PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I like the Country Gentleman as well. Big pipe, and feels good in the hand.
+1

Truth be told, the dozen or so MMs I have all smoke well. I have at least one of most of their hardwood insert shapes. The minis (no insert) are great sampling pipes. I gravitate toward the Country Gent and Dane/spool for their slightly larger bowls, and the way they feel in hand.

Don‘t overlook the Wizard Cobbit. More than a gimmick, it can deliver a 2-3 hour smoke pretty easily with a slow burning burley while I smoke ribs in the Pit Barrel.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I would get Danish stems for them... I even prefer them to forever stems.
And they are cheap.
And if you buy from Aristocob.com you can order most pipes in a full choice of straigh/bent, amber/black, Danish/standard stems. Haven’t been to MM’s site in a while, but they didn’t offer that level of choice last I was there.

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Yep as you can see here lots of cob lovers. They are a nice reliable smoke. The legend is...well....a legend, but any one would be a nice choice. Just depends on the bowl size you want really. I like the standard acrylic stems, but haven't tried the fancy ones yet.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I really like that MM collaboration with C&D. Their Carolina Gent model is a superb little poker. You can't go wrong with any of them though.
magicpiper, the only reason I can't get away from these beautiful pipes is because of their simplicity. They look and sound minimalistic and hoping would deliver good service
C&D collab with MM brought out some of their best pipes to look upon. I would certainly keep your recommendations in my mind.
Thank You..
Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020..
Happy Piping! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I love cobs and smoke em daily. I prefer to get one with a hardwood plug at bottom. I nail polish any on the bottom if they don't have it too.
I smoke Viginia/Burleys in a Twain, and Englishes in a Diplomat straight most of the time. I do love the Bent Apple diplomats for their shape. I'd go with the Twain if I could only choose one and add the Apple Diplomat if I could only have two. I actually use meerschaums and metal pipes (mostly Kirsten) on any aromatics, or any other blends whenever I feel like it as well. I do enjoy a forever stem on my Twain and Diplo Straight, that greatly increased my experiences.

Enjoy the experimenting!

Afterthought... I'd go with an Emerald or Charlestown as my first pipe if I was starting over. I like the acrylic stems that will last and be transferable to other pipes instead of buying forever stems too.
maulragoth, cobs with hard plugs are important to keep the pipe in one piece together. Diplomats and Twains are great to be part of daily rotation. Diplomat pipe stem do stand apart when it comes to bent and comfort.
Different blends keeps hobby at its best.. I did heard about forever stems and would surely give it a try.

Thank you for your views!
Happy International Pipe Smoking Day!

Happy Piping.. puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
And if you buy from Aristocob.com you can order most pipes in a full choice of straigh/bent, amber/black, Danish/standard stems. Haven’t been to MM’s site in a while, but they didn’t offer that level of choice last I was there.
Parsimonious Piper, Scott from aristocob.com did taught me great things about cobs through his Youtube Channel and I did saw his collection and its truly versatile..
I would certainly give it a try soon.

Happy Piping.. puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Yep as you can see here lots of cob lovers. They are a nice reliable smoke. The legend is...well....a legend, but any one would be a nice choice. Just depends on the bowl size you want really. I like the standard acrylic stems, but haven't tried the fancy ones yet.
F4RM3R, the only reason I am going with cobs is because they are generous and humble enough to let me dive into the hobby without any major compromises.
Bowl size really matters for an individual. But I never smoked my life before.. not even a cigg so a small or mid size bowl would suffice my needs to begin with!

Yes.. legends are legends but MM pipes are all good in their own segment..

Thank You for your view..
Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020!

Happy Piping.. puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I say screw cobs. Go big or go home. Don't be a wussy.
cigrmaster, cobs will work great for me for now. And I believe beginning with a high end briar or meerschaum would be an insult from an inexperienced hobbyist like me. Going big can sometimes let a man go home real quick instead of exploring the skies!

Thank you for your view.
Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020.

Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: Lumbridge

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
+1

Truth be told, the dozen or so MMs I have all smoke well. I have at least one of most of their hardwood insert shapes. The minis (no insert) are great sampling pipes. I gravitate toward the Country Gent and Dane/spool for their slightly larger bowls, and the way they feel in hand.

Don‘t overlook the Wizard Cobbit. More than a gimmick, it can deliver a 2-3 hour smoke pretty easily with a slow burning burley while I smoke ribs in the Pit Barrel.
Parsimonious Piper, MM offers great variants in terms of size and shape. Both for sampling and daily smokes.. they can work great and can get along with a hobbyist pretty decent.

