do so while adhering to the Minnesota Department of Health's social distancing guidelines."

? Sounds like they are doing things right over there! Bravo!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If we don't get a handle on this soon our economy will completely crash.

I am 62 and have seen some serious economic shit storms but this dwarfs aii the others combined. We are headed for a depression like the world has never seen before.

I don't think that is an overstatement...it could very likely be the case if things continue the way they are. But, IMO, it won't be due to this virus...it will be due to the extreme manner in which the "response" to it is being conducted, far disproportionate to the reality of the situation...and it may end up destroying more lives than the virus would have if we had done nothing.

The numbers simply do not justify the hysterical reaction to this IMO. The vast majority of alleged cases, even in the supposedly hardest hit areas (such as Italy where the average age of the deaths attributed to this has been reported to be 79) are elderly people who were already chronically ill. This is not really any different than the yearly "ordinary" flu.

If someone dies who tested positive (assuming the test is accurate) the death is attributed to Covid19, but this is no different than if someone with poor health and a weak immune system (often due in large part to the pharmaceuticals they are on) dies of pneumonia in any other circumstance. But the death was actually the result of their overall condition and weakened state.

So if the manner in which this is being handled...i.e. "shutting everything down" and putting countless people out of work and bankrupting countless businesses is justified, then why not do this every "flu season"? Why are the deaths from this particular virus more significant than the thousands of deaths every year from any other virus when it is not even really a serious illness for the vast majority of those who are infected with it?

IMO history will look back on this "shutdown" and ruination of the economy over this as the real catastrophe.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

So I went to my interview this morning. I haven't heard anything. I took my mom lunch and dropped it off through my window. She had Lunch B (chicken chop suey and egg foo young, and I picked up some Turtle Somethin' custard for her too). I went to work from 4-8. We're doing carry-out and may start delivery Monday. We did 5 orders Monday, a few Tuesday, about 30 on Wednesday, and about 10 tonight. We hope the weekend will pick up. You can pick up a bottle of Bad Juan when you pick up your food! We'll see what happens, but I'm feeling like I should try and ride it out with my current employer if he's able to give me 28 hours a week. I can scrape by in a pandemic on 28 hours at $12. No sweat. It's a locally owned restaurant/bar with 5 locations. A couple of the locations have closed, but we're going to try and stay open. It's a super slim crew, basically ownership and a couple cooks. Me being one of those cooks. Grateful.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't think that is an overstatement...it could very likely be the case if things continue the way they are. But, IMO, it won't be due to this virus...it will be due to the extreme manner in which the "response" to it is being conducted, far disproportionate to the reality of the situation...and it may end up destroying more lives than the virus would have if we had done nothing.
An analysis of how these batshit crazy and unwarranted measures is gonna sux you in the near future:

Who cares about restaurants and bars, right? Yeah, until the city hall raises your property tax to recoup what they're no longer getting from business licences.

The cheque from the gov't is BS: it's a pittance that will barely pay one month of rent. It's also money that the gov't will give you with the right hand and will quickly take from you with the left.

jdival215

Lurker
Jul 26, 2018
I’m fortunate to work for a large utility company so our work will continue but it has slowed to emergency work only. They are trying to limit our exposure to the public. When this thing finally passes local small businesses will need our support and patronage. Stay safe everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.