PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I mentioned the Gold Block because weirdly my local B&M (that has the oddest selection of tins ever) has it and the commercial of the old man at the country club snaking that guys Gold Block makes me laugh

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
jmsmitty6 I would go St. Bruno first. There is little to no controversy on that blend - that is if you are looking for a high quality smoke, with an all day potential. not that condor is not quality, but as can be seen above some may like it some may not for that iffy casing issue, and you will likely fall into one of the two categories.

Reactions: edger

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My vote goes to St Brunos by Mc Barens and then Condor Long + Revor Plugs by G&H, Yet I'm pretty poor at preparing plug tobaccies , but thats Ok
Ahh yes, I like how you snuck Revor Plug in there, good man. I used to have a hard time with Plugs due to arthritis in my wrists but I couldn’t let that keep me from smoking my precious plugs so I bought an old plug cutter from eBay, cleaned it up, sharpened the blade and now I’m good to go, it literally cuts the plugs like butter, thin, perfectly formed flakes. I highly recommend getting one, you can find them for a good price if you keep your eyes peeled.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hawky do you mean that circular type of blade, or something more complicated, when you say plug cutter? Could you please post a pic, I am curious?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I can’t ever remember which image apps work with this site so I’ll provide you with an eBay link to the exact one that I purchased. This is a “buy it now” listing and I’d say it’s well worth that price even with shipping. I got mine for a bit cheaper but I’ve never seen them go for as cheap as the one I got, however mine was a bit beat up but with some tlc it’s cleaned right up and works great. Check this listing out HERE

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Look closely at the blade though, it has some small chunks missing and you wouldn’t be able to cut all the way through the plug with that. I had to rig mine up to where I cut out one of those flimsy cutting boards and I glued it to the base of the cutting board so it cuts all the way through with ease, it was an easy fix. I was also surprised out how sharp I got the blade with just a diamond bench stone. Those blades are hardened steel so you may have a hard time finding someone in your city to cut you a new one, that was my original plan but my plan b worked out just fine. Like I said, the leverage you get from these things cuts the plugs like butta. Now that I look at it more, I personally wouldn’t buy the one I linked, that blade is just to damaged. Keep your eyes open though and you’ll find something.

Mar 29, 2016
Condor, I don't love it and I don't hate it. An interesting smoke but not something I would go out of my way to get. I prefer Condor Long Cut(Brown).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The blade is in rough shape. In addition to the chunks missing, it does't look aligned in its slots.

s-l1600.jpg

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Love it - It could be an all day/every day for me. I like the ribbon best... but it's all good. I haven't tried the new Polish Condor and I'm a bit hesitant based on what I've heard here.

Reactions: rushx9

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Love! I was gifted a plug a while back(thank you once again!You know who you are!) and I loved every smoke it provided. I bought a couple plugs from Pipe Divan immediately afterward. Paid a plug forward to someone wanting to try it and have one left in my cellar. Id smoke it everyday if it was easier to get.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Since St. Bruno is easily obtainable from MacBaren that is what I smoke more often, though I have a little stash of Condor, which I like a little more than St. Bruno. What MacBaren needs to do, IMHO, is to sell a St. Bruno plug. Now that would be nice. It has to be a plug to begin with right, since they offer flakes for sale?

Reactions: edger and rushx9

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I think st bruno is under appreciate, given the fact that less delicious blends are readily available all over the place, and st bruno is not. It must be a supply and demand thing, which means I am subjective when saying st bruno is delicious. And yea a st bruno plug... that would hit the spot :mrgreen:

Mar 29, 2016
I had St.Bruno Flake yesterday, much better aromatic than Condor Ready Rubbed (Green). Another one is the plug version of SG 1792 Flake, Cob Plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.