MM's Cobbit series is great that offers 3 great pipes of different sized bowls with churchwarden type pipe stem.. its a great collectible and may be used for daily smoke.

Thank you for your recommendation..
Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020..

Happy Piping! puffy

curl

Apr 29, 2014
The Rob Roy shape is my favorite MM cob pipe.
Not too big, not to small. Just right for clenching.
And recently, I paired this pipe with Briar Works nose warmer stems...a major upgrade for me.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
The Rob Roy shape is my favorite MM cob pipe.
Not too big, not to small. Just right for clenching.
And recently, I paired this pipe with Briar Works nose warmer stems...a major upgrade for me.
curl, Rob Roy shape is a good choice. For me 5th Avenue seemed good to work with. For now waiting for first Missouri Pride to get into the hobby.
Stems from third party are recommended to me by many including you. Would certainly give a try.

Happy International Pipe Smoking Day.
Happy Piping. puffy

Reactions: curl

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
F4RM3R, the only reason I am going with cobs is because they are generous and humble enough to let me dive into the hobby without any major compromises.
Bowl size really matters for an individual. But I never smoked my life before.. not even a cigg so a small or mid size bowl would suffice my needs to begin with!

Yes.. legends are legends but MM pipes are all good in their own segment..

Thank You for your view..
Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020!

Happy Piping.. puffy
Okay well then yes a cob is a great choice, especially if you are new to smoking. And the legend actually has a mid sized bowl so it might be a good one to start with.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you call MM, they customize. You can get whatever pipe/stem combo you want and can order most of their pipes unfinished by phone.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Okay well then yes a cob is a great choice, especially if you are new to smoking. And the legend actually has a mid sized bowl so it might be a good one to start with.
MM's bulldog's back. Once and for all. This last time it would be a limited edition. 100 in number. I think its can be a good grab for designated pipe smokers to get the limited edition.
This cob'll go live 20th Feb at 09:00 am Central Time.

Happy Piping! puffy IMG_20200220_125935.jpg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Is Missouri Pride Corn Cob a good option to dive into Pipe Smoking hobby? What other Missouri Meerschaum Cobs to look upon as a beginner Pipe Smoker?

IMHO, any corn cob pipe made by Missouri Meerschaum is a fantastic choice. They smoke cooler and drier than most wooden pipes.

I own several Missouri Prides (about 10) and dozens of other corn cobs. They are all great smokers. There are a few things to take into consideration when choosing one, though.

*Bowl size - The Missouri Pride has a full-size bowl, though far from being the biggest they offer. As a beginner, it may be easier to start with a smaller, and especially shallower, bowl. Starting out, it can be difficult to smoke a bowl most or all of the way down. A smaller, shallower bowl helps prevent tobacco waste. But remember not to force yourself to smoke to the bottom. You can always dry the dottle out and smoke it later.

*Stem/bit length - A longer stem and bit will smoke cooler, since the smoke travels further before reaching your mouth. The Pride has a decent length stem on it. I would avoid getting a really short 'nosewarmer' type pipe.

Filter - the Pride accepts 6mm filters if you would like to use them. I smoke mine without them just fine.

Finish - You probably noticed that Missouri Meerschaum offers both raw and filled/finished corn cobs. There are aesthetic AND functional differences. Personally, I prefer the feel of a finished cob, but I don't clench. If you clench the pipe, raw cobs are considerably lighter and better for this purpose. Raw cobs also smoke cooler and drier, in my experience, than finished ones. I have heard that finished cobs have a greater longevity, but have never had a burnout in any of them. Just don't use a torch lighter and you'll be okay.
Since the Pride is raw, expect a nice, cool, dry smoke out of a lightweight pipe with a rough natural texture on the bowl. You can clean the outside of the cob up gently with a wire brush to smooth it out.

As for my personal recommendation, I would suggest trying their Morgan model, but with a long non-filter bit, instead of the short bit. You can get the Morgan either in raw or finished, smoke it with a short or long bit, and it has a wide, but shallower bowl chamber (same diameter inside as the Pride, but shorter).

Another one I like is the Eaton. The bowl on the Eaton is the opposite - narrower in diameter, but the same depth as the Pride. The Eaton also uses a non-filter slim bit and comes in a finished version (called the Pony Express). Also, the Eaton can be purchased for only $3.

It might be a good idea to buy a larger pipe like the Missouri Pride, as well as a smaller one.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I'm obsessed with corn cob pipes and know their models pretty well.

*Edit for spelling.