PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like the Diplomat 5th Ave and Country Gentleman, myself. They're all good, with just some variations in terms of stem material and whether they have hardwood plugs or not.

Some people buy higher quality stems for them. The Forever stems from Walker Briar Works come in vulcanite or acrylic (my preference), and have a ton of great colors. I am not much of a clencher (someone who holds the pipe in their mouth), really, but I can mutilate the plastic stems that come with MM cobs pretty quickly.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is Missouri Pride Corn Cob a good option to dive into Pipe Smoking hobby? What other Missouri Meerschaum Cobs to look upon as a beginner Pipe Smoker?
The Mark Twain, Country Gentleman, Regular and 5th Ave Diplomat, and even the Legend are great options depending on what you want.
I would get Danish stems for them... I even prefer them to forever stems.
And they are cheap.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
You kinda can't go wrong with any of the MM cobs ...I would say though that the standard Legend bowls are great for starting out though because they have thicker walls. I started off with a Country Gent. and love it still but find that it gets really hot easily.

I find that the unfinished cobs are really good at dissipating heat, too ...I feel like the natural design of the corn cob is like a little radiator.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I treat them as "disposables", inexpensive and very capable of a decent smoke. But, do not judge all pipes by one material.
warren to be honest, I would never. Cobs for me can be my mentor for now to teach me Pipe Smoking basics. But all along, I would never neglect the bright aspects of Briar and Meerschaum in Pipe Smoking arena!
Happy Piping! puffy

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't look at Missouri Meerschaum cobs as disposable. They can last for many years and give a fine smoke with most blends. Since a pipe can last for years or a lifetime, I would strongly suggest getting one of the special edition pipes that comes with an acrylic stem. These cost about $25 instead of $5 or $10, but you won't be buying replacement seems for it either, so it will be a savings over time and doesn't cost much to begin with. You may also replace the regular less durable stems with acrylic stems from Forever Stems, but these will end up costing a little more than just starting out with a pipe that comes with them. Some people think a cob pipe looks too folksy, but I'd smoke one if I were wearing a suit or tuxedo; they are classic pipes.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I like the Diplomat 5th Ave and Country Gentleman, myself. They're all good, with just some variations in terms of stem material and whether they have hardwood plugs or not.

Some people buy higher quality stems for them. The Forever stems from Walker Briar Works come in vulcanite or acrylic (my preference), and have a ton of great colors. I am not much of a clencher (someone who holds the pipe in their mouth), really, but I can mutilate the plastic stems that come with MM cobs pretty quickly.
danimalia, yes I did heard of Forever Stems for MM cobs. I myself for now had no idea regarding the fine difference between Plastic, Vulcanite and Acrylic. But only that, Vulcanite and Acrylic are generally found with high end pipes!
I would certainly look upon the other stems and would refine my knowledge!
Thank you for recommending.
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: BROBS

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
The Mark Twain, Country Gentleman, Regular and 5th Ave Diplomat, and even the Legend are great options depending on what you want.
I would get Danish stems for them... I even prefer them to forever stems.
And they are cheap.
Brobs, those all are great cobs. But for now.. I think my needs would get easily sufficed by Missouri Pride.
Danish stems are great! Not too much bend and offer easy cleaning. And looks cool too.. and I did heard lot about forever stems.
Would certainly keep your recommendation in mind..

Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: BROBS

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
You kinda can't go wrong with any of the MM cobs ...I would say though that the standard Legend bowls are great for starting out though because they have thicker walls. I started off with a Country Gent. and love it still but find that it gets really hot easily.

I find that the unfinished cobs are really good at dissipating heat, too ...I feel like the natural design of the corn cob is like a little radiator.
kg.legat0 Thank you for the insight.. yes Legends have thick refined and plastered walls that do helps in cool bowl when holding or smoking. And well said, I legit can't go wrong for MM. I hope I'll receive my package soon..
Prides do look like a perforated chimney to cast out all the hot nuisance going on in pipe that can affect the smoke and smoker alike!

Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: BROBS and kg.legat0

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I started with the country gentleman as well and your assessment of it getting hot easily is accurate. Still, feel like it takes a beating and was great for me to learn the basics of piping on without risking ruining an expensive briar.
hymnchimney, the only reason I want to begin with Cobs is to hone the skills before taking to hobby to next level!
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: hymnchimney

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I don't look at Missouri Meerschaum cobs as disposable. They can last for many years and give a fine smoke with most blends. Since a pipe can last for years or a lifetime, I would strongly suggest getting one of the special edition pipes that comes with an acrylic stem. These cost about $25 instead of $5 or $10, but you won't be buying replacement seems for it either, so it will be a savings over time and doesn't cost much to begin with. You may also replace the regular less durable stems with acrylic stems from Forever Stems, but these will end up costing a little more than just starting out with a pipe that comes with them. Some people think a cob pipe looks too folksy, but I'd smoke one if I were wearing a suit or tuxedo; they are classic pipes.
mso489, I would never consider cob pipes to be used casually.. Its America's pride and many great visionaries smoked it with great affinity. MM special editions are in my wishlist but for now.. I think humble beginnings (a cob, one matchbox, some good tobacco) will be more than enough for me!

Thank you for your recommendations.
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: Papamique and dcon

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
I love cobs and smoke em daily. I prefer to get one with a hardwood plug at bottom. I nail polish any on the bottom if they don't have it too.
I smoke Viginia/Burleys in a Twain, and Englishes in a Diplomat straight most of the time. I do love the Bent Apple diplomats for their shape. I'd go with the Twain if I could only choose one and add the Apple Diplomat if I could only have two. I actually use meerschaums and metal pipes (mostly Kirsten) on any aromatics, or any other blends whenever I feel like it as well. I do enjoy a forever stem on my Twain and Diplo Straight, that greatly increased my experiences.

Enjoy the experimenting!

Afterthought... I'd go with an Emerald or Charlestown as my first pipe if I was starting over. I like the acrylic stems that will last and be transferable to other pipes instead of buying forever stems too.

Last edited: