PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone denies being a hipster. The thing is I think we're all secretly hipsters. And really hipsters are just nerds that think they're cool.
As a straw hat wearing, almost 60, pipe smoking, banjo playing, bowtie, vintage eyewear wearing guy, I beg to differ. I AM NOT A HIPSTER. Hipsters merely emulate my sense of style and sophistication out of pure green eyed envy and spite. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As a straw hat wearing, almost 60, pipe smoking, banjo playing, bowtie, vintage eyewear wearing guy, I beg to differ. I AM NOT A HIPSTER. Hipsters merely emulate my sense of style and sophistication out of pure green eyed envy and spite. puffy
spoken like a grade A certified hipster. Don't worry once you accept the truth that we're all hipsters it gets easier.

spoken like a grade A certified hipster. Don't worry once you accept the truth that we're all hipsters it gets easier.
But, I’ve had a beard since 88. I had a mullet when mullets were cool. I’ve actually said “business in the front, party in the back,” and I wasn’t even being ironic. Sure, I have like a thousand albums on vinyl, but not a single one of them is obscure... well, there is my polka section, but that was a weird phase. My first concert was Shanana! I think I played My last “cool” card when I traded a Chevette for a Pinto.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They go for ironic nonfashion until they realize its trendy.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
But, I’ve had a beard since 88. I had a mullet when mullets were cool. I’ve actually said “business in the front, party in the back,” and I wasn’t even being ironic. Sure, I have like a thousand albums on vinyl, but not a single one of them is obscure... well, there is my polka section, but that was a weird phase. My first concert was Shanana! I think I played My last “cool” card when I traded a Chevette for a Pinto.
now you're just messing with me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
They go for ironic nonfashion until they realize its trendy.
one of the things I always found funny about the anti=establishment anti-normal crowds (hipsters, goths [vamp hipsters], punks, dirt punks, bohemians, and all the others) is how deeply conformist they really are. How deeply and seriously codified all of their fashions, opinions, and other tastes. I always find it funny how many times they're offended by the I don't like the Artic Monkeys or whatever average band is supposed to be great for the next few weeks. The irony is they're always imitating some group of artists who are actually unique and personally expressive, yet we keep coming up with new names for them. I guess it's easier to use a cookie cutter on ones personality then it is to just be honest with and about ones self.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't like pipes finished with some kind of decal or process to give a kind of silkscreen effect of colors. I suspect they don't wear well, and the colors just get muddy, but even new, they just look kind of glitzy. Somewhere there is one that would appeal to me, but I ain't looking for it. Footnote: I took a short course in creative thinking in organizations, and it was pointed out that negative comments were regarded as more intelligent than creative ones, even if the creative ideas were good. This thread illustrates that people are quite expressive about what they don't like, I guess including me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't like mixed media, so to speak, in pipes or houses. Pipes- even quaints leave me cold, or partially rusticated/blasted. Houses- too many materials for the sides, unless they are cleverly done. I suppose cars the same, though a woodie is an exception.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'd love to be a hipster, but I'm hopeless at trends, too lazy to care about them. And I have a sentimental streak, which doesn't go well with the ironic approach.

It's hard to be a hipster and a family man, luckily. If I walk through the living room wearing a fedora, my wife and son would heckle me out of the house..

The jokes about my pipe smoking abound. :ROFLMAO:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
It's hard to be a hipster and a family man, luckily. If I walk through the living room wearing a fedora, my wife and son would heckle me out of the house..

The jokes about my pipe smoking abound. :ROFLMAO:
My wife always refers to my pipe smoking as an "old man" thing and makes jokes about grey beards, santa claus, Gandalf, retirement communities, senior citizen smells, etc.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
My wife always refers to my pipe smoking as an "old man" thing and makes jokes about grey beards, santa claus, Gandalf, retirement communities, senior citizen smells, etc.

Young Santa Claus, is a running joke.. They say I'm like Tim Allen in The Santa Claus.. I've grown a beard and gained some weight over the past few years. :ROFLMAO:

The upside is that it turns out my wife has a thing for santa, so that's provided some entertaining stuff. Sometimes shit just works out.?

Status
Not open for further replies.