PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
anotherbob, that's the beauty of cobs you see.. they are premium when it comes for the work they do at the price they are offered!
seriously. For about ten bucks to get a pipe that smokes as well as a much more expensive briar. I say they're no better or worse and it's as simple as they're easier to make and the material isn't really anywhere near as expensive. Sometimes people assume a cob isn't as good of a pipe because of the cost. Which just is not true.

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
seriously. For about ten bucks to get a pipe that smokes as well as a much more expensive briar. I say they're no better or worse and it's as simple as they're easier to make and the material isn't really anywhere near as expensive. Sometimes people assume a cob isn't as good of a pipe because of the cost. Which just is not true.
anotherbob, Cobs are underrated but potential pipe smokers around are well aware of their properties which are almost equivalent to a well made high end pipes.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I just cleaned my two Washington Rob Roy straight stemmed cobs today... (more than just run a pipe cleaner through them and swab out the chamber.

One of them is my oldest and has been abused on fishing and hunting trips. I was shocked when I cleaned the rim and did a bit more work on the chamber, that it is pretty much in as good of shape as the newer one that I have.

I need to get some forever stems for them as the plastic ones are getting a little tatty from the occasional tooth mark, but other than that they are great smokers and seem almost indestructible. It seems at this stage I could keep them for years. A+++ for MM cobs.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I just cleaned my two Washington Rob Roy straight stemmed cobs today... (more than just run a pipe cleaner through them and swab out the chamber.

One of them is my oldest and has been abused on fishing and hunting trips. I was shocked when I cleaned the rim and did a bit more work on the chamber, that it is pretty much in as good of shape as the newer one that I have.

I need to get some forever stems for them as the plastic ones are getting a little tatty from the occasional tooth mark, but other than that they are great smokers and seem almost indestructible. It seems at this stage I could keep them for years. A+++ for MM cobs.
docrameous, I think cobs are essential for potential pipe smokers around.. And they seemed to give an authenticity to pipe collection and display in mencaves..! For the price, I heard from many that they work timeless!
Happy Piping! puffy:sher:

Reactions: docrameous

dkmdvm

Lurker
Feb 7, 2020
I reach for my cobs more frequently than the briars. I like the Country Gentleman and the Little Devil Acorn. I can smoke all genres in those two pipes pretty well whereas I have had a little more difficulty in the few briars I have with moisture, tongue bite, keeping it lit, etc. Haven't been able to notice any ghosting, but I don't think my palates that good anyway. I like the smooth feel to these as well vs. the rougher finish on other models. Going to purchase the Dagner poker version next.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I reach for my cobs more frequently than the briars. I like the Country Gentleman and the Little Devil Acorn. I can smoke all genres in those two pipes pretty well whereas I have had a little more difficulty in the few briars I have with moisture, tongue bite, keeping it lit, etc. Haven't been able to notice any ghosting, but I don't think my palates that good anyway. I like the smooth feel to these as well vs. the rougher finish on other models. Going to purchase the Dagner poker version next.
dkmdvm, Dagners are great cobs too.. with natural shank and bit.. the design is vintage but said to work full proof..
Enjoy your blends and smokes..
Happy Piping! puffy