PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Anyone else's work slowing as a result of this pandemic? Company I'm with still has work,, but is definitely slowing in the residential and commercial bid areas. Hours are falling back already.
Good news is that 1. I have faith, 2. Have a good supply of nice tins to open and enjoy and 3. There are some crazy good mini series on Netflix!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Hasn't affected my job directly yet. I am a service tech for new home builds, and we are just making sure clients have not travelled and are not ill. Our suppliers for building materials are running low on stock, I've noticed. Only time will tell to see what will happen I guess. All government employees in the province are "working from home" for a while....aka sitting at their computers playing Doom / watching Netflix.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am retired and blessed this didn't happen years ago. My pool hall would have been empty. My tenants would be doing shit for business. This flu could have hurt me real bad depending on how long it lasts.
I sold my last business on 7/15 2017 and I am very grateful for that. My heart goes out to every small business person out there. I can imagine the fear they must be dealing with.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I'm a truck driver. I haul farm commodities from farms/grain elevators to markets to sell(grain wagon/bottom hopper work). I also haul bulk dry fertilizers, lime, gravel, sand, rock, etc,etc(long dump work). The only change we have seen so far is that we can't enter the scale houses anymore after today. Other than that it's business as usual.

When I say scale houses, I mean the one at the product pick up point. If the State/federal scale houses on the interstate are open and the DOT inspector/operator asks me to come inside with my paper work, I have to enter that one :)

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I am an accountant at an Insurance brokerage. Covid-19 has not affected my work directly, but I do know the account manager s and agents are getting all kinds of questions on what is or isn't covered. (We sell a lot of commercial policies. Businesses that are impacted are hoping to be covered)

As a side note; I will be setting up a work from home system just in case...

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm a maintenence man at a subsidized apartment complex.. I work for a large management company. Most of my bosses I've never met. My orders are to only work on real emergencies... and a strange one, I can bring my kid to work. School is cancelled in Alabama, probally for the rest of the school year. I guess this is to keep me coming to work. It's company wide. I am greatful for their consideration, If you needed daycare, I'm sure you can't find it. My son can stay home with my wife. Although, I might take him with me a couple of days just for fun.

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I work on a small organic farm. We’re planting and preparing ground like normal, building greenhouses and getting ready for things to warm up. The caveat? All of our markets are currently canceled, and they are our main source of profit. If we can’t sell stuff, the owner can’t pay me...and if I can’t work, the farm’s production will be way down, meaning less profits when the Covid situation is over.

We don’t know what’s gonna happen in the next few months, or how we’ll sell our stuff...but the sun’s gonna shine, the rain’s gonna fall and plants will still grow.

Plus, if the shit hits the fan and things go south, I’ve got a good source of fresh produce...

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Print and Promotional Products Sales and management. Nothing terrible, but a few clients have canceled events, loss in sales for them and us. It’s really the uncertainty that is most unsettling. Trying to practice common sense, patience, and big picture thinking.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Today was one hell of a day, and it's not over yet. Warners ordered a bug out and shut down production on several live action shows.
I spent the day getting files transferred onto my workstation before shutting down and packing it into my car to take home. I'll be working from home until further notice. This really complicates my job of art directing this show. I spent a good part of the day helping staff get their gear in order and providing information to get them set up with VPN so that we can continue to work in a virtual studio. IT has been swamped, getting a worldwide corporation set up to work remotely. Gotta go.

Jan 8, 2013
You’re more of a hero than you know! People working in grocery stores/retail deserve medals at this time.
Haha, well I don't see myself as a hero, but I do appreciate it. I will say this... it has been absolutely crazy. The few times we do get a kind word such as yours really helps, as you can imagine some people say and treat us completely the opposite. I'll lightly paraphrase some of what I said on my Facebook page earlier today.... People, please remember, your grocery store employees are dealing with the exact same things you are, but we are going into work every day, knowing the day is probably going to suck, doing our best to help all of you rather than ourselves. Just remember we are people too, and please try to treat us nice.

And really that's all we really want, is people to remember we aren't their punching bags and that we're going through the same thing everyone else is.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I work in a bar/restaurant and was told to apply for unemployment today. The problem is that I've only worked there for 3 weeks so I'm not eligible. I have to start applying for a new job tomorrow in a state that's nearly on lock down. I guess I'll try and get a job cutting grass and/or landscaping, and hope the grass starts growing very soon? I might have some pipes and/or tobacco up for sale soon?

Jan 8, 2013
I work in a bar/restaurant and was told to apply for unemployment today. The problem is that I've only worked there for 3 weeks so I'm not eligible. I have to start applying for a new job tomorrow in a state that's nearly on lock down. I guess I'll try and get a job cutting grass and/or landscaping, and hope the grass starts growing very soon? I might have some pipes and/or tobacco up for sale soon?
Sorry to hear that. Try local grocery stores. My understanding is they're most likely to stay open. Might be worth a shot applying as temporary help. They may well be needing help.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My wife is a bartender so we're right there with you.

Hopefully after flu season ends things will go back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.