PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Copperhead and black widow here, not pleasant. My cobalt blue pictured above is known to cause convulsions, but many are harmless.
yeah black widow bites suck. My favorite part is muscle aches, they're like the ache you get from mass inactivity like your legs after a long cramped car ride while also having the I moved several couches today that still had people sitting on them. Yes both types of aches at once. All in all only one of us survived that encounter so...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
yeah black widow bites suck. My favorite part is muscle aches, they're like the ache you get from mass inactivity like your legs after a long cramped car ride while also having the I moved several couches today that still had people sitting on them. Yes both types of aches at once. All in all only one of us survived that encounter so...
It's like a toothache that goes straight to the bone.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What was most amazing was the doctor's hesitancy about antivenom. She said allergic reaction from it may be more hazardous than the bite itself.
yeah that's why I didn't get the antivenom. The thing is in a small but real number of people it makes all the issues worse like one out of ten or even less. I thought I can hack this, it sucks but I'll manage, if it was worse not so sure how well I'd handle it.

On what basis do you reject blends so varied and so many as blended by an entire House, McClelland or Sutliff? You decide. But I have a hard time understanding this.
For me, Sutliff is just a top notch aromatics "house" to use your term. Sure, they offer a few non-aros, but they just don't appeal to me. I still get a hint of their house sauce on them. And, folks will mention that they make things for other "houses." And, if I was a company wanting to outsource an aromatic to be made for me, I'd use them too. But, there's just not anything on their list that appeals to me. And, when I mention this, it always seems to crawl under some people's skins.

I love McClellands, but I can see how their "house" sauce could be a turn off to some, so it doesn't bother me when folks say they hate them. It's not my job to make other people like what I like, and it kills me to see when folks take this stuff that seriously. We've become such tender people. Like they are protecting a special needs kid getting bullied on the playground.

But, the thread is what we hate, so we really shouldn't be reading this thread looking for things to get butt hurt about. It's just a fun thread to share our dislikes. I dig it. camaraderie. It's a cool thing.

I kill spiders in the house, and my families appreciates it. I kills snakes close to my house. It really doesn't bother me if this upsets tender hearts. I don't like cobs, but I'm not coming to anyone's house to take theirs away. if you like snakes and spiders, good. Keep them at your house. I've also shot coyotes attacking my dogs. And, I have a few top notch artisan pipes relegated to the back of drawers because I just don't like them. I've thrown away a Peterson, and if this all makes me a lesser human in the eyes of others, well... that really doesn't bother me. puffy

It actually makes me smile that someone else hates, despises Danish made pipes... that I love. And, if someone said that they hated them so much that they fly into a rage at the mere sight of them... I'd giggle, while packing up my Neerup to smoke. I actually like that we are all different. Hell, I love C&D blends, and everytime Skip is at The Briary, I love to ask him when he is going to start carrying them, just to see him get mad and spit on the floor. Embrace the damned rainbow. puffy

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Most of what I smoke has Latakia, and much also has some Perique.

But I am wondering about your handle! Are you a musician? The kg means.....? If too nosy, I will understand no reply.

I am fortunate that I do love Perique!! ...someday Latakia and I will be friends. I smoked some C&D Junkyard Dawg, that got me close to enjoying some Lat :)

and, yes! I am indeed a musician -i play out all the time when there isn't a plague, mostly jazz/funk/jamband stuff. if you can see my signature there are some links to my music. cheers! puffy

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I am fortunate that I do love Perique!! ...someday Latakia and I will be friends. I smoked some C&D Junkyard Dawg, that got me close to enjoying some Lat :)

and, yes! I am indeed a musician -i play out all the time when there isn't a plague, mostly jazz/funk/jamband stuff. if you can see my signature there are some links to my music. cheers! puffy
Followed the link and you are very talented indeed!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I shouldn't even post on a thread about the pipes I don't like because pipes of all kinds are my weakness. My local pipe shop owner, seeing me studying the pipe wall, asked me if I saw something I liked, and I told him I was looking for something I didn't like. Still, I will say, I'm partial to pipes that don't pack on the weight to the pipe unnecessarily. Some artisans and some brands tend to make all or most of their pipes on a scale and in a design that makes 2.5 oz the absolute minimum, with 4 oz being perfectly reasonable. Heavy to clench even to light. For the iron-jawed, this makes no difference, but for most of us, a little attention to keeping the weight down on many if not all pipes is a courtesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.