PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All bars, restaurants, gyms, schools, and public convention centers are closed in Anchorage until at least April 1. No bars on St. Paddy's will be tough for some of them. Many businesses may not survive if it goes too long. All employees still at work for us, but we are only 13 strong in our Anchorage office, everyone has their own office so social distancing is pretty easy here. Also only 3 cases in AK so far.

My real worry is for our employees that work out of our Prudhoe Bay, AK office. It is an isolated construction camp environment which typically gets ravaged by anything contagious. If it hits up there many of our employees may not be able to return to work. Further, if any kind of domestic travel ban goes into place, they won't even be able to get there in the first place. You can't Land Survey from home, so these people would effectively be laid off, and we as an employee owned company may have to supplement their income just to retain them.

It takes a lot for them to shut down an oil field, and they are heavily screening all employees entering the field right off the airplanes, so we are still optimistic, but it's spooky.

Wow that is quite radical, I don't know how many cases you have in Alabama, but one would think that the population would have access to food supplies. Is the Governor planning on government ran basic goods redistribution centers or something? In Italy it is my understanding that from each family that is not quarantined one person may go to the grocery store, with a special permit, having check points where police officers do id people and check the permits.
The Governor posted something earlier today, but redacted it almost immediately. I got the notification that she had posted, but I didn't ever get a chance to see what it was.

We have had cases in our county and one in my city. It looks like the police are just "being present" at all businesses here. But, it has been a lot less people out.
The one order by the Gov was no more than ten people anywhere. I think she was going to clamp down more, but may have pulled the original post.

I never knew how much car noise there was in my yard till there weren't any.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and madox07

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Back on US soil and through customs after visiting family and friends the last 4 days in and around Guadalajara.

Fastest I've ever been through customs.

It'll be interesting to see what the next few weeks brings to say the least.

For anyone who wonders, there was zero health checks/procedures in place for foreign arrivals. No questions asked of us. I could've easily smuggled something in. ?

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
I'm a pharmacist working at a university health care center. Interesting times we live in.

We're considered "essential" so not worried about closing. I'm in California, so they've sent every employee over 65 home. Leaves the health center somewhat short of employees though. There is no face-to-face instruction so campus is pretty quiet although we're selling a lot of cough/cold products. Hand sanitizer's are non-existent, as well as masks, alcohol, etc. Morning-after pill sales have been brisk!! No social distancing there. LOL!

So far, my 4 adult children are all working and are still getting paid although they're working remotely from their respective homes. Thank God for that.

Sunday morning I went by Costco. A police department squad car was parked at the front door with 2 policemen sitting in it. A couple of days ago, several Costco's in the area were overrun by unruly people trying to hoard merchandise and had to be shut down.

Like I said. Interesting times.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I just listened to the ministry of interior press release a few hours ago. I am still chewing on it ... things are not critical, but ... s*** will hit the fan. We have 6000 citizens on the border with Hungary, that are going to be led to quarantine in military establishments tomorrow. Be that as it may .. but we still have some 4 mil Romanian citizens that are working in the EU still ... it's going to be a royal you know what. We shall see ... things are not promising.

• Sad
Reactions: Casual and BROBS

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
Now that you mention it, I just realized that I'm not hearing any trucks from the nearby quarry going by. Interesting.
We have 5 trucks pulling 49 foot long dumps running 12 hours a day and we can't keep up with the gravel/rock/sand work. The company owners were even in trucks today hauling loads.And yes, we are hiring.

Trucking can't stop, if it does, things really will go ape shit.

We all might end up with 53 foot dry vans hauling from warehouses before this is over, but I don't see truckers or the trucking industry being told to halt operations.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
We have 5 trucks pulling 49 foot long dumps running 12 hours a day and we can't keep up with the gravel/rock/sand work. The company owners were even in trucks today hauling loads.And yes, we are hiring.

Trucking can't stop, if it does, things really will go ape shit.

We all might end up with 53 foot dry vans hauling from warehouses before this is over, but I don't see truckers or the trucking industry being told to halt operations.
Hats off to you Illinois is a tough state to truck in especially if you are in southern Illinois

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm a pharmacist working at a university health care center. Interesting times we live in.

We're considered "essential" so not worried about closing. I'm in California, so they've sent every employee over 65 home. Leaves the health center somewhat short of employees though. There is no face-to-face instruction so campus is pretty quiet although we're selling a lot of cough/cold products. Hand sanitizer's are non-existent, as well as masks, alcohol, etc. Morning-after pill sales have been brisk!! No social distancing there. LOL!

So far, my 4 adult children are all working and are still getting paid although they're working remotely from their respective homes. Thank God for that.

Sunday morning I went by Costco. A police department squad car was parked at the front door with 2 policemen sitting in it. A couple of days ago, several Costco's in the area were overrun by unruly people trying to hoard merchandise and had to be shut down.

Like I said. Interesting times.
Panic shopping makes zero sense to me. Like everywhere else, this town has been TP-less for nearly 1 week. Was in the grocery store today and saw all ground beef was gone. Come on people, even with cities who "shelter in place" there's no prohibition on going to the grocery store so there is little reason to hoard let alone stock up all that much. I've never used this phrase in my 66 years of living til now-folks, (some) are just plain dumb.:mad:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
The industry in which I work, is as a supplier for materials for body shops. We are currently working as normal, but I suspect business will slow a bit as people are not out driving as much and subsequently not wrecking as much.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Is it that hard to relate to? If anyone can understand collecting stuff that isn't needed right now but might prove useful down the road, provided you live long enough, it ought to be we old guys who collect pipe tobacco. It's the same model for the grocery store people--it's all Penzance to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.