PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Fuck it... I just can't stay up till f'n midnight to chase C&D marketing bullshit. I'm just too old to be waiting in line for tickets like a punk'd out fanatic. I will just leave this setting up all hours of the night crap for the teenyboppers.
Do I feel a little let down... yep.
On a weeknight I’m lights out by 9:30. I just set an alarm for midnight, briefly pissed off my wife, made my purchase and was asleep again by 12:05.

On a weeknight I’m lights out by 9:30. I just set an alarm for midnight, briefly pissed off my wife, made my purchase and was asleep again by 12:05.
See, that is just ridiculous. Why not just make the drop at 9AM Eastern, or whenever SPc opens their doors? A midnight drop just shows that they are being more loyal to the younger guys. puffy
Thoughtless, even.

I'm over it, but for future small batches... phhht. I'm really happy they are doing well with these, but I am not about to ruin a whole day by setting an alarm for midnight.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
See, that is just ridiculous. Why not just make the drop at 9AM Eastern, or whenever SPc opens their doors? A midnight drop just shows that they are being more loyal to the younger guys. puffy
Thoughtless, even.

I'm over it, but for future small batches... phhht. I'm really happy they are doing well with these, but I am not about to ruin a whole day by setting an alarm for midnight.
I agree the midnight drops are irritating, but how does it “ruin a whole day”? I’m lucky that I’ve never had sleeping issues, so it’s not a problem for me to set the alarm and take a few minutes to complete the order. It’s not much different than the several times per night I get woken up by a cat head butt to my face.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
I agree the midnight drops are irritating, but how does it “ruin a whole day”? I’m lucky that I’ve never had sleeping issues, so it’s not a problem for me to set the alarm and take a few minutes to complete the order. It’s not much different than the several times per night I get woken up by a cat head butt to my face.
I have sleeping issues. I got a non-emergency call from family once at about midnight, and it just ruins me the whole next day. I now turn all devices off at night. I don't care if we are being invaded by Cuba, do not wake me up. My eyes will automatically pop open at 5AM, rain, shine, summer, winter... 5 AM, like clockwork.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have sleeping issues. I got a non-emergency call from family once at about midnight, and it just ruins me the whole next day. I now turn all devices off at night. I don't care if we are being invaded by Cuba, do not wake me up. My eyes will automatically pop open at 5AM, rain, shine, summer, winter... 5 AM, like clockwork.
In that case, that’s definitely a problem. I saw in the other thread that you scored some, so I’m glad it worked out

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
More than Esoterica?
When word got out (Yes here) that McClelland was Closing I started the Chase, Calling and Visited B&M's for weeks. SP & TP (Frog Morton Cellar last drops), P&C, JR, Milan and Mars my charge card was close to $600....McClelland is gone forever so I am done Chasing as it was "The Great Chase"...Now Esoterica who?

McCLELLANDCellar.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, that was interesting. It's also long over.

I knew about McClelland closing months before the story broke here, and there was a lot of bitching here that some people knew about it before everyone did. But, the idea was to let loyal customers know through their retailers, not open it up for every opportunistic speculator to swallow up every available tin, which is exactly what happened in the end.

And then the prices on eBay were eyeopening to say the least.

The bitching and frenzy over Esoterica sails on.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, that was interesting. It's also long over.

I knew about McClelland closing months before the story broke here, and there was a lot of bitching here that some people knew about it before everyone did. But, the idea was to let loyal customers know through their retailers, not open it up for every opportunistic speculator to swallow up every available tin, which is exactly what happened in the end.

And then the prices on eBay were eyeopening to say the least.

The bitching and frenzy over Esoterica sails on.
If you didn't know mcclelland was done in December, you weren't listening at all. Most of the mcclelland offerings are really available at most online retailers through all of January and most of February. One could have easily purchased hundreds if not thousands of tins of 40th Anniversary as well as their trademark Virginia blends. I got quite a bit but wish I got triple or quadruple.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Not to derail wistful McClelland talk, but I wonder if these midnight special releases are going to get more and more competitive.

It used to be, and by used to I mean like six months ago, limited releases would hang around at least until noon the next day. If not that night. Hell some hung around for weeks or months.

Now we're seeing stock running out at SP with their order limits within 3-4 hours of the thing going on sale. Even more niche retailers are selling out by morning. Looking into my crystal ball I worriedly predict big releases like Cringle Flake 22 will be gone within minutes, if not seconds :eek:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When word got out (Yes here) that McClelland was Closing I started the Chase, Calling and Visited B&M's for weeks. SP & TP (Frog Morton Cellar last drops), P&C, JR, Milan and Mars my charge card was close to $600....McClelland is gone forever so I am done Chasing as it was "The Great Chase"...Now Esoterica who?

View attachment 125719
Had a feeling about them when Christmas Cheer got discontinued then Red Cake. Most of my stash was secure long prior to the closing with just a few tins of Deep Hollow added when the notice dropped.

20190423_014218.jpg

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Midnight drops are pointless, but if we all play along with it then it will continue. I also think it’s a kiddy marketing technique. It sucks seeing pipe tobacco become like craft beer. The un-trendiness of piping is one of its appeals to me but C&D I guess feels obligated to modernize things. The people who are setting alarms to get this are in my mind analogous to those who stand in line/putting down lawn chairs to hold spots in line for limited beer releases from the local craft brewery…well almost as bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattRVA

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The un-trendiness of piping is one of its appeals to me
Seems like if pipe smoking has been given a trendy name like "piping", it's lost its un-trendiness. There's more than just a handful of people smoking pipes to buy thousands of pounds of tobacco and low to high grade pipes to keep multiple online stores and B&Ms in business. The number of us on online forums is just a drop in the bucket compared to the total.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Midnight drops are pointless, but if we all play along with it then it will continue. I also think it’s a kiddy marketing technique. It sucks seeing pipe tobacco become like craft beer. The un-trendiness of piping is one of its appeals to me but C&D I guess feels obligated to modernize things. The people who are setting alarms to get this are in my mind analogous to those who stand in line/putting down lawn chairs to hold spots in line for limited beer releases from the local craft brewery…well almost as bad.
Please help me understand why any of that is a bad thing? Seems to me a company creating excitement and enthusiasm for their product is a good thing. The product most often being excellent enough to warrant standing in line for seems like a good thing. And for those who don't wish to "stand in line", there's a large, diverse lineup of standard products that are readily available to choose from.

What am I missing?