PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
So there's approximately 8 billion folks in the world, not surprising that some would think up new and innovative ways to cooking chicken. Even if it was a joke, I'm sure many took it seriously and we can't forget those gullible individuals who used Clorox or ivermectin to treat COVID. As the man said "there's a sucker born every minute."

As to the FDA perhaps they issued a PSA just because of that gullibility.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
So there's approximately 8 billion folks in the world, not surprising that some would think up new and innovative ways to cooking chicken. Even if it was a joke, I'm sure many took it seriously and we can't forget those gullible individuals who used Clorox or ivermectin to treat COVID. As the man said "there's a sucker born every minute."

As to the FDA perhaps they issued a PSA just because of that gullibility.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It seems the gubbermint warning kids not to cook chicken in NyQuil has caused kids to get really interested in cooking chicken in NyQuil.

I’m old enough to remember when the same sort of Doubting Thomases that take quack cures pushed by television gurus today refused to believe cigarettes were harmful.

I knew very good and well tobacco was bad for me, and was addictive before I started smoking at age 14.

I just thought that God might make an exception in my case.:)

I’m just glad the hangovers hurt badly enough, I didn’t get addicted to booze.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any more stories?

Cooking (sautéing?) in NyQuil is the least dangerous and far-fetched idea I've seen in ages. It might even be delicious!

I doubt there'd by any injuries or death cooking with a bit of NyQuil except for the Salmonella they'll get mishandling the raw chicken.

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Any more stories?

Cooking (sautéing?) in NyQuil is the least dangerous and far-fetched idea I've seen in ages. It might even be delicious!

I doubt there'd by any injuries or death cooking with a bit of NyQuil except for the Salmonella they'll get mishandling the raw chicken.
Actually this might be another way for kids to abuse NyQuil.

Understanding Dextromethorphan (DXM) Abuse​

Some people, especially teenagers, take large doses of NyQuil to “get high.” This is because dextromethorphan (DXM), one of NyQuil’s three active ingredients, has mind-altering effects. DXM is an ingredient in over 70 medications. In small doses, DXM is just a cough suppressant which does not pose any risks for serious side effects. DXM is not even a controlled substance. However, DXM does affect the brain. For this reason, excessive amounts of DXM can bring about hallucinations and euphoria. In other words, its effects are similar to those of illegal mind-altering substances, but because medications with DXM are legal and don’t require a prescription, some people abuse DXM as an easier alternative to recreational drugs. In fact, over 3% of American 12th graders have abused NyQuil, DayQuil, and other DXM-based medications to try to have fun. Abusing DXM is often called “skittling” or “robo-tripping”

When someone misuses NyQuil for its DXM, the consequences can be serious. The effects of a large DXM dose are actually similar to the effects of PCP, an illegal and very hazardous hallucinogen. DXM impairs coordination and judgment, which makes driving after “robo-tripping” a perilous venture. Additionally, the combination of a large dose of DXM with acetaminophen, alcohol, or antidepressants may harm the liver and cause heart attacks, seizures, and in some cases, even death. “Robo-tripping” has killed several people in recent years. Finally, people who abuse NyQuil to “get high” on DXM are at risk for developing addiction, a potentially lifelong burden. In summary, drinking NyQuil to have a good time may be legal, but it is absolutely not safe.
—-
When I was a kid some other kids (not raised by Campbellite mothers) would inhale gasoline from farm tractors or sniff airplane glue from a paper bag.

Our mothers all kept a stove poker handy at all times. When we were told not to do something stupid we knew not to cross her.

She never would spank you, but she just might kill you, should you test her patience too much.

Today the children’s services would frown on such tactics, but it did make for children growing into respectful adults.:)

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
One of the most vexatious tendencies of online culture is its inherent propensity to reward attention seeking imbeciles by granting them an inexhaustible supply of credulous and forever-mad dolts, of which are never in doubt to their own moral and intellectual superiority.

The better pranks use narrative materials with glints of truth in them, so as to reel in bigger fish. The Nyquil chicken is a good example, because Nyquil itself is already commonly abused. But if a person already understood that, then they'd know the very idea of a Nyquil chicken is dumb, because 1. you could just smash enough Nyquil or 'tussin to trip, and 2. Nyquil in particular is a rather expensive elixir, and few are going to waste enough money to sufficiently marinade a goddamn chicken with it. The Tide pods was another good one, because to little children they do look like candy, so calls to poison control centers jumped when they were first introduced. But we are talking about toddlers here, and not a rash of adolescents who know (or should) better. Very few teens or adults actually ate them, but that hasn't stopped boomers from still talking about them to this very day.

All of these dumb pranks prey on older people in particular, because they are easily cozened and inclined to believe anyone a generation or more younger than they are must be stupid, lazy, etc. And since we live in a culture that literally rewards monetarily subsidized outrage, the "journalists" get a hold of it, and the cycle repeats ad nauseum.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Pyroflatulence is one of the most amusing and under rated past times ever conceived - I would not have got through University in the U.K without the Student Union bar, cans of beans or a good curry and a box of Swann Vesta's for a Friday nights entertainment! Fart lighting - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart_lighting
To this day, I believe the hardest I’ve laughed in my whole life was watching dudes light farts on the back of the bus on the way home from a football game.

That, and the time a kid actually fell for the atomic sit-up prank and it got executed FLAWLESSLY. Chuckling now thinking about it! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: condorlover1

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
To this day, I believe the hardest I’ve laughed in my whole life was watching dudes light farts on the back of the bus on the way home from a football game.

That, and the time a kid actually fell for the atomic sit-up prank and it got executed FLAWLESSLY. Chuckling now thinking about it! 🤣
Had to google atomic sit up prank. Amazing Hahha!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
This year about 100,000 Americans will die from using substances their Mamas told them not to.

That isn’t about to stop those Mamas from preaching to do the right thing and follow the directions on the label.

We’d all be better off, if we’d just play by the rules.
Following rules are boring. You just have to be sure how far you can push yourself before you kick it. And of course, not cooking with NyQuil.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Actually, homemade spotted dick can be quite the dessert but out of a tin? No thanks either.

Regards,

Jay.
Number of years ago, I discussed this item with a mate at work. Proper English bloke. He said " gotta have Devon custard to go with it." So, I went back and got a can of Spotted Dick and a can Devon custard, and took it to work. You should have seen my female coworkers faces. During lunch, we warmed it up and had it with a spot of tea. I'm sure a lot of ladies were shocked that day.

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Number of years ago, I discussed this item with a mate at work. Proper English bloke. He said " gotta have Devon custard to go with it." So, I went back and got a can of Spotted Dick and a can Devon custard, and took it to work. You should have seen my female coworkers faces. During lunch, we warmed it up and had it with a spot of tea. I'm sure a lot of ladies were shocked that day.
Actually, spotted dick is a regular (or at least it was once) on the menu at British schools & gaols!

Not had it myself in years but the missus made it once especially for me, along with homemade custard.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: bullet08