PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Try washing your Turkish meers in hot water a few times....(Flushing out the chamber and airway.)

I generally don't like the water flush method on my pipes, but I admittedly have done this a few times. If anything it makes the problem worse(or at least persist). The airway funk and cake that everyone seems to want to prevent in Turkish meerschaum is exactly what I tend to let happen to make them smoke well. Maybe I live in opposite land, but the more I codger them, and neglect them, the less I notice the weird smell and I-just-licked-a-rock taste.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
One of the things I really like about a Dunhill is that no one makes a Billiard as well as they do. Their Billiard is the epitome of what a pipe should look like. Their 60's LB to my eye is the finest looking billiard that has ever been made. Others will disagree but that is ok. I know what I like and I love a great classic billiard better than any other shape.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Disliking stuff is my specialty. I try not to show it, but since this thread is all about disliking, here goes: Neerup, too much bling and curly swirly. Also they're front heavy. Winsløv, most of them look cheap and amateurishly designed.
Peder Jeppesen, Suhr, Nørding etc. All these danish craftsmen fail to make designs that look balanced to me.
Tom Eltang. His simpler pipes look stupid and his more elaborate pieces, although beautiful works of art, are simply not pipes. Sculptures maybe.
Anne Julie. Most of her recent pipes look like handmade chocolate bars.
Dagner. Don't like them.
There are soooo many, I can't come up with them all. Dunhills are classy, but too expensive of course.
Cobs. Ugly.
Castello goddammit. There are some nice ones, but they are few and far between, and very very expensive, when you hit the higher grades.
Hawkbills and eskimos. Acorns and tomatos.
I'm gonna take a break now...
wonderful. I agree so much about the Danish pipes. I always imagine the high end ones sitting in a den or office displayed proudly and maybe a bowl of captain black got smoked in it once.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Turkish Meerschaum. Of the 5 or 6 I have owned, they all smell funny when they warm up, and add a weird mineral-ey taste to everything. African Meers don't seem to have this problem for me.

I also don't like people who mislead others with absolute statements like, "Meers are impervious to ghosting", "They never gurgle", or even "They will make you as badass as Lee Van Cleef". I am even Dutch, and nobody has ever mistaken me for a hatchet-faced badass.
I think meers ghost just less permanently then briar.

Reactions: edger

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
And i don't like pipes that look like a dick.

Perhaps impolite to enquire, but I do wonder if if we're discussing the real deal "dick" or something just "dick-like." This then may place me by you in one or both categories, but to catch your meaning I assay so bold.
Yes. Both.
I saw a pipe on-line recently called a "jellyfish" and it looked like it had been circumcised.

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Well, since someone brought up Sutliff... and, knowing that I will be pilloried for saying this,

I don't like McClelland. (except for Master Penman which I can no longer get.)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
On what basis do you reject blends so varied and so many as blended by an entire House, McClelland or Sutliff? You decide. But I have a hard time understanding this.

When I was young my pipe mentor told me that McClelland bites, and I steered clear of them for several years. Irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.