PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up sniffing glue, plastic model airplane cement to be exact, only because I started building model planes, cars, and ships. Though it was a pleasant smell to me, I never inhaled it with the idea of getting a high, which wasn't a "thing" when I was doing this in the early fifties. Later, in a neighbor friend's basement workshop, I found I could make models out of wood from scratch, with no model kit, and no plastic glue, only wood glue.

Later, when youngsters started sniffing glue as an intoxicant, the idea made me sick, not out of moral indignation, but because the idea of exaggerating that smell as a high felt nauseating.

I don't even take NyQuil as a cold remedy. When I have a cold or fever, I get naturally fatigued and only want an anti-inflammatory and bedrest.

Many recreational highs are deadly. When you start cooking pharmaceuticals, there's no telling what chemical interactions or doses you may inhale or imbibe. Meth labs use cold medicine as an ingredient and meth labs are notoriously toxic to the meth makers and law enforcement as well, not to mention the intended customers.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Actually, homemade spotted dick can be quite the dessert but out of a tin? No thanks either.

Regards,

Jay.
I had to look up what spotted dick and Devonshire pudding were. They sound tasty. I’m going to have to make some.

I wonder if it pairs better with NyQuil or Robotussin?

Apparently the word dick shares an etymological root with the word dough.
Learn something every day.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I had to look up what spotted dick and Devonshire pudding were. They sound tasty. I’m going to have to make some.

I wonder if it pairs better with NyQuil or Robotussin?

Apparently the word dick shares an etymological root with the word dough.
Learn something every day.
The term is not as old as some would think being first recorded in 1849.

Spotted Dick.

A traditional British steamed pudding made with suet and dried fruit, esp. currants or raisins.

Etymology: < spotted adj. + Dick, pet form of the male forename Richard (see dick n.1).

1849 A. Soyer Mod. Housewife 350 Plum Bolster, or Spotted Dick.—Roll out two pounds of paste.., have some Smyrna raisins well washed [etc.].

1892 Pall Mall Gaz. 15 Dec. 2/3 The Kilburn Sisters..daily satisfy hundreds of dockers with soup and Spotted Dick.

1939 M. Dickens One Pair of Hands vi. 102 I have had to discover how to make all sorts of revolting things, like Sago, Spotted Dick, Blancmange and Prune Mould, but I suppose it's all part of one's education.

1972 J. Wilson Hide & Seek vii. 121 It was spotted dick for dinner—my favourite.

2011 Educ. Researcher 40 16/2 The gray and tasteless school dinner of common lore, always with a pudding, like spotted dick.

Regards,

Jay.